Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: tribute maps  (Read 12067 times)
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« on: June 29, 2010, 07:39:58 PM »

Ok so I hear that some maps are going to be "retired" as tribute maps. And I was wondering if the map suction was going to be in that package? and what is going to happen to the map am_galmevish? because to be honest that is the worst map out there imo. The only health are 4 green bubbles!!! other then that it is a fine map, but THERE IS NO HEALTH!!! I callvote_nextmap whenever that map comes up. So please someone please tell me that that map is going to be changed or removed.  Sad

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »

Not sure that is the worst map out there. I would have to say Czest1tourney is the worst map out there at least for most it seems because it is so unforgiving because of the narrow space hallways of death and the fact that it also comes with the added fun of lava. All of these things usually cause most people to end with a negative score. Although I must admit it has kind of grown on me and I play it a lot more now when I am in the mood and have gotten better and usually don’t end with a negative score. Yeah I too think that am_glamevish needs some more health but other than that it seems fine to me and is one of my favorite maps to play on.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:07:51 AM »

Except for the fact that there are not enough health bonuses, I find am_galmevish one of the best maps in the game. It's simple and wide... I like it very much. It is great for Elimination mode, you have the space needed to use rocket jumps at will. I would like it to not being removed from the base game, but if all tributes will be moved to the separate packages, I suppose there is not much to say... BTW: from what game it is inspired, just to know?

As someone told in another thread, the sources should be in <root>/Source/Assets/Maps on the SVN repository. Fixing that map adding some items, in particular health bonuses, should be easy enough for a mapper (which I am not)... I suggest to fix it before the new release of OpenArena (and the add-on tribute map-pack) comes out. What do you think about it?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:20:12 AM »

Ok so I hear that some maps are going to be "retired" as tribute maps.

Only the Q1 and Q3 remake maps will be retired as "tribute" maps, and will be offered as a separate package for download. Removing any other maps should be discussed either in their respective topic (help improve them), or in the next release topic. But remember that we can only remove maps in the next major version (probably 0.9.0), the patches can only add maps.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 06:14:39 AM »

ok i like the map. as you said its simple and wide. but the lack of health pisses me off soooooooooo much because not matter how good you are you WIll die after killing someone because they will respawn and kill you quickly because you have no health and cant get more without dying. So skill means nothing, they can just keep machineguning you to death. and Czest1tourney is ment to be unforgiving. and as you said if you practice you CAN survive and not die. but on am_galmevish its a guarantee!  Cry

Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 06:15:37 AM »

Since some of these tribute maps are being retired I was wondering are there going to be maps to replace?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 06:45:55 AM »

Ehm... am_galmevish wasn't even supposed to have health on it, considering the maps that inspired it (Unreal series' Morbias maps, and DM-Gael and DM-Leviathan from UT200X) I threw several packs of health (and several weapons which wasn't even supposed to be there) there to make it to not to look so "ripoff" of those.

Plus, it's NOT and it WILL NEVER BE a competitive map, just a lazy fun one. There're already plenty of competitive maps out there.

EDIT: I've tried in the past to make a competitive one, but few cared for it. (Not going to name them here, they know who they are Wink) Of course, when you get asshole comments such as "I don't give a curse about your maps" like that one I've received long ago in another thread, well, why should we care for those fandumbs who in all reality don't give a d@mn about OA?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 07:07:12 PM by |TXC| Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 10:26:31 AM »

ok i can accept that it isnt a competitive map but lacking health makes me sad regardless Cry

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 10:36:03 AM »

In only there were some "elimination" servers out there... people could enjoy it more...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
NetMassimo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 02:06:22 AM »

I find am_galmevish funny. It's hard due to the lack of health but it's part of the fun for me.

Czest1tourney is good for camping: I go get the railgun then stay on the place and start railing the bots that come in sight. Wink

Ciao Smiley
Massimo
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 03:04:54 AM »

EDIT: I've tried in the past to make a competitive one, but very few cared for it. Of course, when you get asshole comments such as "I don't give a curse about your maps" like that one I've received long ago in another thread, well, why should we care for those fandumbs who in all reality don't give a d@mn about OA?
Uh? The only "curse" word I find in that thread is where you were experiencing upload problems...
I just give a rapid look to that thread, but, even if with some niggle about some crates, it seems to me that the comments were very positive...

Anyway, in general, don't let someone able only to criticize without making good proposals distract you from your goal... Smiley

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 06:14:48 PM »

why should we care for those fandumbs who in all reality don't give a d@mn about OA?
If it ain't promode it ain't worth playing.

Yeah, I hate that mentality too. I really hate it. It's so stupid. A promoder wanted to take lead of the project once years ago... imagine how worse that would've turned out for the project!!!

That's why i'm not really letting go of the project. I feel if someone else lead it, there'd be no target vision. My love of the game is for a whole another reason, the kind that made Q3 peak in 2000-2001.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 07:00:29 PM »

And I had that line in my head over... 9 months.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2010, 06:58:43 PM »

sry if i come off as promode or whatever. im perfectly fine with just playing for fun Tongue ...just kinda... like health Azn

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: