Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: torreng pack v2  (Read 15296 times)
torreng
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: October 13, 2013, 09:35:20 AM »

Hi folks!

So, this is what I've been busy with:

http://atil.torrenglabs.com/torrengPack.pk3
(updated 2/18/2014)

Here we go:

torrengdm2 - The Third Yard:
I wasn't happy with the previous "double longest yard" adaptation. So I omitted that made three islands instead of two, circling with ~120 degrees.
I don't know if it was better to remove lowest level platform fights with making it smaller, but testing was satisfactory. So I left it there.

Redone. Added a third island to a pretty much original copy of q3dm17.

torrengdm3 - The Dark Side:
This is (again) Jedi Academy's kinda official TDM map, Korriban Tombs. Circling around the map was one of the key properties of it in making the decision of converting this to OA.
Placement of weapons and items felt good but, it could use a bit more polishing.

torrengdm4 - Pillars of Despair:
I could solve the bspc problem by adding a huge block of clip upon the pillars. It's available for single player practice.

torrengdm5: TBA

torrengdm6 - Desert Justice:
Same as the old one, but directly halved the size. It is way more comfortable this way.

torrengdm7 - Blue Grief:
Taken the layout from a marketplace down the road. We used to play around and through the building in our childhood, and I thought it can make up a good multiplayer FPS map. I've tried my chance with OA.
Tester buddies tell me that it feels good, though I couldn't get the chance to test it with them.

torrengdm8 - The Blind Hunter:
This tiny map might turn out to be a fun play mod. I really wonder why anyone haven't done it before (or have they? I didn't search for it). See it for yourself.
Multiplayer purposes only. No bots.

torrengdm9 - Slacker's Lair:
Taken the layout from my friend's apartment (who is a total slacker) and spiced it up with a dungeon floor. Again, lack of polish makes it look bad.

torrengdm10: TBA

torrengdm11: TBA

torrengdojo1 - LG Training:
A casual, tiny map, suitable for playing 10min breaks between classes =). Thought that buddies(and myself) could use some LG training.

That's it for now. In general, I didn't work on appropriate polish; getting the maps to the stage of testing was my priority.
Any feedback is welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:39:22 PM by torreng » Logged

DAS!
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:05:33 AM »

Hi, good job.  Cheesy

Personally i like torrengdm7 - Blue Grief, good layout.

In your maps the jumppad effects are missing !!
Here is a possible solution: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4446.msg48601#msg48601

Suggestions:

Torrengdm2 - The Third Yard: More vertical fight will be good. When you fall in the void you can see the caulk texture at the lower part of the central platform.
Torrengdm8 - The Blind Hunter: No weapons ? It's terrible hear the chainsaw in the dark.....XD.....

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 04:39:25 PM »

I've set up a dedicated server with your map pack, because there's still quite a lot of CPU power on the server where I'm hosting OACMP.
Some quick thoughts:
Torrengdm2: I'm more concerned about falling than about fighting. Sidewalks are too narrow, and platforms are too plain. Something more detailed would be nice, and some handrails for sidewalks wouldn't hurt.
Torrengdm3: Nice big map, I like it. The architecture is fine, but it needs more items - armor shards and +5 health everywhere, and few weak weapons in the empty areas.
Torrengdm4: Ugh, so many columns that it's awkward, also I would prefer them to be giant trees not soulless concrete, but that will be some huge artwork. I like that map has no borders, and I would also like if it would have sky - I propose to use akomsky/blacksky from OACMP.
Torrengdm6: that map is okay, but low ceiling and narrow corridors cause me claustrophobia, and it will be awful to play on a phone, because of narrow corridors and sharp corners. Enemy is behind every corner, and there are lot of corners, very much like Quake 1 maps.
Torrengdm7: Now this map is much better, it's big and open, has lot of vertical fighting, and even has a borders at one place so poor noobs like me won't fall to death.
Torrengdm8: Ugh aww serial killer simulator. Too bad it does not allow bots.
Torrengdm9: That color theme with oversaturated marble makes me dizzy, and it's impossible to tell where's the floor and where are the walls in one marble room. Otherwise, good map.
Torrengdojo1: Fun for the first two minutes, then it's tiring and boring.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:24:30 AM »

I have to admit I haven't tried this Torreng Pack 2 yet.
However, Pelya... I noticed that your server descritpion currently mentions Torreng pack V3, and I don't understand the reason...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
torreng
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 12:22:50 AM »

Thanks for the feedback folks!

dm2: I guess I'll have to do something to engage vertical fights, like closing up the platforms. And that mid-caulk fix is on the way.

dm3: To be honest, I didn't test it with 4+ players, so there may be kind of shortage on items. I'll look into that.

dm4: This map took one day to finish, so I didn't work on any further polish (oh, that rhymed well.) But I know I need to.

dm6:
low ceiling and narrow corridors cause me claustrophobia
Yes you're right. I, too, was thinking about widing up that corridor. I don't know why I didn't do it.
And,
sharp corners
too. This one could use a lot curves and round corner-edges. That'll take some time, I guess.

dm8: I thought it wouldn't be fun with bots, since what they would do would be very different from what players are supposed to do (silently walking, listening to the sounds etc.) Throwing in some bots is not something time consuming, but the experience it'd give is not what I thought for it.

dm9: Okay, I'll revise the visuals to have more contrast.

dojo1: Actually, this one designed for max. 3 mins of 1v1 fights, which kinda helps with LG aim. But it's not that way it supposed to be played with 2+ bots.
Maybe it's fun with instagib or allrockets, I didn't look into that.

And lastly:
In your maps the jumppad effects are missing !!
Thanks for pointing out a solution. I'm planning to build my own jumppads if I have spare time. If I don't, I'll try that code.

I'm done with dm10 and dm11 drawings by the way. I'll upload them as soon as I'm finished. dm5 will have to wait.

Thanks again!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:18:50 PM by torreng » Logged

DAS!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »

I've promised to take a look to this pack. The next week I'll have some time to take a look at your pack.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »

OK, I'll be adding new criticism while testing the maps:

dm2: I agree with Akom in that it needs more vertical fighting. Also I've observed that bots tend to fall to their deaths. Did you use common/botdonotenter? If not, it would be a good idea to do so. Also, some lighting would be welcome, right now your level looks pretty washed up. And weapon markers below the weapon themselves would be a good idea too.

dm3: The thematic of the map is pretty good and is well used, but the level seems excessively dark. Players should be visible with r_gamma 1. Perhaps adding some more lights would do well. Also there's a bunch of vertical fighting which makes the level more interesting. Places where it's easy to fall to the lava and die should be easier to spot, so players know where not to go. Grow the borders, add red/orange/yellow lights, whatever. Also, add weapon markers.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 12:10:10 PM »

dm6: The areas here are too narrow. Wide and enlarge them. The outside could use a bit more of vertical fighting, there's too much wasted vertical space.

dm7: Areas where it's easy to fall and die should be marked. I see you've used the blue trim in the dsi texture pack. Use the red one to mark fallable areas. This should prevent players from committing suicide. Also, extend the trim to the whole border, not only to the vertical face. There's also a dead end with no worth item. This area could do well with a powerup, holdable, or a big gun such as the BFG or the Railgun. Remember the Risk vs. Reward concept.

dm8: The concept is pretty good in itself. You could add, in order to make the level more interesting, a second floor accessible by many ways (teleporters, jumppads, stairs), and at least two close-range weapons (the Nailgun and the Shotgun) and some health and armor in secret places.

dm9: Pretty cool concept as well, but again, some corridors are pretty narrow, and the ceilings tend to be lower, so jumping isn't very possible. Enlarge the rooms.

dojo1: Not too much to criticize.

torreng
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 07:22:54 AM »

Hey Neon, many thanks for criticism.

dm3: I didn't know about "ambient" keyword when I was making this one. I'll have a look.

dm6: Inside will be done as you said. But I don't know what I can do with outside. Adding a second floor here would dramatically increase... well... everything. Need to think about it thoroughly.

dm7: I thought 50 + 25 + 2x rocket ammo was a nice reward. But maybe... Hmm... I'm thinking about switching quad with these HP's. Aside from that, I don't think I understood where you mean by "the whole border" and "vertical face".

dm8: You're right about second level. I'll definitely give it a try. And testing shows that HP/armor are also a must. But I don't think I'm going to put any weapons. Maybe in another version, but blind-melee combat is fun.

dm9: Yeah, especially lower floor. I'll fix it.

[EDIT: Forgot to mention. As for dm2, I'm planning to start from scratch]

Progress is overall slow nowadays, but I will come up with something satisfying in the end.

Feedback is always appreciated.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 04:21:48 PM by torreng » Logged

DAS!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 07:54:44 AM »

It's all OK.

About dm6, I'm doing a trimming tutorial (part of the upcoming OA Mapping Manual) which should help you to understand what I was referencing.

torreng
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 01:43:45 PM »

Redone dm2. Updated the pack.pk3
or you can download it from here:

http://atil.torrenglabs.com/torrengdm2.pk3

Let me know what you think.

DAS!
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 02:41:26 PM »

Redone dm2. Updated the pack.pk3
or you can download it from here:

http://atil.torrenglabs.com/torrengdm2.pk3

Let me know what you think.

I hate Longest Yard remakes. Start your own layout instead.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 02:58:01 PM »

Downloaded !

I think you have done a good job, but watchout at the size of the space between floors, if it's too high some BOTs tend to use only jumppad.

Maybe it's too "q3dm17 style", i know it's intentional, but.....  Tongue

Some launchpad push the player too far, try to make the jump shorter.
All bounce pad are without the effect, watch at this topic to solve this issue:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4446.msg48601#msg48601

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 03:50:13 AM »

What about adding some more "trims" to make the map feel more polished?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 10:18:46 PM »

You should check torrengdm6. It can't be selected via menu.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2014, 11:04:38 AM »

Watchout !! In torrengdm6 you can go outside in spectator mode.

Wink

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: