Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Linux Game Tome (a.k.a. Happypenguin) calls it quits 13/4  (Read 6284 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: April 02, 2013, 06:30:29 PM »

Bad news:

Hi folks, The Linux Game Tome will shut down on April 13. Those of us who have maintained happypenguin.org over the years now lack both the time and the ambition to do what is necessary to keep the site afloat. If you’ve been paying attention, you’ve noticed the spam clogging the forums, the lack of updates and the increasing brokenness of the site. The code driving this site, written by a novice web developer in 1999, is sorely out of date. It’s time to put it out of its misery.

If the community misses this resource, I urge it to build The Linux Game Tome v3.0. If such an effort ever came to fruition and publicly pledged to remain free and not for profit, I would be delighted to transfer ownership of the happypenguin.org domain. Sometime soon, I’ll make available a dump of the Game Tome games database (minus user information) that anyone may use for any purpose they’d like, including building a successor site. Before you ask: no, you may not have a copy of the site code. It is not fit for human consumption. Even as a reference, it can only corrupt.

Thank you to everyone who contributed to the site over the years, either as moderators, contributors or benefactors.

bobz

Link

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 08:05:17 PM »

Well for years it felt in a state of disrepair after years of not updating phpbb (which was still on a 2.0 branch IIRC) and letting the spambots roam freely for weeks without action

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »

It was not entirely unexpected. Of course there are many memories connected to that site. It was there I learned about the existence of OpenArena and many other projects. But it has been idle for so long and closing it seems like the rational choice.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: