Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting "Connection interrupted" all the time  (Read 31860 times)
Ifnister
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 04, 2013, 05:49:29 AM »

Hello.

I installed Open Arena some days ago, and since then, whenever I try to play online, I'll get "Connection interrupted" often, making the game unplayable. It lasts for about 2 seconds in which the screen freezes.
I have tried modifying cl_maxpackets, snaps, rate, cg_delag, cl_packetdup but It hasn't worked.
I'm running an almost fresh install of Ubuntu (12.04.2) and I don't have internet problems while browsing the internet; I have played online other games in Windows and I've never had any problems.

Here's a screen-capture, look at the lagometer:
http://imageshack.us/f/838/screenshotfrom201302031.png/
It happens like twice a minute and it happens regardless if there are human players or not.
I have tried reinstalling it, playing on different servers, port forwarding (27960) but nothing was worked. Any ideas?
Thank you so much.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 07:07:51 AM »

Quite strange, what kind of connection are you using? Wireless connections are not recommended. Are you able to test other games/PCs/Operating Systems?

Can you perform the tests of http://www.speedtest.net and http://www.pingtest.net, and tell us the results?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Ifnister
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 07:23:35 AM »

I am using wireless connection, however, I've played in the same machine on Windows 7 a lot of online games without having problems.
I'll test some online games on Ubuntu with wine and tell you how it goes.
I'll perforfm the other test later, since I need to install Java
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 07:44:40 AM »

With "wireless", do you mean "ADSL + Wifi"? You may try to connect to your router using a network cable.
I guess you don't have Windows anymore on that machine... did you also play OpenArena when you had Windows?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Ifnister
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 09:24:37 AM »

Yes, I have ADSL and Wifi. I can't connect to the router using network cable due to the distribution of the house.
I've just installed OpenArena in Windows 7, and in 10 minutes or so it hasn't happened once.
I have changed DNS server who seemed to be wrong in Linux but it's still happening :/
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:38:17 AM »

I don't know what to tell you, then... I have limited Linux experience...
I hope someone else around here may help you better.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »

Wifi is really no good at all if you want to get low latency, and it's quite known to be causing such bugs.

Also, you have a small upload bandwidth. So when you do play, be sure to close any internet browser and any app that can make use of your upload bandwidth (such as your torrent client).

There also may be other reasons for your problems, such as your firewall (that may be included either in your OS and/or in your internet box), your ingame configuration, etc...

I have updated a bit the wiki about client's configuration, please check all your cvars (some of them are very critical and often overlooked, like the /cl_nodelta):

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Tweak#Tweaking_online_gaming_parameters
TwEeK!
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2013, 09:58:13 PM »

I've had similar problems when playing OA over wireless with encryption turned on in the router. Unprotected wi-fi was much smoother (but obviously you're sacrificing something).

Also, over time I've learned that my housemate's Motorola cellphones can often cause enough interference to really wack out my lagometer for a few seconds at a time while he's on a call - and this is from 1-2 rooms away!

Not sure if either of these apply to your problem, but thought I'd mention this stuff. :-)

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: