Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Openarena Symbols ?  (Read 31880 times)
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« on: February 25, 2011, 09:50:44 AM »

Hey Guys Ive Always Been Wondering How Do You Get These Cool Symbols Next To Your Name In Openarena. Ive been Hearing Around The OA Community About A Quake 3 Name Changer? Ive Never Had Quake 3 So Im Sort Of Lost. Is There Anyway That Someone Can Help Me.

Please Reply To This Topic Cheesy

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:54:31 AM »

Did you try to google for Quake 3 Name Changer ?
It's a small program, it works with openarena, but you may have to trick it a bit to make the program find your OpenArena config file.
Such tools could be easily written for OA, I think Nexuiz directly integrates such characters in the Player Name Setup screen.

Todo: Walk the cat.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »

Thank You For The Reply And Yes I Have Downloaded It Serveral Times And It Never Works?? How Do Trick The Program ?? And Whats Name Of The Program The Directly Imports The Characters Into The Screen To Type In The Name.

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »

It's already a bit hard to read you, so you may forget that Cap Stylization, Now I Understand Better Why You Want That Name Changer So Much.

The program seeks a file named q3config.cfg which is located in your Quake 3 directory.
But you don't have Quake 3, so you have to copy that file from OpenArena into some empty Quake 3 directory.

You'll find this file in some C:\Users or Document and Settings, in one of the subdirectories.
I can't tell you precisely, you need some intuition to get it right because I don't run Windows and I can't explain more.

Forget about that program which directly inputs these characters, it's in another game and I just quoted it as a reference.

VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 04:41:21 PM »

You'll find this file in some C:\Users or Document and Settings, in one of the subdirectories.
I can't tell you precisely, you need some intuition to get it right because I don't run Windows and I can't explain more.

C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\OpenArena\baseoa\q3config.cfg is the default, with mods it's C:\Documents and Settings\%USERNAME%\Application Data\OpenArena\[ModName]\q3config.cfg.

— VortexHU —
Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:10:50 PM »

Then copy it into some...
Quake III Arena\baseq3
... directory.

Important: it is baseq3, not baseoa.

Now I remember you may just have to rename your baseoa directory into baseq3 so that Q3NC works.

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 08:26:38 AM »

Thanks for the replys and Guys I NEVER HAD quake 3 at all only game i had of wauke 3 is openarena I need another program since i dont have any quake 3 files .any other ideas guys?? any programs like name changer?

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 09:52:22 AM »

Sorry for not having been very clear, all you have to do is:

- Get Q3 Name Changer
- Rename your C:\Document and settings\Application Data\OpenArena\baseoa directory into ...\OpenArena\Baseq3
- Run Q3 Name changer, tell where Q3 is located except you will point towards the C:\Doc & Settings\...OpenArena directory, as you don't have Quake 3.
- Use Q3 Name changer as normal, change your name with it.
- Rename baseq3 to baseoa after you finished editing your name.

That's all.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 09:55:28 AM »

Since the location of OpenArena saved files may vary depending from the OS... --> (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:16:22 AM »

Quake 3 Name Changer
http://www.r2.com.au/page/products/show/q3nc
http://majorgeeks.com/Quake_3_Name_Changer_d690.html

Uhm... it seems necessary to create a "fake" quake3.exe file in your application data\OpenArena folder, in order to make the program think there is Quake 3 installed there, and to (at least momentarily) remove the "hidden" flag from your "application data" folder (or the program's folder browser will not show it).
It seems to does not care about baseQ3 folder, I think you can leave baseoa.
But, strangely enough, its "preview" of the result is erroneous. I'm using Windows XP.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:27:55 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »

Thus, the instructions could be:
1) Be sure there are no "hidden" folders to reach your application data folder. You should go to "C:\Documents and settings\username\Application data\" (Windows XP) or "C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming\" (Windows Vista/Windows 7). The "application data" is an "hidden" folder: if you see don't see it when you are at the level before it, or see it semi-transparent, that means it is hidden, and Quake 3 Name Changer will not find it.
1.1) If you do not see that folder, set Windows to show hidden files and folders (from Tools -> Folder options -> View).
1.2) Right-click on the semi-transparent "application data" folder, and uncheck the "hidden" flag. BE CAREFUL: when the system asks if make the change only for that folder or for all contained files and folders, select to change only that folder!!! Now, the program will be able to find that folder.
2) Create a "fake" quake3.exe file in "C:\Documents and settings\username\Application data\OpenArena" or in "C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming\OpenArena" (for example, copy there the executable of a random program, or the one from OpenArena -openarena.exe or openarena.x86.exe-, and then change its name... but you can also create an empty file called quake3.exe). Quake 3 Name Changer checks for this file the first time you run the program.
3) Download Quake 3 Name Changer
4) Install it
5) Launch it, and when asked, surf the folders until you get to "C:\Documents and settings\username\Application data\OpenArena" or "C:\Users\username\Appdata\Roaming\OpenArena". If you did correctly, the program should think that there is Quake3, there.
6) Use the program and create your custom name (you can press the "Keypad" button to get some symbols shown). Notice that the included preview field may show erroneous stuff.
7) Save your newly created name to the game: when you click on the "save" button, you will be prompted if you wish it for all the installed mods, or only for a specific mod, that you will select. The game will then update one or all your q3config.cfg files.
8) Undo the change made at passage 1.2): make your application data folder hidden again. Again, be careful to apply the change to that folder only and not to all contained files and folders. You should be able to continue to use the program anyway.

Note: the file "C:\Program Files\r2 studios\Quake 3 Name Changer\settings.ini" contains the program configuration. Be sure your user has got read and write permissions for that file. The first line contains the path to what it thinks to be the Quake 3 intallation folder (while it contains OpenArena "homepath" folder instead), and the following lines contain other names you previously created with this program.
The path is stored there using the old DOS 8-characters short name notation (like what you can see it with a "dir /x" command), for example "C:\Documents and Settings\" there will be probably "C:\Docume~1\". Writing the path using long format folder names there will cause errors using the program.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 04:32:46 AM by Gig » Logged

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »

Several posts full of explanations for something which should take no more than 30 secs to do makes me wonder if these kind of tutorials are the right approach ..

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 08:17:27 PM »

I created a page on the wiki about this...
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Quake_3_Name_Changer

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 09:15:35 PM »

Okay I Have A Better Understanding On What I Have To Do But Now I Need Help On Knowing How To Create The Fake File Because Ive Created It And It Still Says It Cant Find It I Need To Know Becase Maybe Its A Diffrent Path To My Openarena Or Something Im Lost Right Now

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 09:31:10 PM »

The Wiki And Stuff Is Helping But Its Not Working I Think I Have A Path Thats Not Like Yours Please Help Me because I Have My Openarena on desktop only data that i have in application folder of openarena is "OpenArena" and it shows data from servers and stuff like the downloads n

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 04:40:11 AM »

Please use normal capitalization.

What's the problem with that? You have to place a file called "quake3.exe" into your existing "%appdata%\OpenArena" folder.

If you say that your directory structure is different than those of the examples, why don't you copy-paste the path here?

What's your Windows version?

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 01:55:01 PM »

This Is Where Its Located At C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\oa8.5

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 05:47:55 PM »

Again, please use uppercase and lowercase letters in the correct way.

The path you mentioned is your "installation" path, not your "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath]homepath" folder! Configuration files are NOT stored there (unless you manually force it), but under the path I told you before (simply use "administrator" in the place of "username", and the right path according to your Windows version).  
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 02:02:12 AM by Gig » Logged

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »

anyways i dont really no right now...i have a bigger question that i want to figure out that u probaBly can help me out on

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 09:13:35 AM »

It's not perfect but have a try with this:

http://openarena.tuxfamily.org/namecreator/

Smiley

Edit: damn, depending on which characters are used the output string can be very funky, I may have to limit which characters can be used, several are the same anyway.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »

Nice!  Smiley It would be good to add buttons to add the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Text_color]text colors codes. The only problem may be the preview, since it uses images for each character, it may need to create 9 different versions for each character!

It would be nice to show also a preview of what would be the code generated, without the need to download the resulting file.

PS: In the end, it is unclear if a newbie will be capable of integrating the resulting file into his own q3config.cfg without making damages...

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 04:59:04 PM »

Hey it seems pretty good but i want to know where do i put the file that i download from them the "nickname.txt" what folder do i put it in?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »

PS: In the end, it is unclear if a newbie will be capable of integrating the resulting file into his own q3config.cfg without making damages...
Hey it seems pretty good but i want to know where do i put the file that i download from them the "nickname.txt" what folder do i put it in?

... as expected.  Undecided

----------------------------------
Swaggerall, you should use a text editor (like "Notepad++") to edit your "q3config.cfg" file in your %appdata%\OpenArena\baseoa\ folder, locate the "name" variable there and change its value with the one you find in the downloaded file.

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 05:50:02 PM »

this is what it tells me @Gig.....### Replace the line inside your q3config.cfg file with this one ###

seta name "Y U O" i dont understand what i need to do in this situiation?

Cacatoes
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 06:13:51 PM »

seta name "PEBKAC" ?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: