Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: starting server  (Read 21374 times)
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 05:44:01 AM »

I have made a rule but my network IP changes so i need to make a rule for the entire network any ideas on how to do this???

Gig you have been very helpful so thanks again
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2010, 06:09:38 AM »

"Your network IP changes"? Do you mean your internal IP address?
Do you have a DHCP server in your LAN that assigns you a different internal IP address each time you boot up your PC? Usually, DHCPs tend to give the same IP to the same machine, but since there are many different DHCP servers, maybe your doesn't do so. You could manually specify an IP address for your server PC... Using "portforwarding" you have to specify one internal IP (one server PC) for a single UDP port (or port range) on the external side, I think.

If, instead, you say that your external IP changes each time you reboot the router, this is usual for "dynamic IP" (most common for home users). And, if you don't have enabled an "always on" option in your router, maybe also when you have not being using your network connection for some time. To have always the same IP, you should have a different contract with your ISP, to have a network connection with a static ip address (uncommon for home users)...
Anyway, if you get your "dedicated 2" server working properly, your friends should be able to find your server in the server list, even if with a different IP every day, checking its server name.
For other uses, one could try to subscribe a "dyndns" service (that gives you a "domain name" that someway follows your dynamic ip when it changes), but I never tried one... and probably it would be quite useless with OpenArena (I suppose it could be useful if someone needs to host a web server, instead): I'm not sure, but I believe that when a server is added to "favorites" list, it is saved by its IP address, not by its URL...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 07:38:02 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Zarrl
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2010, 03:14:34 PM »

Thanks all for your helped me. My friends can join and i can specific for it. This is all I wanted to start with.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: