Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Master ban list  (Read 11238 times)
capodecima
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 13, 2013, 05:16:05 AM »

Just currios is possible on open arena ban ppl on master list? There are some ppl like merlomen which could be easy banned from all server. Reason spamming, impersonating, and really bad attitude. Is possible ban this ppl?
I really dont care if someone has bad attitude. But if he come to server like GeM and start spam your bullshits and ppl start leave, i am pissed. And if i am pissed i play bad, is there some choice stop this guy from all server ?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 05:20:30 AM by capodecima » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 05:43:10 PM »

There is no global master ban list.  It also wouldn't be the ideal solution to this problem.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 11:18:01 AM »

I created something like this a few years ago. Some people showed interest at first, especially admins of smaller servers and newer clans, but nobody really made use of it. I also didn't know Linux back then (beyond some apt-getting lol) so I couldn't make scripts that integrated with servers' local banlists. People had to add bans on the system manually, that probably is one of the bigger failure causes.

Also like fromhell says, just banning everyone it's not a great solution. As camping and spamming discussions became more and more flamewars, most people just turned away from it and said "I don't care", and vote f2 whenever kickvotes are issued for heavy camping. That attitude still seems to be around today. And I totally see their point: people should be able to play the way they like. But on the other hand, gameplay shouldn't be ruined for others, and as an admin it's your duty to make the server playable. The question is where you draw the line yourself, so if everyone has different answers to that, is a master banlist a good idea?

088 (or was it 085?) brought some new admin tools that work pretty well, and you can have multiple admins/moderators without having to give someone rcon access. This solves a large part of the problem because more players can temporarily ban offenders or force them to the spectator team (hmm or was that an aftershock feature..). If they are unable to join a server for a few minutes, they'll go do something else.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:21:08 AM by RMF » Logged
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 02:00:09 PM »

In reply to what RMF said, an efficient banlist in OA is difficult, since there is no reliable way to identify players. You could use a whitelist, but that doesn't scale on public servers. So the choices you are left with are automated moderation using tools like B3 (maybe with custom plugins) or human moderation (with a level-based permission system instead of full RCon).

Regarding GeM's server, you should talk to her. If she doesn't share your opinion on kicking/banning Merlo, then you'll have to live with him or hold out for another server. It's that simple.

This space is for rent.
GeM
Nub

Cakes -5

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:39:22 AM »

Regarding MerloMen he is Banned neither myself or Gold want him in our Server for the same reasons stated by capo, also for using my Name with Prostitute/Slut etc on the end, which as nothing to do with the Game.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 12:01:43 AM »

I can't see I can agree with this, because everyone deserves to play on servers. In this case GeM should ban MerloMen, because we all know MerloMen. Those of us who really know the "old" MerloMen, remember how bad he really use to be. He's calmed down since, but there is no excuse to be a menace EVERYWHERE. He even calls votes for the most inappropriate maps. I actually think MerloMen, is much more better now than he was then, he doesn't give me any problems anymore.

Banning him from all servers would be wrong if possible, he still has a right to play this game. He's not OxxyGen bad, and even he should be allowed to play. Eventually people will learn not to be such a problem.

I created something like this a few years ago. Some people showed interest at first, especially admins of smaller servers and newer clans, but nobody really made use of it.

Do you still have this? I'd like to check it out.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 12:08:03 PM »

I can't see I can agree with this, because everyone deserves to play on servers. In this case GeM should ban MerloMen, because we all know MerloMen. Those of us who really know the "old" MerloMen, remember how bad he really use to be. He's calmed down since, but there is no excuse to be a menace EVERYWHERE. He even calls votes for the most inappropriate maps. I actually think MerloMen, is much more better now than he was then, he doesn't give me any problems anymore.

Banning him from all servers would be wrong if possible, he still has a right to play this game. He's not OxxyGen bad, and even he should be allowed to play. Eventually people will learn not to be such a problem.
Isn't there the Singleplayer mode meant for also? If people can't play with or against others; they always have their botting friends.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: