Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyboxes  (Read 24585 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: March 05, 2013, 10:12:57 AM »

Hi all  Grin

I'm not sure, but this section seems to be the right section  Tongue

My "stupid" question is this:

Can i put here my personal skyboxes to let the community use they ?

Downloading from this site some material and modify it, theorically i can use they ? All the material seems under CC0 1.0 license.

The skybox can be used for official map ? And released under GPLv2 of course..... Tongue
(Gig, help me  Tongue )

Tell me if i'm right, please.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 10:41:27 AM »

CC0 is a license very close to "Public Domain" (AFAIK, it's the try to write down (explain) "public domain" as more coherent/universal way as possible, or something similar).
It is stated that OpenArena can accept GPLv2 or Public Domain stuff only... Considering that CC0 is extremely near to "Public Domain", I suppose it may be accptable. And that you may edit that stuff and re-realease it under the license you prefer (e.g. GPLv2 and/or CC0).

But again, I would like to have a precise statement from Fromhell about that.

This may be the right time to clarify also if CC-BY can be used by us (ad re-licensed to GPLv2) or not. Please notice that I'm referring to CC-BY, that is different than CC-BY-SA (the Share Alike option requires you to follow the same license  -or also a compatible one-, so I think re-licensing it may be more difficult, I guess).
CC-BY just requires to mention the original author... I don't know if GPLv2 has got the same requirement (if yes, I suppose the two licenses can be compatible (from CC-BY to GPL, not vice versa)... -we could use that stuff, mentioning original authors-, .... if not, I suppose they are not compatible and we cannot use that).

I think CC0 should comply with no problems, but I would wait for Fromhell. I think CC0 may be a precious source of stuff.

Of course, check the license for every file you download from there, I suppose they may be some with different licenses.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 12:43:41 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 04:24:42 PM »

The GNU site (www.gnu.org) says that CC0 is compatible with the GPL.

Hence CC0 should be fine -- it is merely an explicit version of what "Public Domain" usually means.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 04:36:24 PM »

CC0 is a license very close to "Public Domain" (AFAIK, it's the try to write down (explain) "public domain" as more coherent/universal way as possible, or something similar).
It is stated that OpenArena can accept GPLv2 or Public Domain stuff only... Considering that CC0 is extremely near to "Public Domain", I suppose it may be accptable. And that you may edit that stuff and re-realease it under the license you prefer (e.g. GPLv2 and/or CC0).

But again, I would like to have a precise statement from Fromhell about that.

This may be the right time to clarify also if CC-BY can be used by us (ad re-licensed to GPLv2) or not. Please notice that I'm referring to CC-BY, that is different than CC-BY-SA (the Share Alike option requires you to follow the same license  -or also a compatible one-, so I think re-licensing it may be more difficult, I guess).
CC-BY just requires to mention the original author... I don't know if GPLv2 has got the same requirement (if yes, I suppose the two licenses can be compatible... -we could use that stuff, mentioning original authors-, .... if not, I suppose they are not compatible and we cannot use that).

I think CC0 should comply with no problems, but I would wait for Fromhell. I think CC0 may be a precious source of stuff.

Of course, check the license for every file you download from there, I suppose they may be some with different licenses.

So what about MIT-license?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 12:49:24 AM »

I don't know.
About CC0, the page that states it's compatible with GPL here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#CC0

In that page, it mentions a couple of licenses ("Expat License" and "X11 License") that are "sometimes called MIT license, but that term is misleading, since MIT has used many licenses for software.".

PS: In that page, they also mention CC-BY (Creative Commons Attribution) and CC-BY-SA (Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike), and state they are NOT complatible with GPL (although they mention the old 2.0 version of those CC licenses, while the current version is 3.0, IIRC).
So, it seems CC0 yes, while CC-BY or CC-BY-SA no.

Anyway, let's wait for Fromhell.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 04:36:02 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »

I don't know.
About CC0, the page that states it's compatible with GPL here:
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.en.html#CC0

In that page, it mentions a couple of licenses ("Expat License" and "X11 License") that are "sometimes called MIT license, but that term is misleading, since MIT has used many licenses for software."

As far as I know MIT is even more free as GPL-license, as it in principe just tells others to do whatever they want  do with the content, as long as they will always provide the name of the original author. I'm not sure as I may have misunderstood the meaning, that's why I'm asking...

P.S. OMG My first cake!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 05:17:04 PM by Suicizer » Logged

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »

From what I know, MIT license can be relicensed under GPL since GPL is more restrictive than MIT (MIT is a copyfree license, while GPL is copyleft) and requires recipients to also share the software under the GPL license.

MIT only asks to keep the author's attribution (which is a legal requirements, even for public domain items, you cannot ever remove the author's attribution). This requirement, being also fulfilled by GPL, you can normally use MIT content and relicense under GPL.

See GPL-Compatibility.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 01:56:44 AM »

Wikipedia page about MIT License.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License

Again, I would wait for an answer from Fromhell...

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »

From what I know, MIT license can be relicensed under GPL since GPL is more restrictive than MIT (MIT is a copyfree license, while GPL is copyleft) and requires recipients to also share the software under the GPL license.

MIT only asks to keep the author's attribution (which is a legal requirements, even for public domain items, you cannot ever remove the author's attribution). This requirement, being also fulfilled by GPL, you can normally use MIT content and relicense under GPL.

See GPL-Compatibility.

So what is public domain actually? Please don't link to wiki, it didn't help, neither on my own language.

grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 02:31:49 PM »

So what is public domain actually? Please don't link to wiki, it didn't help, neither on my own language.
Not sure whether there is an exact definition of "public domain" that people (especially lawyers) all over the world would agree upon. That's why there are legalese workarounds like CC0, Unlicense, WTFPL and so on.

This space is for rent.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2013, 03:15:01 AM »

"public domain" basically means that you can do whatever you want with the author's work (the book, movie, picture, song or whatever).  So the author no longer "owns" the work, and cannot control what happens to it.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 12:29:01 AM »

Hi all of you.

I have found some skyboxes maded for Xonotic by BARTUC.
http://forums.xonotic.org/archive/index.php?thread-1090.html

I want to know if they can be used for official OA maps, i dont understand well, but seems that some can be used and some not. Please, can you tell me ?

Here is the readme:
This skybox was made by Fabio "BARTUC" Piccinni and is release un GPLV2 ( just give me credits for my work )

Copyright (c) 2010 Fabio "BARTUC" Piccinni
All rights reserved.

Authors MAY NOT use this skybox as a base to build additional skybox.
If you want my permission pleas mail me : bartuc1988@yahoo.it
If you want to rewrite script shader you are free to do that.

You MUST NOT distribute this skybox UNLESS you INCLUDE THIS FILE WITH
NO MODIFICATIONS. If you don't co-operate, then DON'T DISTRIBUTE IT
IN ANY FORM.

This SKYBOX may be distributed ONLY over the Internet.
You are NOT authorized to put this SKYBOX on any CD or distribute it in
any way without my written permission.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 03:39:37 AM »

That readme stuff looks very strange. First he says it's GPLv2, but then he states you cannot do any change -except for the script- (nor even distribute on CD or USB stick!) without his permission.... and this does not comply with GPLv2, IMHO.
That looks something we should keep away...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 04:46:14 AM »

That readme stuff looks very strange. First he says it's GPLv2, but then he states you cannot do any change -except for the script- (nor even distribute on CD or USB stick!) without his permission.... and this does not comply with GPLv2, IMHO.
That looks something we should keep away...

I've take it there for this reason. I have write to BARTUC in private and i'm waiting for his response.
By the way, i think it's possible to use this skyboxes, but i want to know what Fromhell think about it.

These skyboxes was created with Terragen, i dont know if terragen as possibility to release material under GPLv2.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 07:51:29 AM »

Terragen was already marked as non-GPL stuff here.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 09:25:43 AM »

Terragen was already marked as non-GPL stuff here.

Oh crap.....  Embarrassed

Rest In PEACE!

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 12:48:07 AM »

And anyway, that guy should have clearly re-licensed his stuff. A simple "Okay, you can use it in OpenArena" would not have been enough. He would have had to release the package without those requests to ask for his permission to modify the skybox or to distribute the package on different media... relying on standard GPLv2 instead.

Anyone has to be free to take OpenArena and to make his own fork from it (e.g. ports to other OSs), or to use specific stuff from it (a texture, a model, a map) into other projects and modify it with the only requirement to comply with GPLv2... hence we can't accept "for OA only" permissions.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:58:42 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 01:54:43 AM »

Hi, i have downloaded some nexuiz stuff, also textures and skyboxes, all nexuiz stuff are under GPL am i right ?
Theorically we can use that kind of materials, or not ? (i mean sound/textures/skyboxes)

Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: