Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problem Open Arena  (Read 17720 times)
lu2b3l
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 26, 2013, 03:54:53 PM »

Hi,  have a serious problem with the game and it's not going, i have a Mac, had to reformat and install everything again when download the game again and  can not open it, downloaded it, and iclick the icon to enter the game and not let me: (, someone using mac and does well?, anyone knows what could be the problem? 've tried everything, updated software, read tutorials, change things, and nothing at all Sad
It is a MAc OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)

PD: It was a flawed the game punched
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 03:19:18 AM »

Which version of the game did you download? Unfortunately, the 0.8.8 "complete" package has got a problem with Mac executables (some Mac file attributes (permissions?) were lost being the .zip made from Windows).
If this is your problem, you can either:
1) use the "chmod" command to set the correct attributes to flag the Mac binaries as "executables" (unfortunately, I'm not a Mac user and I don't know the exact command syntax required).
or
2) Install 0.8.1 + 0.8.5 patch + 0.8.8 patch, in sequence (0.8.8 "patch" .zip does not have the Mac attributes problem)
or
3) Start from 0.8.8 "complete" package, but then overwrite the Mac binaries with those you find in 0.8.8 patch file.

Let us know if this solves your problem.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:23:06 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
lu2b3l
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 08:48:56 AM »

Hello and thanks!

I tried to do what you tell me unless paragraph 1 do not understand, tried to put in the terminal chmod mac, but nothing comes out, i know: (, still leave the game, downloaded the 0.8.5 , which is the only thing was missing, I installed the 3 patches and still the same.
In any case thank you very much and sorry for the inconvenience.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 10:00:03 AM »

You did actually extract all the files to a folder somewhere in your hard drive, right? Just to be sure you are not trying to run the game directly from the .zip package.

All I know for OA 0.8.8 for Mac is to extract the 0.8.8 "patch" package files in a way they overwrite those from the 0.8.8 "complete" package you previously extracted.
Be careful with "paths", considering that 0.8.8 "patch" package may refer to a "openarena-081" folder while 088 "complete" package may refer to a "openarena-088" folder (I don't remember exactly now): you may have to manually drag patch files to the correct folder or something similar.

By the way, I pointed out this thread to Jackoverfull, who compiled Mac binaries... hoping he could help you better.  Smiley
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 10:06:51 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »

Here I am…  Wink

the exact terminal command to give is

Code:
chmod +x /drag-here/OpenArena\ 0.8.8\ r28.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub

then press enter.

Or here you can find a version of the application that has the permissions already fixed (back up again!), just replace the old one with this one and should work.

Not too sure about the patch thing, been a long time…
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 08:15:52 AM »

Thank you Jack!

I fear you forgot the hyperlink in the "here" word... however, I suppose it's this file: http://www.jackoverfull.com/tmp/OAMac088r28.zip

Considering I'd like to mention the chmod instruction also DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Download_mirrors#v0.8.8_unified_Zip_archive]here, I suppose that "drag-here" means "path-of-your-oa-install"? I mean, can I write something like
You have to use chmod command to set "+x" attribute to the openarena.ub file, e.g.: chmod +x /path-of-your-oa-installation-folder/OpenArena\ 0.8.8\ r28.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub
as a guide?
Or does that "drag here" mean that drag-and-drop can be used to achieve some kind of shortut in this case?  Huh
I can guess those "\" before spaces are the method Mac OS console (terminal? command line?) requires when typing long file names with spaces... it looks less comfortable than Windows prompt's "quotes".

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 08:20:52 AM »

Thank you Jack!

I fear you forgot the hyperlink in the "here" word... however, I suppose it's this file: http://www.jackoverfull.com/tmp/OAMac088r28.zip

Right, thanks!

Considering I'd like to mention the chmod instruction also DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Download_mirrors#v0.8.8_unified_Zip_archive]here, I suppose that "drag-here" means "path-of-your-oa-install"? I mean, can I write something like
You have to use chmod command to set "+x" attribute to the openarena.ub file, e.g.: chmod +x /path-of-your-oa-installation-folder/OpenArena\ 0.8.8\ r28.app/Contents/MacOS/openarena.ub
as a guide?
Or does that "drag here" mean that drag-and-drop can be used to achieve some kind of shortut in this case?  Huh
It's the same actually: the terminal application in OS X writes down automaticallythe path to the file dragged on a findow.It may be worth mentioning, tough, that it also inserts a space at the end (that in this case has to be deleted).

I can guess those "\" before spaces are the method Mac OS console (terminal? command line?) requires when typing long file names with spaces... it looks less comfortable than Windows prompt's "quotes".
Standard UNIX syntax, it's the same on linx. Quotes works as well actually.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:34:43 AM »

So, is DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Download_mirrors&diff=14109&oldid=14024]this edit okay?

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »

Seems fine here…

As long the application included in the .zip full package is named "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app", anyway. Wasn't it just "OpenArena.app"?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 09:57:30 AM »

Seems fine here…

As long the application included in the .zip full package is named "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app", anyway. Wasn't it just "OpenArena.app"?

It looks like that package contains both a "OpenArena.app" folder and a "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app" folder. The first one containing files modified 2008-10-20 (OA 0.8.1, I can guess), and the second one containing files modified 2011-12-25.

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 04:24:59 AM »

I guess that the person who originally did the package included an older version as well by mistake then…
lu2b3l
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 05:03:32 AM »

Thank you very much guys, great that you are Smiley, buaaaa that joy to play again,  thank you very much  Smiley.

A greetz
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 06:08:50 AM »

Glad it worked…I wish I had the time to play again a bit myself…
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 07:32:43 AM »

I guess that the person who originally did the package included an older version as well by mistake then…
I'm not sure, but I can guess the "complete" zip package has been done by simply extracting OA 0.8.1 package + 0.8.5 patch +  0.8.8 patch in the same folder, then zipping again the result.

I suppose that when you compiled Mac 0.8.8 (r28) binaries you published a file containing with the "OpenArena 0.8.8 r28.app" folder, and that package has then been used "as it was", without changing its name pack to simply "OpenArena.app" (hence, not overwriting 0.8.1 Mac binaries, but making separate binaries).
Didn't you notice this before?

jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 07:43:18 AM »

See here: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4474.0

And here for my original release (with mention about both things): http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1933.msg41965#msg41965
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 08:35:10 AM »

And here for my original release (with mention about both things): http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=1933.msg41965#msg41965

I can guess that who placed it in the "official package" forgot what you said in that post (maybe due to the fact that was written when you compiled r27, but later a r28 has been done).
However, I'm not going to blame who did the "official package", or anyone alse... these are things that can happen. Maybe the next time a package with "definitive" stuff could be posted in the SVN commits thread, already with the right names...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »

Just for the record, I was the one who compiled the full 0.8.8 package, and that was a mistake of mine, sorry. -.-

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2013, 05:43:41 AM »

Thanks for making that clear…Perhaps it could be sensible to repackage the release in order to avid future problems?
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2013, 11:41:15 AM »

I don't have any problems with that, (in fact, I can do that in just a few hours) but it's fromhell the one who has the last word.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: