Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Shotgun sound: first try  (Read 14988 times)
badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 16, 2007, 01:32:18 PM »

I made this with Csound and the shotgun sound from Open Arena.  I think the click needs to be redone completely, maybe just me recording some stuff clicking.  Anyone have an automatic shotgun?
I slowed the .wav down, tried to accentuate the attack, added some noise (not a lot), and then some tails of resonant filters on just the noise.  Tried to lift all the filters right on the click, but ideally I'd separate the click from the shot first.  I've listened to different versions of this a few hundred times now, so I'm not sure anymore.
I can of course provide the Csound file I wrote too, as proof there are no borrowed sounds.
How do you like it?  Should it be .wav (sounds a little better)?

-Chuckk
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 01:58:09 PM »

Sounds good to me. Maybe a click cluck instead of a single click like a pump action shotgun. I do have a pump action shotgun but I won't be able to record for a week or so.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 11:57:22 PM »

Actually the click-cluck of a pump wouldn't be good.  The model is obviously semi-auto.

badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2007, 12:11:30 AM »

I came across another shotgun sound that had the click of cocking it before the shot.  I don't know much about them, but I guess that's not the OA style.  The one in Quake 3 sounds like pump action to my untrained ears.

I tried playing with my shotgun sound, and my machine gun sound, and neither one fit.  I made both of them pretty low-pitched, which sounds good to me by itself, but in-game they blend with the other sounds.
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2007, 12:18:38 AM »

The model is obviously semi-auto.
slow fire rate for semi.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 04:12:06 AM »

If you aim properly you don't have to shoot fast Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 02:15:14 PM »

OA's shotgun isn't really a semi-auto. It's coded like a double-barreled shotgun.

The sound might be a little too lengthy.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 08:47:12 PM »

Lengthy size-wise or sound-wise?  My other question is whether stereo is a possibility, which would take up 2x the space obviously.
I'm working on this again right now, and I'm taking the click out completely.  If it turns out okay I'll see about putting clicks in.
Tribaal
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 04:37:34 AM »

I'll rent a semi-automatic shotgun at the range next time I go, and try to record the sound.
Any tips for optimal recording of a shotgun shot? I would think that puttinf the microphone too close to the muzzle would saturate the sound, but too far away it wouldn't be distinctive enough...

Please give me pointers as how to record stuff =)

- trib'

"Software is like sex; It's better when it's free" - Linus Torvalds
badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 04:53:14 AM »

Well, I've never tried recording a gun.  I'm thinking several feet away.  There's probably more sound in front of it, but it's a 1st-person game, so it might work to have the mic behind the gun.  Over your shoulder, maybe.  If you can.  Tw3k said he'd record his, too, so if it doesn't work no big deal.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: