Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Audio stuff  (Read 8269 times)
badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 21, 2007, 11:00:05 AM »

I don't know how the q3 engine handles audio, but I get the feeling it's a little different in q3 than OA, specifically stereo panning.  I'm not sure, though, because I don't know how to check in the source.  There are ways of calculating right and left volumes that aren't linear, that result in constant power.  If OA already uses this, nevermind.

Also, I checked on the Csound thing.  Csound is LGPL, which as I understand it means anyone can use parts of it, even proprietary software.  So I'm thinking just the code from the hrtfer opcode (head related transfer functions) could be extracted and used to filter audio in 3 dimensions.  The HRTF were created using a dummy head with microphones in the ears, playing sounds from a couple dozen angles, and comparing the result to the original sound.  The physical structures of the head and ears affect sound differently depending on which direction it comes from, so with headphones this could really make OA sound vivid.  HRTF also accounts for the slight delay in sound reaching the farther ear.
Alas, I don't know the first thing about coding, or how to integrate this into OA.  If anyone is interested in trying, I'd be happy to help as I can.  Source for Csound:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=81968&package_id=120482&release_id=462183
erachude
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 12:14:12 PM »

i don't know anything about coding just yet, but it's an interesting idea. i always use headphones when i'm using my computer, so it would be great for people like me.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 12:52:21 PM »

The ioquake3 engine does support OpenAL (Vanilla q3 doesn't)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
badmuthahubbard
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2007, 05:23:49 PM »

Wow, I never checked OpenAL out before.  I'll do some studying with it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: