Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Adding overbounce at servers  (Read 14835 times)
adriano

Cakes 4

« on: May 30, 2010, 04:05:11 AM »

Hello everybody,
perhaps I am saying now s.th. stupid, but I try it anyway.
E.g. on the server  RN|VQ3 DEFRAG you can do overbounce (here a video from me of what i mean:  http://www.zshare.net/video/761615333b85ad9e/ ) and in CTF servers you can't. So my asks: Do that is an other physic or is overbounce disabled? When yes, how can I enable it (if I would be the admin of the server) or do there is an other way to add overbounce? Command?

I hope for answers,
Thx from *SoS*
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 04:31:39 AM »

you're right, OBs are deactivated on some servers (super,ctf for example) Sad

why, oh why?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 04:33:24 AM »

Not sure... Not played Defrag much.
Anyway, I think Defrag can work with VQ3 or CPMA physics (I remember a such option when I tried it years ago). VQ3 stands for "Vanilla Quake 3" and means the standard Quake 3 (OpenArena, in our case) physics. CPMA stands for "Challenge Pro Mode Arena" (like the mod that first introduced it), simply known as ProMode... this second kind of physics should allow more player control, but I almost never used it... I don't know if overvouce is part of it, or if it has a dedicated setting, or is avaible on other mods than Defrag.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 04:49:08 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2010, 04:44:33 AM »

OpenArena does not actively disable any physic behavior. However if overbounce is framerate dependent it can have disappeared or requires a different height than with the physical framerate.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2010, 05:09:51 AM »

Ok, firstly thanks for the fast answer.

I noticed that when i am in a CTF server and try the OB at oa_ctf4ish, then it works only 1 of 15 times or so. In VQ3 Defrag it works 9 of 10 times....

OBs are deactivated on some servers (super,ctf for example)
How can it be activated?
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 10:47:47 AM »

Anyway, I think Defrag can work with VQ3 or CPMA physics (I remember a such option when I tried it years ago). VQ3 stands for "Vanilla Quake 3" and means the standard Quake 3 (OpenArena, in our case) physics. CPMA stands for "Challenge Pro Mode Arena" (like the mod that first introduced it), simply known as ProMode... this second kind of physics should allow more player control, but I almost never used it... I don't know if overvouce is part of it, or if it has a dedicated setting, or is avaible on other mods than Defrag.

Defrag CPM implementation is close to the very first version ( CPM1 or PMC - Pro Mode Classic ) but I guess it's an approximation because I've read somewhere they've never used pmc1 implementation code which is around here and there.

Anyway I guess CPM doesn't have OB, so it should be basically a BUG or feature - it depends on the points of view - of VQ3 only physics.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 06:54:37 AM »

Anyway I guess CPM doesn't have OB
CPM has OB!

How can it be activated?

Nobody knows ?
Falkland

Cakes 6

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 08:08:02 AM »

Anyway I guess CPM doesn't have OB
CPM has OB!

NO , CPM has not OB ... defrag implementation is not CPM , but a CPM approximation coded starting by VQ3.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 05:30:44 AM »

Well, I am a bit confused. Huh So...my definitely ask: Can OBs be activated on CTF-server? When says, HOW?
(I have contact with some server admins)
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 05:58:10 AM »

The CPMA mod disabled overbounces intentionally because they were seen as a gimmick, and CPMA is a competition mod.

I haven't tried, but I would assume that overbounces would still be present in the Defrag implementation of the CPM physics, seeing how they are important for many trickjumps.

Anyway, if you say that you can hit an overbounce 1 out of 15 tries, then they are obviously still there.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:56:01 AM »

Stalker, a defrag player, told me that the 1of15 ob is a random OB. It's not a normal OB.Sooo.... Huh
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »

How can it be activated?

They can't, and they are not disabled on superctf server (as to my knowledge).

There are 2 different bounces that you may refer to : overbounce and slope bounce :

- overbounce is a bug which affects the vanilla engine when you fall from some certain heights (_very_ specific heights). They can't be disabled unless you make a custom mod to do so.

- slope bounce is a feature of some custom mods which add more jump height when you jump on a slope, or on a stair, or on a wall (like in ps37ctf). This is NOT in the vanilla engine, you have to use a mod like Defrag (with promode physics) or CPMA or Excessive Plus in order to activate this feature.

Another thing to note is that those mods that are designed for tricks probably enhances some features to make them more stable (like probably the overbounce).

/EDIT : I just watched the video, it's indeed an overbounce. Just a question : did you do it with VQ3 or promode physics on the Defrag server ? Because physics are significantly altered in these two modes (promode is known to ease the basic tricks).

/EDIT2 : In the video, I can see that promode is disabled, but you are using pmove_fixed 1. This means that your FPS doesn't influence your tricks, since physics are computed serverside with pmove_fixed 1. That's not the case on superctf, as pmove_fixed is disabled there.

Try to disable pmove_fixed, map_restart and retry the overbounce. You can do that locally, on your own computer (to be able to change that setting since it's serverside).

If your OB doesn't work anymore, this means that you have to tweak your com_maxfps setting.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 02:35:58 PM by GrosBedo » Logged
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 11:01:45 AM »

Firstly, thank you for answering and giving all this information.

did you do it with VQ3 or promode physics on the Defrag server ? Because physics are significantly altered in these two modes (promode is known to ease the basic tricks).
How i said, it was in the server RN|VQ3 DEFRAG . More I don't know.  Rest In PEACE!

/EDIT2 : In the video, I can see that promode is disabled, but you are using pmove_fixed 1. This means that your FPS doesn't influence your tricks. That's not the case on superctf, as pmove_fixed is disabled there (pmove_fixed is known to be buggy in vanilla engine).
Yea, that's right. I entered pmove_fixed "1" and restarted the map. Then the "1" got automatically to "0".

Then I opened a map locally (serverlist->create). How you know, you can choose the physics there, like "accurate", "framerate depend", "fixed framerate 91Hz" and "fixed framerate 125Hz".

I tried all of them, only with "fixed framerate 125Hz" (I get low fps because of fixed lightmap on 0.8.5) and pmove_fixed "1" I got the bounce.

So now my asks: With which command can the admin of a server choose between physic (accurate, framerate depend, fixed fr...) and enable pmove_fixed or isn't that possible?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2010, 12:43:35 PM »

I tried all of them, only with "fixed framerate 125Hz" (I get low fps because of fixed lightmap on 0.8.5) and pmove_fixed "1" I got the bounce.

So now my asks: With which command can the admin of a server choose between physic (accurate, framerate depend, fixed fr...) and enable pmove_fixed or isn't that possible?
"fixed framerate 125Hz" is equal to:
pmove_float 0
pmove_fixed 1
pmove_msec 8

There are nothing offending in my posts.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2010, 02:48:43 PM »

Stalker, a defrag player, told me that the 1of15 ob is a random OB. It's not a normal OB.Sooo.... Huh

Last thing : I don't know what Stalker has been refering to, but there are only 3 types of OBs : vertical OB, horizontal OB and diagonal OB.

Basically, they all work the same way :

1- You fall from a certain specific and exact height (there are some exact calculations over the net for Defrag mappers) − by jumping, just falling off the ledge, plasma jumping (K4N) or rocket jumping or even just rocket (no jump !) − to activate an OB.
There is a defrag var to show a height meter, take a look at the defrag doc.

2- Then, what changes, is what you do when you touch the ground :

- Vertical OB : you need to do nothing (NO JUMP), but just stay at 0 UPS (no movement in any direction at all), even when you touch the floor.
Effect : you will bounce back to the exact same height from which you have fallen. Combine that with a rocket or plasma wall climbing and you can achieve great tricks.

- Horizontal OB : get some speed/ups in the direction you want to get a boost, then jump when you touch the ground (when you hear your character hurting, that's the right time). This one is hard, it needs practice.
Effects : you will get a speed boost (max around 1500 ups) as soon as you jump from the ground.

- Diagonal OB : proceed like the Horizontal OB, but here you must carefully choose the number of UPS you have : don't exceed 2 or 3 ups.
Effects : you will get a semi speed boost in the selected direction, but you will bounce high in the air too.

I hope it can help some of you guys.

More infos about Defrag and OBs :
http://superbots.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=398
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:25:33 PM by GrosBedo » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: