Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA and VPNs  (Read 12981 times)
MortStoHelit
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 28, 2012, 06:31:14 AM »

i just tried to run OA over Hamachi but it wont connect to the Hamachi IP i have tried the set net_ip command and still not working does any one have any ideas on how i could get this to work thanks.

i am running windows 7 64bit home premium (i think) and windows xp at the other end
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 08:13:20 AM »

net_ip is to set your own ip, and you have to afterwards load the changes by doing /net_restart

Also, you could try to take a look on net_qport which defines your local port when you use the same LAN for multiple computers (which Hamachi could be compared to).
MortStoHelit
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 11:33:36 AM »

GrosBedo thanks for that

does anyone know if there is an easy way to reset the network ip address after a hamachi game also is there a way of checking ipadress being used for lan game
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »

About resetting the ip, I think you can simply set net_ip "0.0.0.0", since this IP is invalid the engine should automatically launch a detection for a valid one (that's what I use for my Internet servers as well as Lan server, and as well as Internet behind lan servers).

About checking ip addressed being used, if you mean that you would like to see the game servers in the in-game servers list browser, normally you should already see the servers in the same LAN (or Hamachi) in Multiplayer if you check the Type to "local". Also you can try to set the net_port of your servers to a port between 27960-27963, it seems the game easierly see LAN servers with these ports (eg: a GTV server can only be seen in a LAN if it has a port in this range).
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:14:03 PM »

Listening on the wild card address "0.0.0.0" is the same as listening on all interfaces (0.0.0.0 is a standard address known by the operating system). In nearly all cases that is what you want (I know a few exceptions like X, SSH, DNS and SQL-servers).

Just wondering. I know Hamachi is supposed to make it seem like the computers are on the same LAN and I know from experience that the Windows firewall is a common problem.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
MortStoHelit
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »

About checking ip addressed being used, if you mean that you would like to see the game servers in the in-game servers list browser, normally you should already see the servers in the same LAN (or Hamachi) in Multiplayer if you check the Type to "local". Also you can try to set the net_port of your servers to a port between 27960-27963, it seems the game easierly see LAN servers with these ports (eg: a GTV server can only be seen in a LAN if it has a port in this range).

GrosBedo thanks for all your help i have found out that when you open the console you will see a line "opening IP socket 0.0.0.0:27960" if is pointing to your LAN or "opening IP socket 5.5.5.5:27960" if hamachi this is what i was on ablout IP address being used

i am going to try and put all this data together so others may know how to use hamchi or other VPN solutions
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 01:45:22 PM »

I play almost daily on Hamachi.  Generally, I host, and the other player connects by directly entering my Hamachi IP address.  We've never had an issue.  We've done this with a mixture of Mac, Windows, and Linux.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 02:19:50 PM »

Listening on the wild card address "0.0.0.0" is the same as listening on all interfaces (0.0.0.0 is a standard address known by the operating system). In nearly all cases that is what you want (I know a few exceptions like X, SSH, DNS and SQL-servers).

Ah ok, thank's sago for the info Smiley I didn't think Quake3 was able to use this address, and I was pretty sure that it automatically detected the right address at launching (I can remember GTV doing this, but maybe now with ioquake3 things are different). Anyway this is very useful, in fact this is the only I have found to make an OA server, on a Windows computer, and behind a LAN, being seen on the Internet listing. Very useful.

i am going to try and put all this data together so others may know how to use hamchi or other VPN solutions

Good initiative Smiley Please post it on the wiki if you want!

----

Just a question guys: why do you use Hamachi when you can use passwords to privatize a server?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »

I imagine things mentioned here that may be useful in the wiki are:
- net_ip and net_restart, with behavior in case of changed connectivity/IP after OpenArena startup.
- net_ip 0.0.0.0, and mentioning it may be useful to make a server behind a NAT pubicly visible.
- Usage in VPN, with Hamaci example.

If you can write some "recaps" of these things, I may integrate them into the wiki when I have some time (or you may also do it yourself... anyway I have some thoughts about where to place them here (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 12:59:12 AM »

Hi guys! Someone interested in doing what I said in the post above this one?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: