Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Openarena Name Changer??  (Read 107071 times)
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #75 on: April 18, 2011, 01:54:46 PM »

Ok, I've finally got to improving OANC. Version 1.3.0 is complete and uploaded to my site.

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #76 on: April 18, 2011, 03:47:35 PM »

Thank you! I think will test it tomorrow evening... Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #77 on: April 19, 2011, 07:38:11 AM »

Good job, DBX!  Smiley
I like this program very much!  Grin
The "help" section is a good idea!

Just a few questions/notes:

- The last used name is still stored in the .ini file, but not used when you open the program again (it seems it loads from oa config instead). I this intentional?
- Is there a way to load a single name from a single mod and place it in the main program window, without having to save it to favorites first?
- Was a button to auto-detect the configuration file again (if one previously changed the path) too difficult/useless to implement? (Without the user having to delete his alternate config file to make the program automatically select the default one again)
- In the "Player Name Load" window there is the list of the mods, plus the preview field for the name of the currently selected mod. What about also placing the "source code" of the names in this page? Or in a second preview filed (for the currently selected mod), or even in a second column, to show all the "sources" names together? In the second case, this could be appliable to the "save mods" window, too, to allow the user to know the old usernames that he is going to replace!
- What about asking for a confirmation when the user clicks on the "Save All" button?
- In the "readme" you say <<I've provided scripts for Windows and Linux called createpng(.sh or .cmd respectively)>>. There should be a space before "(" and I suppose .cmd would be for Windows and .sh would be for Linux.
- On your site you did not update the "Last update" date for the tool download link.

Again, a thank you and a "forum cake" for you (I'm not sure if, for this tool, I alredy gave to you one before or not).
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 10:01:57 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2011, 09:20:54 AM »

- The last used name is still stored in the .ini file, but not used when you open the program again (it seems it loads from oa config instead). I this intentional?
It is intentional. I may have gotten the wrong impression from you before. I can change it either way, or add an option for this. What do you think would be best?
- Is there a way to load a single name from a single mod and place it in the main program window, without having to save it to favorites first?
Not currently, I figured people would want to have it in the favorites anyway. I guess I could add a button for this.
- Was a button to auto-detect the configuration file again (if one previously changed the path) too difficult/useless to implement? (Without the user having to delete his alternate config file to make the program automatically select the default one again)
I knew I forgot something Cheesy
- In the "Player Name Load" window there is the list of the mods, plus the preview field for the name of the currently selected mod. What about also placing the "source code" of the names in this page? Or in a second preview filed (for the currently selected mod), or even in a second column, to show all the "sources" names together? In the second case, this could be appliable to the "save mods" window, too, to allow the user to know the old usernames that he is going to replace!
Great idea, I'll add this to the next version.
- What about asking for a confirmation when the user clicks on the "Save All" button?
A confirmation dialog can be added. I'll also add a option for those people who do not want to be bothered by a lot of questions. Cheesy
- In the "readme" you say <<I've provided scripts for Windows and Linux called createpng(.sh or .cmd respectively)>>. There should be a space before "(" and I suppose .cmd would be for Windows and .sh would be for Linux.
I'll make a minor correction there. Yes, it means .sh for Linux and .cmd for Windows, but anyone interested in building the sources would probably already know this.
- On your site you did not update the "Last update" date for the tool download link.
I put in the correct day, but did not change the month :/

Again, a thank you and a "forum cake" for you (I'm not sure if, for this tool, I alredy gave it to you one before or not).
Moar!

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2011, 10:01:44 AM »

It is intentional. I may have gotten the wrong impression from you before. I can change it either way, or add an option for this. What do you think would be best?
Maybe proposing the latest typed name (not considering if it has been stored in the OA config file or not), but with a button to quick-load the one currently on the default configuration file. What do you think? Theorically, the quick load may even show a preview window with a confirm request, but then it would be not so "quick"...
Quote from: dbX
Not currently, I figured people would want to have it in the favorites anyway. I guess I could add a button for this.
It could be good.
I knew I forgot something Cheesy
It happens
Great idea, I'll add this to the next version.
Good. Smiley
A confirmation dialog can be added. I'll also add a option for those people who do not want to be bothered by a lot of questions. Cheesy
Well, that would be the only question... or not? What other questions would you need to "hide"?
I'll make a minor correction there. Yes, it means .sh for Linux and .cmd for Windows, but anyone interested in building the sources would probably already know this.
Sure. But it is not a good reason to keep an error! ^_^
I put in the correct day, but did not change the month :/
It happens. Anyway, you could write also the program version there: it should make easier for a visitor to understand if the current version of the server is higher than his currently installed one.
Again, a thank you and a "forum cake" for you (I'm not sure if, for this tool, I alredy gave to you one before or not).
Moar!
What?  Huh

dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #80 on: April 19, 2011, 11:29:03 AM »

It happens. Anyway, you could write also the program version there: it should make easier for a visitor to understand if the current version of the server is higher than his currently installed one.
Moar!
What?  Huh
I meant, more cake is always welcome! IRL I eat a lot of cake too.

The OANC version is written on the site next to the name. I also corrected the typo.

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2011, 04:48:08 AM »

Hi Dbx...
I was thinking another thing, another improvement for the "Save Mods" window. What do you think about adding two lines (source code and preview) to repeat what is the name you are going to save? This, together with the additional column of the source codes of the "old" names (that I suggested in a previous post) and the preview field that shows the preview of the mod that one selects (that is already there), will allow people to know exactly what they are doing.

dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2011, 08:38:31 AM »

Hi Dbx...
I was thinking another thing, another improvement for the "Save Mods" window. What do you think about adding two lines (source code and preview) to repeat what is the name you are going to save? This, together with the additional column of the source codes of the "old" names (that I suggested in a previous post) and the preview field that shows the preview of the mod that one selects (that is already there), will allow people to know exactly what they are doing.

I think people would probably remember what they're saving (and don't have to be reminded) once they're satisfied with editing a name (then again there are "people" who get confused over any little thing). It's not a problem to add this. The column with source codes of the names can be implemented once for both saving and loading names (as I reuse the same dialog).

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2011, 05:13:23 AM »

@Cacatoes: I really don't know why Sheepofsin decided to leave the forum and to delete all of his posts.
Anyway, the fourth version of OpenArena Name Creator (not to be confused with OpenArena Name Changer) that he did starting from your online version, adding color support and the ability to delete a character, was not bad.
This is the link that he uploaded, and I attach the file to this post, too.

I was about asking to him if he would add some "help" inside the tool (specifying that one has to click on a character in the preview field before clicking "remove this" to delete it and that one has to click on "generate file" before clicking on the download link), but I discovered that Sheepofsin has made all his posts empty, writing only [removed] there.

Cacatoes, do you think you could host that tool on your site, and make it also available without the need to download it (to be able to use it both offline and online)? Consider that it is a derivative work from your online tool...

@DBX: I've just found a bug in OpenArena Name Changer 1.3.0. If I open the program, then go to "Load Name(s)", then click "Select None", then manually select some mods (but not the first one!), then "Add to Favorites", i get a "you need to select some mods to be able to load them into favorites" error. But I actually selected them! Making other tests, it seems that it is not related to the "select none" passage: program needs to have the first mod selected or it gives the error! I have no idea if there could be a similar problem also in "save to mods" phase.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:00:21 AM by Gig » Logged

dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2011, 07:02:00 AM »

@DBX: I've just found a bug in OpenArena Name Changer 1.3.0. If I open the program, then go to "Load Name(s)", then click "Select None", then manually select some mods (but not the first one!), then "Add to Favorites", i get a "you need to select some mods to be able to load them into favorites" error. But I actually selected them! Making other tests, it seems that it is not related to the "select none" passage: program needs to have the first mod selected or it gives the error! I have no idea if there could be a similar problem also in "save to mods" phase.
I've probably made some stupid mistake when determining if any mods are selected. Will fix it.

It's strange that Sheepofsin left so abruptly. The modifications he made were useful.

In defeat we learn.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2011, 08:57:57 AM »

Thanks to he if he's still reading, though yeah, removing messages doesn't benefit OA community. I don't understand his departure either, and it seems fromhell was quick at reacting.
I updated the tuxfamily webpage with his version of the tool. Text labels aren't so intuitive to click, and there are weird horizontal/vertical lines, but nevermind Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »

Thank you, Cacatoes.

Why don't you add few lines of "help" text in that page? There is much free space there.  A version 5?

And what about renaming the link to download the tool from "Source of this tool" to "Download Source/Offline version of this tool" or similar? To let people know that, if they wish, they can also use it offline. I know that, once you decide to download something, then OANChanger would be much better than OANCreator... but the second one, being html-based, is even more cross platform.

Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2011, 03:18:44 AM »

Do it, then I'll upload it Wink

Todo: Walk the cat.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2011, 07:27:26 AM »

I found additonal chars for openarena I THINK

check it out

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2011, 01:39:53 PM »

The other 128 characters are not displayed as it's another font (the first 128 are used to display player names), I think. I'm not sure though which font is used when.

As for the next version of OANC, I was really busy with real life in the past couple of months, but some free time should clear up soon, and I'll work on some proposed improvements.

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #90 on: June 25, 2011, 02:14:14 PM »

but some free time should clear up soon, and I'll work on some proposed improvements.
Good. :-)

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #91 on: June 25, 2011, 10:05:52 PM »

YAAAAY Smiley

swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2011, 02:00:16 PM »

By the way long ago i noticed a bug when you have a set symbols as the first or last part of the name and you save it as a FAVORITE it removes the last or first symbol

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2011, 08:20:52 PM »

I found additonal chars for openarena I THINK

That's not for OpenArena. I think that's Generations Arena's bigchars.tga. Either way, we cannot use it. Udi made some cool ones.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2011, 05:56:48 PM »

thanks fromhell Cheesy

realese 8.7 already !

dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #95 on: August 23, 2011, 01:26:57 PM »

Okay, after quite some time(over 4 months I think) I got some free time and will to work on a new version. Fixed bugs and implemented most of Gigs suggestions. I don't think I'll work on a next version, at least not in the near future. I put a thanks to Gig in the readme file, since he's the one who made most of the feedback.

Due to my hosting being crap, I had to upload this to rapidshare. I have uploaded to my site too, but it's really slow to download and it mostly breaks, at least for me, and it took me 15 - 20 attempts to upload the file. I'm looking for new hosting.

Download from here: OANC 1.4.0
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:49:44 AM by dbX » Logged

In defeat we learn.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #96 on: August 23, 2011, 03:04:07 PM »

Mirror here:

http://www.onykage.com/files/armageddonman/stuff/oanc.7z
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:29:17 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2011, 04:35:15 AM »

Thanks Neon_Knight.

In defeat we learn.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2011, 05:45:18 AM »

Please check your post, the url is incorrect (maybe the forum automatically added some tags).
This should work: OANC 1.4.0

I'll try it and give you some feedback in few days. For the moment, thank you, man!  Smiley

dbX

Cakes 11

Shazpaca!

« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2011, 05:50:24 AM »

Please check your post, the url is incorrect (maybe the forum automatically added some tags).
This should work: OANC 1.4.0

I'll try it and give you some feedback in few days. For the moment, thank you, man!  Smiley

Ok, fixed the link. Thanks.

In defeat we learn.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: