Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Connection problems in OA  (Read 6788 times)
adriano

Cakes 4

« on: August 26, 2010, 01:48:12 PM »

Hello all,

I hope you can help me to solve my problem. The problem is that when I play on a server in multiplayer, I get sometimes "Connection interrupt" for some seconds or for an instant. This make me really sad. Sad
Unfortunately I am newbie in connections things, so I describe you my connection:

Download: 7.940 kbit/s  (993 kByte/s)  
Upload: 551 kbit/s (69 kByte/s)
ping: 20.92ms

>My connection when I do nothing or surf in Firefox or something else (except OA):
Transfer Rate: 48-54 MBit/s
Signal strength: Very good (4 of 5 lines)

>My connection when I enter in a server of OA and do nothing else:
Transfer Rate: 36-54 MBit/s
Signal strength: low  (2 of 5 lines)

ping in OA: 30-50

How I said, I am a newbie in it....I thought that is has maybe something to do with ports...udp...tcp......so I entered (now) my ip in adress bar and so on and set this:

Before I did this, I removed my Comodo firewall and activated Win XP firewall and on firewall exception I added openarena ports  UDP and TCP, both 27960. I also tried to deactivate the firewall and try again playing in multiplayer but nothing changed. WHAT AND WHERE IS THE PROBLEM?Huh

I hope some of you guys can help me....
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:07:14 PM by adriano » Logged
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 02:30:33 PM »

Hiya,

- It is not likely due to some ports issue.
- OA shouldn't use a large amount of bandwidth (considering rate = 25000bits/sec ?)
- You use a Wifi connection, these can have several problems (driver issues, regular scanning of networks, low signal...), try using ethernet, if you can, and see if problems still occur. You might also update your wifi drivers, and check how windows scans after access points. I can't really explain why you have low signal when running OA.
- Sometimes there are problems in the network road between the server and your own computer, some routers can be faulty but it happens very rarely.

Todo: Walk the cat.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 07:48:12 AM »

Thank you for your answer!

- I tried LAN: No problems at all, only that I should play in the kitchen if I wanna play by LAN, BUT there is an alternative: LAN from electric supply (anyone experiences with it?).

- I tried default config with WLAN (WiFi): Same problem.

Changes between where all went good and where i got the problem:
My old WLAN adapter (AVM Fritzbox WLAN USB Stick) was not anymore readed from Win XP -> bought new adapter (AVM Fritzbox WLAN USB Stick 1.1)-> my provider Alice did shi t (and is shi t, they aren't a really help for me) and I had broken connection-> provider fixed my internet connection-> still have problems: always when I "consume" Internet, I mean e.g. when I look a Youtube video or play OA, then I automatically get a low connection and sometimes it gets so low that my connection brakes.

So now I am trying to get LAN....let's see....bb

edit: I phoned with my provider. They said that the WiFi aerial from the  router is not ok, so the give me a new one. If that will not work, I'll try D LAN.

....holy shiiit Rest In PEACE!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:33:46 AM by adriano » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:24:08 AM »

Uhm... your Wifi card is not integrated in your machine, but is connected via USB, right? You say that when you use some big CPU-consuming applications, it seems that your machine isn't capable of maintaining a good wifi connection... this seems to mean (unless the radiations of the CPU running at full speed disturb the wifi signal, but this seems to me very unlikely) that it cannot continue using the full speed of the USB port...
A similar thing happens to me (I have an old PC): when I print, if I do other CPU-consuming tasks, I the printer slows down.

The best thing would be to use the network cable, if you can. But if you cannot, let's see some thing you may try. Remember that they are only ideas, no effectiveness warranty!
- Update your USB drivers (check on your computer manufacturer's site. Unlikely, but sometimes there are such updates available.)
- Update your Wifi NIC drivers (check on its manufacturer's site)
- Try to use the task manager to give an higher priority to the process that controls the Wifi Card (even if probably the bottleneck is elsewhere, maybe in a system process, I don't know.)
- Try to use the task manager to give a lower priority to the OpenArena process
- Try to set a lower com_maxfps value (together with lower quality settings) in OpenArena, to prevent it from using 100% CPU. See also here.
- Try to force the Wifi card to use a lower speed, for example 11 Mbits. Who knows, maybe it could be more stable.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »

No, it is not about "CPU-consuming", I wanted to say that I get low connection when I download something.BUT today I got a new router and for now it worked wonderful. So no problems till now and 35 ping in OA is also not bad. Cheesy

Thank you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: