Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: g_Alloc  (Read 29104 times)
unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 29, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »

Hello everyone,

When I'm trying to add more bots into the game for example more than 26 bots into the game, The game crashes and it gives me the following error: ''g_alloc: Failed on allocation of 9088 bytes''. Yes I've searched the forums for solving this problem. Some say it worked for them if they increased ''hunkmegs'' in console or config file. It doesn't work for me. I've also read that hunkmegs or something like this are hardcoded into the game files and cannot be changed. It gets annoying when I'm playing a big map and so low bots. So I'm asking if someone has a solution to this problem, I don't know how to compile my own opensource Q3.

If someone has a mod or a simple guide to fix this, I would be happy both for Q3 and Q3: TA.

Greetings from Slovenia  Grin
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »

Hello.

In Quake 3 Arena the maximum number of players in your match (offline) is 21, that mean 20 BOTS and you (player).
In online matches this number it's set by the server.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »

Hello.

In Quake 3 Arena the maximum number of players in your match (offline) is 21, that mean 20 BOTS and you (player).
In online matches this number it's set by the server.

Wink

I've increased the ''max_svclients'' After adding below 23, the game crashes (Q3 & Q3: TA) and gives me this g_alloc error.
I have added some huge maps into Q3: TA, but they are useless because of low number of bots in such big map. Anyone know how to fix this for offline play?  Thank you.  Wink
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 01:19:32 PM »

G_Alloc() is part of the gamecode, you'd thus need a modded qagame.qvm with increased buffer sizes. There's no configuration limit for that.

Just for clarification, are you running Q3, Q3:TA, OA or OA missionpack?

This space is for rent.
unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 01:22:43 PM »

G_Alloc() is part of the gamecode, you'd thus need a modded qagame.qvm with increased buffer sizes. There's no configuration limit for that.

I'm running Quake III Team Arena. So you or anybody has this modded qagame.qvm? Because I'm new at this stuff, and I don't really understand everything.

Thanks for helping.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 01:31:37 PM by unkn0wn » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 01:34:05 PM »

I'm running Quake III Team Arena. So you or anybody has this modded qagame.qvm?

Try to open the game and from the console, write this: set com_hunkmegs 256 and restart the game.

Wink

unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 01:47:57 PM »

I'm running Quake III Team Arena. So you or anybody has this modded qagame.qvm?

Try to open the game and from the console, write this: set com_hunkmegs 256 and restart the game.

Wink
I tried  /set com_hunkmegs 256  then restarted the game, The result is following:

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2013, 02:04:34 PM »

But this issue appear with every map or just some ?

Have you added an external PK3 ? It may give some conflict.....

Wink

unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2013, 02:14:11 PM »

Wink

Well, I tried with different maps, some maps handle below 24 bots, some crash at 22, then I tried increasing hunkmegs to 512, still some crash at 22, some below at 24-26
What do you mean maps that I have added? or mods? I will reinstall the Q3:TA any try again.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 02:24:25 PM by unkn0wn » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 02:32:15 PM »

Wink

Well, I tried with different maps, some maps handle below 24 bots, some crash at 22, then I tried increasing hunkmegs to 512, still some crash at 22, some below at 24-26
What do you mean maps that I have added? or mods? I will reinstall the Q3:TA any try again.

No no, i mean that sometimes, third part (downloaded) PK3 can give problems.

By the way, i have the same problem with only one TA ctfmap called "Distant Realms", the other map work well, maybe your videocard need an update ? (just asking) Huh
Wink

unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »

Wink

By the way, i have the same problem with only one TA ctfmap called "Distant Realms", the other map work well, maybe your videocard need an update ? (just asking) Huh
Wink

Reinstalled Quake III Team Arena, No custom added maps/mods, Increased hunkmegs, restarted the games, Loaded Map ''Overdose'', Game crashed at 26 bots. For me ''Distant Screams'' Aren't working, it gives me an g_alloc error.

Thanks for futher helping.  Embarrassed
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2013, 02:53:01 PM »

Wink

Wink

Reinstalled Quake III Team Arena, No custom added maps/mods, Increased hunkmegs, restarted the games, Loaded Map ''Overdose'', Game crashed at 26 bots. For me ''Distant Screams'' Aren't working, it gives me an g_alloc error.

Thanks for futher helping.  Embarrassed

I'm sorry, insert 21 as max game client and re-try......
.....i hope that someone else can help you better.

Wink

unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2013, 02:55:24 PM »

Wink

Wink

Thanks for futher helping.  Embarrassed

I'm sorry, insert 21 as max game client and re-try......
.....i hope that someone else can help you better.

Wink

Well, Thank you for trying to solve my problem, If anyone know how to fix this, please tell me  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 03:35:48 PM by unkn0wn » Logged
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2013, 02:15:37 AM »

greymatter already said it: this cannot be fixed unless somebody makes a mod with new QVMs which have a bigger g_Alloc buffer.
unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2013, 02:49:04 AM »

greymatter already said it: this cannot be fixed unless somebody makes a mod with new QVMs which have a bigger g_Alloc buffer.

After reading alot of forums about this problem, Did somebody make this mod?

Thanks for helping  Smiley
Jakash3
I EDITED ALL MY POSTS OUT LOL!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET FORUM!!
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

SELF-IMPOSED CENSORSHIP FTW!

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2013, 12:18:36 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:06:08 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

BY THE WAY I GAVE UP ON OPENARENA
unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2013, 05:12:09 PM »

Found it. game/g_mem.c:
Code:
#define POOLSIZE (256 * 1024)
static char memoryPool[POOLSIZE];

I increased it to 512 kb in this qvm: http://192.168.0.64/oa/oa088-512mempool.pk3

Your link isn't working for me. Could you please upload on some cloud service or something similar and give me the instructions how I make this work. Thank you!
Jakash3
I EDITED ALL MY POSTS OUT LOL!!! TAKE THAT, INTERNET FORUM!!
Half-Nub

Cakes -9

SELF-IMPOSED CENSORSHIP FTW!

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »

I give up on openarena
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 01:06:15 AM by Jakash3 » Logged

BY THE WAY I GAVE UP ON OPENARENA
unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 04:07:55 AM »

oh my god this is embarassing. I HATE MYSELF:

http://24.182.9.187/oa/oa088-512mempool.pk3

Make a folder in the same folder as your baseoa folder. name it anything you want. Put this pk3 file in that folder. Start the openarena client or server. Run this command "game_restart <modname>" where <modname> is the name of the folder you made.

Thank you Smiley I managed to apply it on OA, do you know how to apply it on regular Q3-Q3:TA?  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 04:14:45 AM by unkn0wn » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 04:50:43 AM »

Make a folder in the same folder as your baseoa folder. name it anything you want. Put this pk3 file in that folder. Start the openarena client or server. Run this command "game_restart <modname>" where <modname> is the name of the folder you made.

Thank you Smiley I managed to apply it on OA, do you know how to apply it on regular Q3-Q3:TA?  Smiley

Theorically it maybe played as a normal Q3 mod.

Create a new folder near Baseq3 (not inside!) named as you want (a name with no spaces).
Launch Quake 3 Arena (or TA) and load the mod.

Wink

unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 05:16:35 AM »

Thank you Smiley I managed to apply it on OA, do you know how to apply it on regular Q3-Q3:TA?  Smiley

Theorically it maybe played as a normal Q3 mod.

Create a new folder near Baseq3 (not inside!) named as you want (a name with no spaces).
Launch Quake 3 Arena (or TA) and load the mod.

Wink

I did, when I typed in console ''/game_restart <modname>'' it gives me an error that command is not recognizable. Is there an other way to appy this mod through console? And gives me this error ''vm/ui.qvm has bad header'' at game start..
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 05:21:40 AM by unkn0wn » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 05:33:04 AM »

I did, when I typed in console ''/game_restart <modname>'' it gives me an error that command is not recognizable. Is there an other way to appy this mod through console? And gives me this error ''vm/ui.qvm has bad header'' at game start..

It gives me the same error....... maybe there is an error in the code..... Rest In PEACE! Tongue

-.-"

unkn0wn
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 07:39:29 AM »

It gives me the same error....... maybe there is an error in the code..... Rest In PEACE! Tongue

-.-"

I think we should wait for the user ''Jakash3'' to tell us if is going to work with Q3&Q3:TA
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »

The id Quake 3 1.32c engine uses a different QVM format, for mods to be binary compatible with quake3 (VM_MAGIC) while compiled from ioquake3 sources (defaults to VM_MAGIC_VER2) one must pass -vq3 to q3asm (e.g. in the Makefile). Or just load the Q3 assets in an ioquake3 engine build. game_restart is only available in ioquake3 by the way.

This space is for rent.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 09:35:19 AM »

Although original Q3A has not game_restart, you can launch a mod from the Mods menu or from os command line (quake3.exe +set fs_game <modfolder>). Of course this cannot fix the qvm format issue.

A thing I suppose you may try is to download and install the ioquake3 package, and then try if jackash's tweak "mod" works there.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 10:46:24 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: