Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mines + vampire = instant death  (Read 18205 times)
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« on: April 01, 2011, 08:09:07 PM »

One of the gameplay modes I enjoy is using g_elimination with unlimited mines, but I've found that if I also have vampire on, damage I deal with mines kills me, instead of healing me.  Worse, if I have the enemy flag (CTF Elimination or CTF modes), then the enemy flag simply disappears from the game.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 09:28:55 AM »

Uhm.. I did not succed to make this happen.
Could you please give more info? Are you using OA 0.8.5 or an OAX beta? How did you set g_gampire and g_gametype, exactly?

Could you provide us a demo?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 10:05:34 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »

If you frag corpses in vampire mode you lose health points, so if you spam lots of grenades, rockets or mines chances are you'll frag a lot of dead corpses and that takes your health down quickly, even to the point where you die and respawn instantly. The higher you set g_vampire, the bigger the chance you'll kill yourself by fragging a corpse.

I'm not a CTF player so I don' t know about the flag.

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2011, 11:24:21 AM »

If you frag corpses in vampire mode you lose health points,
I didn't know this. Is this a feature or a bug? Does it happen only if you "gib" corpses after they are already dead of even if you make someone in pieces with the same hit that kills him?

Sago, are you around here?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2011, 11:45:23 AM »

If you frag corpses in vampire mode you lose health points,
I didn't know this. Is this a feature or a bug? Does it happen only if you "gib" corpses after they are already dead of even if you make someone in pieces with the same hit that kills him?

It's a feature. It only happens when you gib a corpse, not when you gib a living player. What I think happens in WingedPanthers case is that the victim sets of the first mine which kills him after a second, but in the mean time he's managed to set of more mines which frag his corpse.

I do agree with the instant respawn after dying this way being a bug tho. You respawn right after you die, without pressing fire or anything.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 11:59:35 AM »

Do you mean that they intended to make things harder by making players care about not hitting corpes?
Uhm... then, prox mines are not very useful when playing in vampire mode... I suppose also grenades (and even rockets) may have their downside here...

I do agree with the instant respawn after dying this way being a bug tho. You respawn right after you die, without pressing fire or anything.
Do you know if this happens also with the current OAX version (B48)? Time ago Sago fixed the "resurrecting bug" in vampire mode, maybe that change may have had some effect on this bug, too.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »

Do you know if this happens also with the current OAX version (B48)? Time ago Sago fixed the "resurrecting bug" in vampire mode, maybe that change may have had some effect on this bug, too.
It has not fixed this. I have just confirmed it still to be present.

There are nothing offending in my posts.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 12:18:20 PM »

Do you mean that they intended to make things harder by making players care about not hitting corpes?
Uhm... then, prox mines are not very useful when playing in vampire mode... I suppose also grenades (and even rockets) may have their downside here...

Yeah, I think it's intentional because vampire mode encourages spamming too much without it. Each hit gives you more health in vampire mode so the obvious tactics is to stay out of sight and spam away at a central area where much of the fighting goes on. Explosives are still very useful in vampire mode, you just have to think a little about when to use them (and how much of them).

I'm on B47 right now but I'll upgrade this evening and check out if there is any difference (the resurrection bug was removed in B47 already).

WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »

I'm playing on 0.8.5.

For the scenario, I'll usually play CTF elimination with a couple of my buddies.  One of us gets 3-4 bots and goes against the two remaining humans.

I use autoexec.cfg to store settings I like to monkey with manually on a regular basis.

Relevant lines that will let you monkey with the behavior:

seta g_vampire "1.1"
seta elimination_ctf_oneway "1"
seta g_vampire_max_health "1000"
seta elimination_mine "999"

On a map with a good choke point, spamming mines will definitely exhibit the behavior when you finally get a bot.

I don't mind dying from fragging a corpse, but if I have the flag and am dropping mines as I flee, I hate having my death also remove the enemy flag from play.  It's especially annoying on regular CTF with

seta g_elimination "1"

In that case, all you can do is frag each other til time runs out for the game.  What will happen is the following:
I get the flag (note: X on enemy flag in lower corner status).
I get corpse gibbed (I die, flag disappears, X still on enemy flag in lower corner status).
At this point, the enemy flag simply doesn't exist for the rest of the game (no one can score).

As a side note, with BFG (yes, I'm that lame), I've also seen bots get killed, resurrect (their shot hits me, giving back health), and then become invulnerable.  They count as dead, so can't be hit, but can still shoot, pick up the flag, etc.  I don't mind the resurrection (it's helped me as well), but invulnerable zombie bots are kind of annoying.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 12:38:58 PM »

Well, for vampire mode it is suggested to do not set g_vampire_max_health higher than 998, to avoid risk of some (theorical, at least) strange behaviors related to having 999 health or more (I'd suggest to Sago to hard-code this limit in the game, to do not allow people to set g_vampire_max_health higher than 998).
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Special_game_options#Vampire_mode

For all the rest... I don't know, I suppose we have to do more tests...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »

It has not fixed this. I have just confirmed it still to be present.

Are you sure?
Changelog:
Code:
New in Beta 47:
[...]
* Don't lake vampire resurrect dead players.
[...]

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 12:48:25 PM »

seta g_vampire "1.1"
If you set g_vampire bigger than 1.0 you receive more health than the harm you do, so that does seem a little unfair to me (and it also makes it very likely you kill yourself by fragging a corpse).

I don't mind dying from fragging a corpse, but if I have the flag and am dropping mines as I flee, I hate having my death also remove the enemy flag from play.

Yeah, that's a bug but I think it is related to instantly spawning after dying this way so chances are the flag-bug disappears when the spawning bug is fixed Wink

As a side note, with BFG (yes, I'm that lame), I've also seen bots get killed, resurrect (their shot hits me, giving back health), and then become invulnerable.  They count as dead, so can't be hit, but can still shoot, pick up the flag, etc.  I don't mind the resurrection (it's helped me as well), but invulnerable zombie bots are kind of annoying.

That's the resurrection bug, it has been fixed in OAX.

Are you sure?

This is about the instant death-and-respawn because of fragging a corpse, not about the resurrection bug. Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 12:52:57 PM »

This is about the instant death-and-respawn because of fragging a corpse, not about the resurrection bug. Smiley
This thread is the first time I hear about this specific bug (death-and-respawn). I thought Sago was referring to my sentence about the previous bug (death-and-resurrection), since I don't know where and when he may have previously confirmed the death-and-respawn bug.

PS: WingedPanther (if you still think that the problem may occur also when not gibbing a corpse), are you sure you are not simply mining yourself when running, right? I've noticed it is possible, at least if you shoot the mine when jumping on an accelerator ramp (I don't know if it happens also strafejumping at high speed, but I suppose it may happen)... I don't think this is your case (since there is an on-screen message when you get mined -even by yourself-, and since in Elimination I imagine you should not get damage from this unless you change elimination_selfdamage from its default), but asking is better than not.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 01:04:19 PM by Gig » Logged

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »

This thread is the first time I hear about this specific bug (death-and-respawn). I thought Sago was referring to my sentence about the previous bug (death-and-resurrection), since I don't know where and when he may have previously confirmed the death-and-respawn bug.

When you hit a corpse in vampire mode you get points subtracted from your health in the same way you get points added when you hit a living player. The problem is that if you die by taking too much damage this way, you don't get any warning about your death and respawn right away without even having pressed fire.

This is not only confusing to the players but to the server also because it seems to forget about permanent objects you're carrying at the time of your death, like flags for instance.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 03:49:16 PM »

Fixed in revision 251

There are nothing offending in my posts.

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2011, 03:53:01 PM »

Fixed in revision 251

Wow man, that's awesomely fast, respect! If I knew how to give you a cake I would do it right now Smiley

WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 04:09:10 PM »

PS: WingedPanther (if you still think that the problem may occur also when not gibbing a corpse), are you sure you are not simply mining yourself when running, right? I've noticed it is possible, at least if you shoot the mine when jumping on an accelerator ramp (I don't know if it happens also strafejumping at high speed, but I suppose it may happen)... I don't think this is your case (since there is an on-screen message when you get mined -even by yourself-, and since in Elimination I imagine you should not get damage from this unless you change elimination_selfdamage from its default), but asking is better than not.
Actually, mining yourself is just funny.  I've used that on oa_ctf4ish to get extra distance off the ramps (with a little timing).  However, it's also highly unsubtle (self detonation in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, BOOM), and CTF Elimination doesn't allow friendly fire (so no damage from self-mining).

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 04:33:53 PM »

Fixed in revision 251

Wow man, that's awesomely fast, respect! If I knew how to give you a cake I would do it right now Smiley
You need 115 posts. Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »

Fixed in revision 251
I just "caked" you, man! If you have some time to fix some other bug, more cakes may arrive... Smiley

Ok, I understand forum "cakes" are not a very useful prize, but I'm sorry I can't send you money!  Cheesy

WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 08:25:01 PM »

Fixed in revision 251
Very cool.  It's great to see you guys being so responsive.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »

Let's remember to verify, when OAX B49 will come out.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:07:50 PM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 03:41:13 PM »

Anyway, if proximity mines next each other detonate together (in a chain reaction), shouldn't they be considered as a single shot and thus do not damage their (vampire) owner when killing and dismembering an enemy within the same chain reaction?
I fear that using them with vampire mode as they do now, may be a pain, isn't it? I suppose it is very likely you will kill someone with a multiple mines detonation, right? Thus, I suppose it is quite likely it may cause you "vampire-suicide" this way (even without very high vampire multiplier), right?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 04:09:32 PM by Gig » Logged

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 05:09:06 PM »

In vampire mode its better to start an attack with explosives but to finish someone off with a powerful hitscan weapon. If you play with g_awardpushing enabled you can use explosives to push players off ledges, into lava etc. also (lots of fun because pushing a healthy player to his death gives you lots of health).

What I personally like to do when I play with mines (which rarely happens) is to mine jumppads or other players themselves and to keep my railgun ready to make the big jump coming up even bigger.

(The vampire maximum health is hard capped to 500 in oaxB48 by the way, so even if you set g_vampire_max_health to 1000 a players health never gets over 500 in the game.)

reedit: (deleted an false claim, got a bit confused myself now) Smiley
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:11:55 PM by 7 » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: