Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: J.M. 1: Mini Arenas  (Read 7105 times)
Moixie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« on: April 30, 2011, 05:31:19 AM »

J.M. stands for "Just Moixie", because there is only one player behind that. Cry

Well, the idea behind it (the first one, if this goes well, I have some more ideas) is simple: to make "Mini-Arenas" maps. For this objective to be accomplished, I guess, a group of us should work together. For instance, a group of people making map related things and the map(s) itself/ves, and other group for testing it/them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Mini-Arena is what I think it is, but what I think it is isn't exactly what everybody thinks it is, that's why i should change this name. then, what I think it is:
_ First of all, the map is totally symetrical (2 times, 3 times, 4 times or 5 times,... its a bit hard after, but still possible...)
_ A really simple plan, The map should be learnable really quickly, I mean, in 5 minutes we should be able to know exactly how the map is, where every way drive us to, every teleporter,...
_ it would be playable in all gametypes.. (then, it's normally done for the FFA/LMS/ELI/TDM....)

thanks to these 3 caracteristics, the mini arenas have many good sides:
_ we can do it quickly !
_ Really simple form, so it's easier to know where players will go, how they ll play and to prevent camp or respawn kills. So we can perfectly balance it.
_thanks to the symmetry, we can develop easily a texture style, a special ambiance,... We can even apply a contrast, like a good side and a bad one, a black side and a white one, a sunny one and a scary one, etc...

Examples on non-symmetric maps can be found on every game, but I havnt any example for the moment... sorry x)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, because I didn't understand myself what I wrote, I prepared a kind of mini arena map.
you can download it here: http://dl-tm.at.ua/load/0-0-0-23-20

So, this is inspired from 13vast's base. there are 3 different floors. Then, the important point is that when you switch from a non-team gametype to a team one, the map changes. In this map, only colors change but I could add flags on the big colums' wall or anywhere else.

(the map in itself isn't so important, morever, there are much bugs, the sky, some weapons disapeares during the game... the plasma is here the first 5 minutes  but disapears like the bears in alska)

Well, who's interested in this?
THE list: =)

Creating:
- Moixie - Mapper (uh?)

Testing:
- Moixie (what a tester !)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »

Lol this wouldn't be a bad Jedi Academy level, excellent use of evillair already

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 11:35:31 AM »

Your sample map is a great example of what you meant.  Small, simple, and a great place to blow stuff up!

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:28:33 AM »

Great map. Hope we'll se more from you.

hint: we need more good CTF maps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: