Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA kills my router?  (Read 9262 times)
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« on: April 10, 2011, 03:52:27 PM »

OK, this is really weird. Since getting a new DSL connection and a new router/modem (Zyxel P660W-T1), connecting to a server in OA kills the router, every time. The router resets, the network is down, and it takes a couple of minutes to get internet again.

I know this is a long shot, but any clues? It seems that the sudden surge in UDP traffic overflows something and the router resets. I've read about resets with this model, but this is 100% reproducible and immediate.

At the moment, I have no way of bypassing the router and testing, but connecting to a server running on the same computer kills the router too. Unpluging the Ethernet cable from the router makes everything work fine.

As far as I can tell, I'm running the latest firmware. Is the router simply junk?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 01:21:36 AM »

No idea...
If you think it's caused by too much UDP traffic, just for a test, do you wanna try to set a lower "rate" value?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:27:55 AM »

It craps out long before I get to see the level, at "Awaiting Connection". Actually, as soon as I click to join the server.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 06:13:00 AM »

Serching over the net, I see other users have got problems of "random" reboots with Zyxel routers...
A guy reported he experienced the issue only when he had the Wifi connection disabled, another one only when he was connected using wifi, another guy that he experienced it when both surfing the web and downloading files via FTP at the same time, another one when uploading files... another one that the router totally "deceased" some time after beginning to self-rebooting... another one that the router rebooted when he tried to use the phone (maybe a line quality/DSL filter problem in his case?)... another one even opened it and cleaned the contacts of the wireless card inside it (but did not resolve his problem anyway)...

I don't know what to tell you, except trying to clear the router configuration and start again...
Or trying to play with its firewall/nat options...

If it is new, maybe consider to use the warranty...

One may also try to completely change the firmware, using OpenWRT, DDWRT or similar (if available for your model)... But if something goes wrong, and for some reason you don't succed into restoring an official one, you would lose your warranty!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 06:36:50 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Cacatoes
Banned for leasing own account
Posts a lot

Cakes 73

also banned for baiting another to violate rules

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 02:11:05 PM »

Some similar problems:

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3277.0
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4109.0

Todo: Walk the cat.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:59:44 AM »

Great links, Cacatoes! I think that davidd might be onto something when he says

"right after querying the master server, the client should sent out an udp packet (or more) to every OA server returnned. To switches and routers that try to pretend intelligence, this look like an udp-dos attack. And that may kcik some users out."

In any case, it's not the firewall because I opened the port, and even if it were rejecting or dropping packets, it should not kill the router.

It's also not OA setup or anything, because I didn't touch my computer, only changed the router and the ISP when I moved.

Still not resolved, but I'm looking into it. Perhaps the router can be "un-intelligenced".

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 08:41:41 AM »

Still not resolved, but I'm looking into it. Perhaps the router can be "un-intelligenced".

Yep, it can. You must login to the routers command line and edit its startup script however.

Open a dos box and telnet to the router (usually IP 192.168.1.1, user Admin, password 1234)
Code:
telnet 192.168.1.1
Now edit the autoexec.net file:
Code:
sys edit autoexec.net
Now press i to insert a command, and type:
Code:
sys firewall ignore dos lan on
Now save by pressing x and leave the router by typing:
Code:
exit

After restarting your router it should ignore (what it thinks to be) DOSses from its ethernet port.

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 01:23:16 PM »

That sounded very promising, thanks.

Unfortunately, nothing changed. As soon as I click "fight", the modem dies.

Turning off the firewall completely, and disabling "dos" for wan didn't do anything either.

Guess I'll need a new router, this one is no go with OA.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 01:36:31 PM by HelloKitty! » Logged

Cakes 7

Is 7 up?

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 01:00:29 PM »

Well, that is the command to turn off the DOS-protection on zyxel routers, so the problem must be somewhere else. Have you tried looking for clues in the routers logs?

I'm on the ten most wanted list, I've got it dead in the groove.
My face is on every wanted poster in town, for the way I move.
befno
Half-Nub

Cakes -6

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 12:15:30 PM »

I get that too. When I go to the server browser and click refresh, the signal dies immediately.  It's interesting that this occurs with every other game that uses id tech 3.  Other games including those with other id engines query just well.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: