Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Excessive Plus v2.1  (Read 13590 times)
rabusmar
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: July 04, 2010, 05:29:01 PM »

Excessive Plus v2.1 for OpenArena has been released. Here is the download link:
http://wasp.goquake.com/clan/xp-oa-2.1.zip

Notable features:

- Can be used as a server-side-only mod, without requiring the client to install any pk3 (client modifications are highly encouraged tho, specially for gametypes specific to Excessive Plus).
- Over 400 options to configure almost any aspect of the game, using a custom scripting engine that doesn't polute the oa engine with lots of new cvars.
- Improved unlagged support, notably full unlagged for projectiles on close range.
- Crontab and rotation script-based systems.
- Bans system (not as advanced as 0.8.5 OA admin module tho).
- Server-side script-based map modification.
- Bright skins.
- Matchmode for competitive gaming, including referee support, locking and specklocking, round warmup, timeouts, red and blue spectators and more.
- Customizable HUDs.
- Multiview demos.
- Ingame stats.
- Player aliases database, and countries information.
- Several "fancy" effects, like names, scoreboard, hitsounds and voice/radio chats.
... and a lot more!
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 01:56:20 AM »

Great news ! And thank you very much for being so responsive to feedback and bugs reports, your dev team done a great job !

Best parts :
- Improved unlagged support, notably full unlagged for projectiles on close range.
- Bright skins.
- Matchmode for competitive gaming, including referee support, locking and specklocking, round warmup, timeouts, red and blue spectators and more.
- Customizable HUDs.
- Multiview demos.

This will help the competitive scene of the OA community a lot, thank you very much for what you've done !
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 03:38:42 AM »

Yes, I think too that this would help to get openarena more competetive. We know it all, the OA community is shrinking (servers/players), so something must be changed! And that is for my opinion a right way to do. I don't want misunderstanded or be angry with you, fromhell, but that is the opinion of a lot of players. You gave us this wonderful free game, thank you very much for that, but the community wants more (OA makes really fun, but after hours of playing, there isn't more to discover...) and I can understand that. So let's do it!

So this was only a little feedback to the OA developers, so please accept my opinion. I want still play OA and not be banned (you know).

So thank you all who works on OpenArena !!!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:22:28 AM by adriano » Logged
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 04:22:27 AM »

We know it all, the OA community is shrinking (servers/players), so something must be changed!

Some OA players started a competitive mod under the working title oaUnofficial. They have a fair and friendly relation to OA, so I think the casual vs. competitive issue is settled. Please don't resurrect it!

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 05:10:25 AM »

We know it all, the OA community is shrinking (servers/players), so something must be changed!

Some OA players started a competitive mod under the working title oaUnofficial. They have a fair and friendly relation to OA, so I think the casual vs. competitive issue is settled. Please don't resurrect it!

Ok, I'm sorry, I totally forget to think (lol) about oaUnofficial! I tested it already and I think it is very nice ! They do a good job !
But I was not shure if that was only a little project from Evil-clan(I thought that first) or if this will get really the future of OA? What is their aim and what do you think about it? I mean the OA developers are doing the next release 0.8.6 and that is not the same as Evils mod, so how do you work together? oaUnofficial mod = 0.8.6 perhaps? I can't imagine what will be the future...

p.s.
I already writed a little guide in Italian for how to apply the brightskins and change color for oaUnofficial (1.) and E+ (2.):
http://clansos.sosforum.net/aiuto-supporto-tecnico-help-technical-support-f6/guida-per-come-mettere-i-colori-ai-model-t294.htm
Udi

Cakes 25

i do my own stunts

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 05:49:41 AM »

I mean the OA developers are doing the next release 0.8.6 and that is not the same as Evils mod, so how do you work together? oaUnofficial mod = 0.8.6 perhaps? I can't imagine what will be the future...

OAUnofficial is not the same as OAX. OAX is the mod which will be the next 0.8.6. OAUnofficial is separate project for supporting competitive features. So far it's a mod, but later it will go standalone. We can only work together where our goals are the same, like Q3 replacement textures. Any further cooperation won't happen. It actually could, since both projects follow the GPLv2 license strictly, but there's no reason to do so.

But we are now offtopic in the Excessive Plus topic, sorry for starting it Embarrassed.

http://udionline.hu/en/projektek/openarena/
Todo list: 1. q3dm17 textures replacement (95% done)
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:00:28 PM »

...I already writed a little guide in Italian for how to apply the brightskins and change color for oaUnofficial (1.) and E+ (2.):
http://clansos.sosforum.net/aiuto-supporto-tecnico-help-technical-support-f6/guida-per-come-mettere-i-colori-ai-model-t294.htm

Adriano, in your link above, you mention what 3 of the 5 parameters are for E+'s "xp_enemyColors" CVAR. You also list the colors but unless I am going senile the numbers range from 0 to 7 not 1 to 8.

The format represents the colors for the 5 model parts: as "rail trail" "head" "body" "legs" "rail spiral".

Examples:

/xp_enemyModel gargoyle
    /xp_enemyColors 32226

0 - is black.
    1 - is red.
    2 - is green.
    3 - is yellow.
    4 - is blue.
    5 - is aqua.
    6 - is fuchsia.
    7 - is white.

For info on how to force all enemies to display the same color but permit individual player models, E+'s "xp_colors" cvar and more, visit the link below:

http://oa.goquake.com/wp-content/e+_docs/client.html

-----------------------------------------------------------

Excessive Plus v2.1 for OpenArena has been released...

Notable features:...

Beast, great to see E+ issue 2 releases and about 2 server updates in less than a year.  However, I think you should have pointed out that E+ has versions specifically for Q3 and OA.  Most players are aware that Q3 Mods generally work with OA and at least one contacted me when he downloaded the Q3 version from ExcessivePlus.net and ofc got errors.

Second, depending of their knowledge of E+, a person reading the features above could come to the incorrect conclusion that those features are all new to version 2.1. Even a 6 year E+ veteran like me can't tell what is new on that list (unless it's the "...full unlagged for projectiles on close range" item).
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 10:45:42 PM by WaspKiller » Logged

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 07:34:59 AM »

Just a note: I started playing E+ this week (because of the low-ping servers) and I've been having a blast with it on E+ CTF.  I love the funky physics Smiley

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 08:17:05 AM »

Thank you, WaspKiller, I'll change that.

@WingedPanther: Yes, the physics are crazy, but it is really funny. I don't know if its is really playable fo clan wars e.g.. I prefer the standard OA for now than that physics (i speak only about the physics!).
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 09:46:00 PM »

Just a note: I started playing E+ this week (because of the low-ping servers) and I've been having a blast with it on E+ CTF...

Cool.  If you're from North or South America, then play with me and my guys some night.  If your European, you will rarely see me as the time difference between me and Central Europe is generally 8 hours.  However, in that case, you could still play with us on our next Open FragFest - http://oa.goquake.com/?page_id=781

Also, check out some of the other Mods (like AlternateFire), I am sure you and others would enjoy playing them once in a while if you simply gave them a try.

...I love the funky physics Smiley

...Yes, the physics are crazy, but it is really funny. I don't know if its is really playable for clan wars...

WingedPanther and Adriano, please note that on most E+ Servers, players can callvote to change the game type configs.  These control physics and many other changes.  Example:
/callvote conf nades+
/callvote conf rail+
/callvote conf plusd
/callvote conf baseoa

For more info regarding game type configs - http://oa.goquake.com/?page_id=99

Loading the baseoa game style config will restart the map and change the style of play to regular (baseoa) OpenArena.

The way my servers are setup are simply the way I like them.  There really is no fixed method of setting up an E+ Server.  You can have it work like CPMA, Defrag, in fact, the game style is limited only by your imagination.

Adriano, althoug E+ on Q3 is just a shadow of its glory days there still are some 54 active Clans that play weekly Ranked Matches using Pure, PunkBuster and Demos to ensure player integrity.

Also, it is because of E+'s extensibility that the OpenArena Clan-League (2010) is now entirely based on it.

http://www.excessiveplus.net/forums/thread/using-excessiveplus-for-an-openarena-league

http://oa-cl.ucoz.org/forum/75-298-1
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 09:57:22 PM by WaspKiller » Logged

**HD
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 06:43:26 PM »

is the E+ mod for OpenArena open source (gpl2 like OA ?) ? if yes, where can i download the code ? If no, which licence do you use ? I tried to figure it out on your homepage, but i couldnt find any information about it (probably my fault, sorry for that)
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 12:28:41 AM »

is the E+ mod for OpenArena open source (gpl2 like OA ?) ? if yes, where can i download the code ? If no, which licence do you use ? I tried to figure it out on your homepage, but i couldnt find any information about it (probably my fault, sorry for that)

No, it's not your fault, Excessive Plus is not Open Source at this time.  The OA version may very likely use some popular Open Source license in the future.  That decision depends on how popular it becomes on OA and an agreement from the original E+ developers.

E+ has been the most popular Mod on OA since 2009.  That's not saying much considering the size of OA's hard core userbase, and I think WaspBeast (the lead developer and my clanmate) was beginning to think it would not catch on outside of our shared servers.

However, since the OpenArena Clan-League adopted it this year they have requested and received quite a few design changes which have been implemented in E+ 2.1 (OA version only).  This sort of usage and feedback is what will motivate the developers to improving, releasing and perhaps Open Sourcing future versions of E+ for OA.  Currently the number of E+ Servers fluctuate between 9 and 22 daily.

Note: Matches in the OpenArena Clan-League take place on Excessive Plus Servers but the server configuration for physics, items, health, etc., are based (I think) on some sort of baseoa and cpma game style.  Since E+ is completely extensible and script-able, however you choose to setup your servers is the right way  Grin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: