Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.8.8 LAN problems  (Read 16217 times)
motrreh
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 28, 2012, 05:00:25 AM »

Hi.
I have problems with playing 0.8.8 on LAN, basically it doesn't work.
I used to play with my roommates 0.8.1 on LAN, when we switched to 0.8.8 we cant play anymore.
We haven't changed any settings (we still can play 0.8.1).
We use MAC with Snow Leopard, and two PCs (W7, XP).
Do you have any idea what may be the problem?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 05:33:27 AM by motrreh » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 05:21:02 AM »

"We can't play anymore" is too generic. Could you please give us some more infos?

The server seems to run, but clients cannot find it? Or they find it but they get an error when trying to join it? Or the server can't load a map? Or what else?

And if you try to play on an internet server, does that work?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
motrreh
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 05:30:13 AM »

yes, we can play on internet servers.
Sever runs but others can't see it.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 05:43:37 AM »

Already tried turning off firewall software on the server and on one of the clients, to check if the reason has to be searched there?

And what happens if you try to join that server directly, using /connect server_ip:port (e.g. /connect 192.168.0.1:27960)?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
motrreh
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 05:48:12 AM »

Havent tried to connect directly.
I doubt that firewall settings are the problem. Few minutes after we failed to play 0.8.8 we didnt have any problems playing 0.8.1.
Edit: tried to connect directly and it didnt work
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 05:54:31 AM »

How do you switch from 0.8.8 or 0.8.1, exactly? Do you have two different OA installation folders? Or do you have two different OA binaries with different names in the same folder (and manually enable or disable 0.8.8/0.8.5 pk3 files by changing their extesion each time)?

If the software firewall is configured to allow specific programs to use the network, using an executable in a different folder or with a different name would probably require an additional "exception" on the firewall for it.

More, you mentioned 0.8.8 and 0.8.1... but what happens with 0.8.5? 0.8.5 patch pk3 file is required for 0.8.alien too.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 06:03:49 AM »

And if, after starting the server and loading a map, try to start also a client session on the same machine and search for the server, what happens?

motrreh
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 06:20:43 AM »

We have different OA installation folders.
We've never played 0.8.5 (we skipped that version).
We got full 0.8.8 version.
We double checked firewall (on all computers) and it doesnt block openarena.
Sorry, that Im not specific enough, i'm a newbie.

edit: just check your last advice and it does work (playing two games on the same machine and connecting to eachother)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:24:11 AM »

I know that there was (is?) a problem with OA 0.8.8 binaries under Mac... something about permissions probably (the need to "chmod" some files... this was due to the .zip packaging been done on a Windows machine), but I'm not into Mac so I cannot help you with that. I don't know if the currently downloadable package is a fixed version or not (I fear not... by the way a hotfix should be released somewhere in the future). I don't know if that thing may cause the problems you are experiencing, but it seems unlikely (considering that you can play on other servers).

motrreh
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:20:32 AM »

~Gig thank you very much for help.
We did few stuff:
set up different router only for lan
reseted all settings to default (but mostly what we had changed was some graphic stuff)
turned off all firewalls on mac
and now we're able to play Smiley
Thanks for your time and all the advices
Tiny
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »

If you wanna use 088 for mac i would rather advise you to dl first 081, then add the 085 patch, then the 088 patch, the full dl 088 version seems to have some troubles somehow Huh

But if you add all the patches, it'll work perfectly Wink
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 01:42:27 AM by Tiny » Logged

Fear the Tiny's fire!! ( or bring some water! )
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 01:47:43 PM »

I downloaded the full 088 on three macs, and performed the chmod magic to get it running on each.  We haven't had an issue with connecting.  Do you have a router or other device on your network that may be interfering?

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Tiny
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 01:44:34 AM »

I downloaded the full 088 on three macs, and performed the chmod magic to get it running on each.  We haven't had an issue with connecting.  Do you have a router or other device on your network that may be interfering?

Might possibly depends too of the version you're running, there was some changes between 10.6/snow leopard and Lion, idk much about that, but that could maybe have something to do with those binaries problems.

Fear the Tiny's fire!! ( or bring some water! )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: