Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bug: Kamikaze glitches in 0.8.5  (Read 12332 times)
faoa
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 01, 2010, 12:48:49 PM »

hey,
I found two glitches (so far) with the new kamikaze item.

1. Kamikaze doesn't kill you. If you quickly enter a portal after triggering kamikaze you can easily survive.

2. Kamikaze item is kept after respawn: If you have the item and get fragged (but not if you got in the "wrong place"), after respawn you can still trigger the kamikaze (once). and if you do not hit enter after respawn, I think its triggered automatically after a certain time (but I didn't test it so far).

With the first glitch I can live (actually its kinda cool ;-), but the second one is really annoying. So would be good if that could be fixed...

TIA
faoa

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 01:19:47 PM »

heh, I suppose you were the one notifying me about that issue tonight on ROFL, if not, then that confirms these (the 2nd point in particular) issues.

Welcome on the board Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 01:26:24 PM »

I didn't know you could still trigger the item after death.

The item is supposed to remain on the death corpse and detonate after 3 seconds unless the corpse is gipped before that.

I guess a kamikaze item is supposed to kill you otherwise it is a bit cheap.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »

Kamikaze worked that way in Team Arena AFAIK.
When your character dies, if (s)he isn't gibbed, after some secs, Kamikaze will trigger. So... the key to counteract it is "shoot and shoot until it gibs".

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:08:22 PM »

I reconfirm this weird behaviour. The skull remains on our corpse, we respawn, but it booms where we appeared, not where the skull was left. Can the "no sound when suicide with the kamikaze bonus" be a related problem ?

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:57:49 PM »

A year and a half later... why nobody reported this before?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 05:59:29 AM »

Maybe because this bonus only appears in a few maps, and because these items weren't activated before. Also because servers use stable versions, they are less likely to test the others. As it seems for openarena, bug hunting is better done right after a release rather than along the development.

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »

kamikaze item? Like the self-detonation thing from mines or you mean /kill?
faoa
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 07:01:57 AM »

Hey I did some further testing:

If your corpse is gibbed everything is fine and works as expected (no boom).

If you die and your corpse is not gibbed and you don't re-spawn (wait), then your corpse/skull booms after some secs (works also as expected).

The bug is if you re-spawn and your player corpse vanishes (without being gibbed), then the boom is triggered at your current position (with a slight offset).

So I think the bug is related to the server settings, I couldn't reproduce it in a local game and on the ROFL server with only two player in total it also seems to work.

My guess (as no programmer) the boom should be bound to the corpse position (i.e. the last position of it), instead to the pos of the player model.

hth faoa

PS:
this
1. Kamikaze doesn't kill you. If you quickly enter a portal after triggering kamikaze you can easily survive.
seems only to work if it is the bug related triggering, couldn't do this with manual triggering.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 07:32:35 AM »

Ahh... that is important information. I could not reproduce it either.

So the problem: Is the kemikazi is supposed to detonate -> the game looks for place to detonate (looks for the player id around where it thinks the corpse landed) -> because the corpse do not exist the closest spawn place is the living player with the same id.

Does make sense now.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2010, 10:43:32 AM »

I add: on that same server, online, while playing 1vs1 VS a bot, the kamikaze worked as expected. It boomed where the corpse was left, not where I respawned.

I changed nothing meanwhile server-side (nor client-side).

faoa
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »

Another Info:
If you wait some seconds (2-3) before hitting fire to re-spawn, the kamikaze explosion takes place at the corpse place!

Dunno if that helps for fixing that bug, but it surely helps for gameplay ;-)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 09:09:21 PM »

That's the common behavior of the item on Q3TA AFAIK. If the player's corpse isn't gibbed, then after some seconds Kamikaze is triggered.

faoa
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 04:48:27 AM »

That's the common behavior of the item on Q3TA AFAIK. If the player's corpse isn't gibbed, then after some seconds Kamikaze is triggered.

Yes I know this, you already said so in the 4th post ...

What I meant is: If you wait some time (maybe its rather 1-2 seconds), but still respawn before kamikaze is triggered, then the kamikaze is triggerd at the corpse place - contrary to an instant respawn where the kamikaze takes place at the current player position.

I hope this is more clear now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: