Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Openarena Name Changer??  (Read 107055 times)
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2011, 04:44:04 AM »

Ive Feel In Love With It Again Cheesy Btw what about the extra symbols?? can you add some... or would it be a waste ..Would Openarena identify some of the new additional symbols

I cannot add any symbols that do not exist on the OA font texture (/gfx/2d/bigchars.tga in pak0.pk3).

Premise: I'm not a game coder.

I fear that may further break compatibility. I'm not sure, but probably it is already that orange color would be shown as black when running Quake 3 mods... adding additional symbols may bring to unexpected results, I suppose...

PS: Just a curiosity:
I see that are some little differences in the symbols table in Quake 3 Name Changer and OpenArena Name Changer.
Compare them... Q3NC with OANC. dbX, do you have "blanked" some symbols that did not work?

I have used the first 128 symbols. The other 128 symbols seem to be another font, and I'm not sure if they would display. The first 32 characters of the other font have different symbols, so I guess that could be useful. But I think a developer could shed some light on this. As far as I know, I have not blanked out any characters that exist in the font texture, except the other 128 which seem to be another font (which I'm unsure when it's used).

In defeat we learn.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »

yes some of the symbols will not click to advance the symbol into the name bar.

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2011, 09:58:48 AM »

yes some of the symbols will not click to advance the symbol into the name bar.

It's not possible to display some of the symbols in the name input bar, because they do not have equivalents in the font used by the name input bar, but they should be visible on the preview regardless. The first symbol however, cannot be used (the dot in the top left corner of the character selection box), since it has ASCII value 0. That's a null char, and is used to indicate string end.

In defeat we learn.
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2011, 12:48:27 PM »

I've uploaded a version 1.2.0 to my site.

Changes include resizeable windows, fixed license notifications  in the source (shame on me), and some other minor changes.

In defeat we learn.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »

Beautiful

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2011, 02:50:35 PM »

the green is lighter again

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2011, 08:35:26 PM »

the green is lighter again
Excuse me, what's the problem?

DBX, using the program I tought about a new feature that should be easy enough to implement.
One or two buttons that would allow to "read" (or "import"?) the name that is currently stored in the main configuration file, or in the configuration file of a specific mod. What do you think about it? Note for readers: the program remembers the last used name from its own config file, it does not read the oaconfig file (this is okay, but a button to read from OA config files would be good, I think).

Another thing: trying to avoid confusion in users, since all those in mods folder are configuration files, too... why don't saying "default config" (or maybe better "main config"?) -instead of simply "config"- when referring to the baseoa configuration file (not in the "save select" window -where baseoa is correctly listed with the folder name-, but in the main and "config" windows)?

Bye!  Smiley

PS: I suppose the "extended" preview window may be shown when clicking on the preview field also from the "favorites" window...

PPS: If you close the program with an "empty" name, when you open it again it shows "player". Okay, there is no need to use the same "UnnamedPlayer" that the game uses in these cases, but at least making the initial "p" with a capital letter ("Player") would be nice.

PPPS: Since many people are not used to read "readme" files, what about writing somewhere inside the program (maybe in the "about" screen?) that the orange color is only supported starting from OA 0.8.5, and that could be shown as black or as white when using previous versions of the game or old mods?
To be verbose, one should notice that in OA 0.8.5 black text appears white on players names. But this has later been changed: in current OAX versions this happens only if there are no other characters of a different color. But no idea when 0.8.6 will come out.

PPPPS: your program is very good!!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 04:50:20 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 05:47:44 PM »

DBX, using the program I tought about a new feature that should be easy enough to implement.
One or two buttons that would allow to "read" (or "import"?) the name that is currently stored in the main configuration file, or in the configuration file of a specific mod. What do you think about it? Note for readers: the program remembers the last used name from its own config file, it does not read the oaconfig file (this is okay, but a button to read from OA config files would be good, I think).
The program should already load the name from your baseoa config file, if available, and if not from it's own configuration file. I'll check this, and add functionality to load the username from a mod (with the possibility to preview the username before it's loaded).

Another thing: trying to avoid confusion in users, since all those in mods folder are configuration files, too... why don't saying "default config" (or maybe better "main config"?) -instead of simply "config"- when referring to the baseoa configuration file (not in the "save select" window -where baseoa is correctly listed with the folder name-, but in the main and "config" windows)?
I guess I should be more clear about it.

PS: I suppose the "extended" preview window may be shown when clicking on the preview field also from the "favorites" window...
I'll make it so.

PPS: If you close the program with an "empty" name, when you open it again it shows "player". Okay, there is no need to use the same "UnnamedPlayer" that the game uses in these cases, but at least making the initial "p" with a capital letter ("Player") would be nice.
Yeah.

PPPS: Since many people are not used to read "readme" files, what about writing somewhere inside the program (maybe in the "about" screen?) that the orange color is only supported starting from OA 0.8.5, and that could be shown as black or as white when using previous versions of the game or old mods?
To be verbose, one should notice that in OA 0.8.5 black text appears white on players names. But this has later been changed: in current OAX versions this happens only if there are no other characters of a different color. But no idea when 0.8.6 will come out.

I'll make this information sticks out somewhere. Perhaps it would be good to show this information upon starting the program for the first time.

PPPPS: your program is very good!!!!  Smiley Smiley Smiley

Thanks. My intention is to make it even better with your suggestions. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, but hopefully sometime this week.

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2011, 01:22:14 PM »

Another question.
Do you think it would be possible to make the "find openarena base config file" window (config --> ...) show hidden folders even if the user hides them in Windows (folder options)? "Application data" folder is hidden, and an unexperienced user may not find it.
Only it if is easy enough and does not have side effects.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2011, 01:44:05 PM »

Another question.
Do you think it would be possible to make the "find openarena base config file" window (config --> ...) show hidden folders even if the user hides them in Windows (folder options)? "Application data" folder is hidden, and an unexperienced user may not find it.
Only it if is easy enough and does not have side effects.

I'm not sure but I think it's not possible. Since I use the standard windows dialog, it depends upon windows on whether or not the hidden files are shown. Usually, users should not need to do this as the program finds the folder automatically (I could add a button to reset the base config file to default one).

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2011, 01:48:48 PM »

(I could add a button to reset the base config file to default one).

A sort of "autodetect" (or "default") button, to find the default path again if someone erroneously changed it in OANC configuration? Nice.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #61 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:39 PM »

Any news?

dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2011, 06:26:38 PM »

Any news?

Unfortunately, I've been busy with other stuff (attempting to get a new job). But I should have some free time in the upcoming days, and I'll try to make the changes (no promises though). I don't need much time, but I just don't seem to be able to get around to it.

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2011, 09:55:53 AM »

Okay, take your time. We don't escape...
But please keep us informed...  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 02:49:27 PM by Gig » Logged

sheepofsin
LOOK AT ME I THINK IM SO CLEVER FOR DESTROYING MY OWN POSTS
Nub

Cakes -65534

LOOK AT ME I THINK IM GREAT AT DESTROYING MY POSTS

« Reply #64 on: April 12, 2011, 02:38:33 AM »

[removed]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:51:48 AM by sheepofsin » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #65 on: April 14, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »

http://ge.tt/4muzDIS/namecreator.7z?type=download
it uses a single image and can remove letters properly

edit:
this one creates the file with javascript though I am not sure if it works correctly
http://ge.tt/7fjhDKL/namecreator2.7z?type=download
Uhm... the first one seems to be a download version of the online tool made by Cacatoes (http://openarena.tuxfamily.org/namecreator/)... but when I click the final button, it opens a popup with some numbers...

The second one seems damaged... the extracted htm file is 0 byte long...

PS: DBX, I created a page about OANC on the Wiki:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenArena_Name_Changer

Smiley I hope you may add the new features... Oh... another thing: maybe the button to exit from the "favorites" dialog window could be labeled as "Back" instead of "Cancel". Usually a "cancel" button implies to do not save the changes, but if you just "removed" a favorite, this is committed anyway... so I suppose that naming the button "Back" would be better. Bye!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 04:48:10 PM by Gig » Logged

sheepofsin
Nub

Cakes -65534

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2011, 01:34:34 AM »

[removed]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:52:11 AM by sheepofsin » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2011, 02:06:55 AM »

yes it is based on cacatoes'
archives work. you might need an up to date version of 7zip.

Uhm.. on a PC with the latest 7zip, it works... while with the older version it says that the compression method is not supported. Why don't use the standard compression method?

However, when I press the button to get the name's source code, it opens a popup window with some numbers in it.
PS: Maybe there is no reason to spend a lot of time with download packages for this tool: if one does not want to download a program, will use Cacatoes' online version, and if one wants to download a program, it is better to get OANC that has got more features...

sheepofsin
Nub

Cakes -65534

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2011, 04:31:14 AM »

[removed]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:52:18 AM by sheepofsin » Logged

sheepofsin
Nub

Cakes -65534

« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2011, 07:31:37 AM »

[removed]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:53:48 AM by sheepofsin » Logged

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2011, 08:08:12 AM »

Good job Sheepofsin, I'll have a deeper look at it and host it when I have time Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
sheepofsin
Nub

Cakes -65534

« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2011, 09:48:38 AM »

[removed]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:52:27 AM by sheepofsin » Logged

dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »

PS: DBX, I created a page about OANC on the Wiki:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenArena_Name_Changer

Smiley I hope you may add the new features... Oh... another thing: maybe the button to exit from the "favorites" dialog window could be labeled as "Back" instead of "Cancel". Usually a "cancel" button implies to do not save the changes, but if you just "removed" a favorite, this is committed anyway... so I suppose that naming the button "Back" would be better. Bye!

I'm working on OANC and implementing the features. I also added a preview area to the mod selection dialog so the current name stored for that mod can be seen. Hopefully I'll get this done today. I'll rename the "Cancel" button to "Back" as suggested.

Thanks for the wiki page.

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2011, 04:55:05 PM »

NameCreator 4 works ("download" gives you the "seta name" code). Smiley But "remove this" and "generate file" seem to have no effect.

@DBX: Very good news! Smiley
PS: in readme.txt, the first phrase in --General-- section begins with OANC written in lowercase caracters, if you want to fix it...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 05:08:59 PM by Gig » Logged

sheepofsin
Nub

Cakes -65534

« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2011, 07:44:32 AM »

[removed]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:52:43 AM by sheepofsin » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: