Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux fullscreen  (Read 13469 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« on: October 25, 2012, 02:09:19 PM »

I just stumbled upon https://mail.gnome.org/archives/wm-spec-list/2012-October/msg00001.html and thought I would mention how glad I am that someone are giving the problem aomw  attention.

Maybe this can bring and end to the "The game crashed, and it left my screen too bright!" problem on (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ

Personally I don't think the suggestion on the mailing list is ambitious enough. I think a fullscreen game should be able to change the resolution without any other programs knowing about it or being affected by it at all.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »

Windows suffers the "screen too bright crash" too. This is solvable by either moving overbrights into combine functions (where it'll work in a window at the expense of fill rate - this is UnrealEngine2's method) or using GLSL for color correction.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 01:02:51 AM »

The "fix" tool DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#The_game_crashed.2C_and_it_left_my_screen_too_bright.21]mentioned here looks like it's for Microsoft Windows only.
The article you posted, instead, is for Linux... do you mean that also linux suffers the same problem, and the only possible fix, at the moment, is a restart?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 08:50:46 AM »

do you mean that also linux suffers the same problem, and the only possible fix, at the moment, is a restart?
The problem on Linux is a little different and I would generally say that it is worse. As I remember on Windows you can start the game again and shut it down correctly.

On Linux the problem is not as much brightness as it is the resolution.
If the game runs in 640x480 and crashes, you will be returned to the desktop -> the desktop will be resized to 640x480 -> you try to change it back -> the program that is used for changing it back either requires a 800x600 resolution or it has been tricked into thinking that 640x480 is the highest resolution your monitor supports-> You end up just restarting X (or the computer).

There are nothing offending in my posts.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 05:55:13 PM »

Personally I don't think the suggestion on the mailing list is ambitious enough. I think a fullscreen game should be able to change the resolution without any other programs knowing about it or being affected by it at all.
I agree, I think the concept of a whole "screen" (rather than a window) should be made explicit -- similar to what the Amiga had 25 years ago.

Another problem that I've had is mouse grabbing: a fullscreen program can grab the mouse, and if it dies or crashes then the mouse stays "grabbed" and the user cannot move it, rendering the whole desktop unusable.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: