Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: OA players  (Read 64537 times)
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 05:41:42 PM »

I wouldnt go as far as saying NA players are better. Just check latest pro games - CS, LoL, SC 2, QL - EU + Russia rule them all minus koreans in SC2 Smiley

In OA lack of good admined server is problematic for me. CTF maps on servers are not chosen based on quality. There are some good servers but.... Same goes with TDM, Elimination, mods attract clans and competitive play.
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 08:50:00 PM »

i wonder ...

maybe a euro vs NA?

Mega Rules The World ! Mega Rules The World
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »

Only way for trying this is on LAN Smiley So we get together few sponsors who give 100k+ $/€ and we fly guys from around the globe to some place and play it out Tongue
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 09:44:46 PM »

lol that is the only way it will be fair Smiley

RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2012, 09:33:34 AM »

It will never be fair.

Let's say the odds of a really great player is 1 in 100 people. Someone with talent I mean, not just someone who practices more than the rest. Where do you think it's more likely a good player will play OA, in NA where there are fewer players or in EU where there are plenty? (Let's for the moment assume that what is said above is true). In the EU of course, if we have 1000 players and you 500, you would, statistically seen, have half the number of great players we got.

The thing to measure here is the odds. If you had 500 players and we 1000 and you would be able to produce 6 players which are really great and we only alien that would mean you indeed have better players because your great_players/total_players ratio is higher. 6/5 vs 8/10 is still possible to be random though, it is all just chance.

Other variables play too by the way. If there is a chance of 1 in 20 that a given OA player has plenty of time to practice nearly every evening, then the same problem arises again. NA would have less people with much time, which also decreases the chance that you will get a great player + player with much time combination.

I don't think we can accurately measure this without turning it into an entire study. Also I don't think EU players are worse than NA ones. What actually makes you think that?
WaspKiller
Bigger member

Cakes 8

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »

Meh... even RMF with his deductive reasoning is wrong.  The fact is, players from all seven continents suck, suck, suck!  Any person with a scintilla of intellect knows that only Arctic players rock!

ofc, you will never see their stats on GameTracker, Steam, XFire, etc, but that's because those buggers are crafty.  Subterfuge, deception and misdirection comprise just three of their non-lethal arsenal.  Why, you could be playing against a player you think is from Poland or Serbia but in reality... BAM!, he's from the circle!

Trust me, these guys are so below the radar that earthworms are above them.  Beware!

Calm is for LOSERS!  ANGER fuels my game and btw you're NEXT!
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2012, 03:15:31 PM »

Only way for trying (a euro vs NA competition) is on LAN Smiley

Not necessarily. First, we now have delag for all hitscans weapons directly integrated into OA. Plus, some mods even provide full delag (delag for all weapons: hitscans + projectiles), so this balances even more. Plus fixed-physics now.

If you want to have an even more balanced game, you can further take the step of installing two servers: one located on a EU host, and another one on NA, and organize the matchs so that the first match is on EU and the second one on NA. This method was actually used for the OpenArena Clans League of 2010.

Fair competition can be organized, but you need a good organization, a good set of fair rules and a good technical staff.

Other variables play too by the way. If there is a chance of 1 in 20 that a given OA player has plenty of time to practice nearly every evening, then the same problem arises again. NA would have less people with much time, which also decreases the chance that you will get a great player + player with much time combination.

And I would further add that the timezone shift imply that NA players are less likely to have the chance to train since they are playing at times when EU players usually don't play. Less competition = lower level.
christooss
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »

GrosBedo I was joking. Of course we can do your kind of competition.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »

If you want to have an even more balanced game, you can further take the step of installing two servers: one located on a EU host, and another one on NA, and organize the matchs so that the first match is on EU and the second one on NA.
This'd still require the exact same network conditions during both matches. Let's just assume that Level3 (or any other carrier for that matter) is overloaded while NA plays on EU, they'd get even worse pings.
This can only be avoided in a LAN, even more so with the exact same equipment for everyone.

This space is for rent.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »

@grey matter: you are talking about hazards, which can also happen in LAN games.

Of course, it would have more impact in the setup I described, but it still would be a fair game, since NA players would still have an advantage over EU players (because even if the host is overloaded and lagging, NA players will have a lower ping anyway than EU players).

What matters here is not a perfect situation, but a fair game. If one team has an advantage in a game, give the same advantage to the other team next game.

But indeed a perfect game in a perfect situation would be played in a LAN.
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2012, 01:28:59 PM »

Actually I wouldn't mind meeting some of the US players in real life ^^
swaggerall

Cakes -58

Mega|^AIM

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 02:28:48 PM »

lol @RMF

Tiny
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »

We already met some european players, i got some old NA friends that i would enjoy to meet.

Fear the Tiny's fire!! ( or bring some water! )
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2012, 08:42:06 AM »

Actually I wouldn't mind meeting some of the US players in real life ^^
I'm in South Carolina.  The problem with meeting US players is we're scattered over a HUGE area.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Tiny
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2012, 09:06:51 AM »

True, i know some canadians, some from arizona/florida/etc Shocked

SILVERFOX
Nub

Cakes 1

Long live Open Arena

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2012, 09:54:30 AM »

I had a dream ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Open Arena Con. It could happen some day, I hope. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »

OACon sounds like a blast!

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Tiny
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:28 AM »

I had a dream ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Open Arena Con. It could happen some day, I hope. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

There was Open Arena supeR,Lan last july for 4 days in Blotzheim ( in france, near switzerland  Wink

SILVERFOX
Nub

Cakes 1

Long live Open Arena

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2012, 12:04:56 PM »

Impressive, I can only dream of going to France. Cry Cry Cry
!mp4ct
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2012, 08:42:23 AM »

http://oa-chs.warsforum.com/t29-mp4ct-s-fragmovies#1044  new AS fragmovie Tongue

House of the hunters :http://oa-chs.warsforum.com/         chs/clan
Wiiyamoto
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 02:17:57 AM »

I am a strong advocate of there being a Clans page on the main OA website, and having an "official Open Arena tourney" I think having a little more unity in the sense of clans will help spark competition again. Either way, NA is just about dead... oaN members still hop on and play. But we do so very little and usually alias :0. Most NA players either have stopped or moved on to QL!  Roll Eyes

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
nba.richforever
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2012, 04:12:35 PM »

I am a strong advocate of there being a Clans page on the main OA website, and having an "official Open Arena tourney" I think having a little more unity in the sense of clans will help spark competition again

This is why what ive been meaning to say for years!

the offical site needs to take action

thanks wii

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »

the offical site needs to take action

thanks wii

Just like q3a's site should constantly maintain a list of clans?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2012, 12:26:39 PM »

Just like q3a's site should constantly maintain a list of clans?
Just like Q3A still has more players than OA even without any official community? Tongue

Maybe there should be a "Getting started with OA" wiki page which you could then link more prominently on openarena.ws? This way you don't really need to bother with content updates, as they are maintained by the community (that is; Gig Cheesy ).

As far as "official tourney" goes; this is quite a bunch of work just for fromhell alone. How about having one of the pros (bros?) like WaspKiller plan such as thing and then just label it as official? This naturally requires quite some effort from their side, but I'm sure they're willing to help.

This space is for rent.
BlueBoy
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »

If OA player base is dropping it's most definitely because of poorly moderated servers and bad community

A lot of players need to see difference between DM and CTF, camping on CTF is over done in OA, and the people who camp usually also trash talk and annoy the fair players.. I have been playing OA for like 3+ years, and I've seen only one moderated server out there (GeM's instagib).. And it's like the only server I play..

I go to ROFL - All rockets just because I love all rockets.. But I've been pushed away from that server by the players who are usually on there.. You can't have one game without a camper who is just sitting in base shooting at flag, and since the server doesn't have bright skins, it's sometimes hard to notice that there's somebody waiting for you in the base.. And to make it even worse, those campers play better than like 80% of players on the server, so they really ruin the potential fun the server has. I got on it yesterday, and there were Assrape, Joker camping their bases, until Palas came it was alright since Assrape kept getting kicked (3-1 votes), but since Palas came he would vote not to kick Assrape so votes were 3-2 and would always fail, Assrape was camping red base, Joker was camping blue base, until literally everybody left. The server had like 8 players on it, then I left and in like 2 mins I came back to record the campers, but unfortunately the server was already empty..

On other servers situation is even worse though, I've played plenty of 2v5 games in which all 5 enemy players were about my skill .. And there's really no moderator to say "hey, hey how about play fair?"..  On a lot of ctf servers people just spectate until they get a chance to team up with other good players and play against "noobs", so they dominate like 8-0.. And then they trash talk calling you names and saying you have 0 skill..

The only reason I play OA is because of that one well moderated server I mentioned, every other server is horribly moderated, and the community in general is filled with players who are afraid of challenge and refuse to play fair, yet they think highly of themselves..
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: