Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_akomctf4  (Read 70108 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: December 14, 2013, 12:49:35 PM »

Hi all.

I've downloaded and played a lot this map for UT3:

Here's the video with preview and gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/v/ksno8iz5iaU

My point is, i want to make an OA version for you people, i'm working on the textures to be more precise as i can at the original one for UT3.

Anyone can help me with textures or model for jumppad ?

Please, tell me.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »

For models, you might do well to learn how to use Blender and export the models into md3. There's plenty of learning material and the interface was made easier for newcomers.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:2.6/Tutorials
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

EDIT: Took a quick look at that video. The map seems pretty cool, especially because there are covered routes from snipers, so placing a Railgun won't be much of a problem. But those corridors might be boring as hell, so an even wider area (perhaps uniting those corridors) might be needed.
If anything, something like CTF-Coret lower central area (at 1:09) may work. And the top could contain a very powerful item as it's an extremely exposed area.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2013, 01:05:16 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 06:01:19 AM »

The original UT3 map is to big for replicate it in Q3 Engine, i have to make it scaled to run properly.
The corridors will be shotere than the originals  Tongue.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 06:37:05 AM »

Well, you did oa_cargo. Tongue Large maps are pretty scarce, so big maps are always welcome.

I do agree about corridors being shorter than the originals, they seem to be too boring.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:47:19 AM »

Well, you did oa_cargo. Tongue Large maps are pretty scarce, so big maps are always welcome.

I do agree about corridors being shorter than the originals, they seem to be too boring.

As you can see from the video of the original map for UT3, the map is large but is also high (better for vertical fight) and the engine may don't manage well this, even with BOTS......
.....i'm merging some textures for use 4 polygons instead of 40, but it's an hard work.....XD...

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 07:49:27 AM »

The original UT3 map is to big for replicate it in Q3 Engine, i have to make it scaled to run properly.
The corridors will be shotere than the originals  Tongue.

Wink

Shorter corridors are nearly never a problem, unless they mess up flow.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:51:50 AM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »

Update.  Tongue

Maybe tomorrow (italian time) i can give you a "first-look" version, just to try the map.
Nevermind for the textures, but only playability for now.

Wink

EDIT: Nevermind, and wait one day  Tongue
(it's an hard work...)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 03:14:54 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2013, 12:58:53 PM »

First Look Version.

Sorry if i'm late  Tongue

In the attachment you can find the first playable version of the CTF map
dedicated at the original maded for UT3.

WARNING !!

- Walkable version only !! Just to see the geometry and the "feeling" of the map.

Knowed bugs:

- there's no items in the map.
- some textures misalignement (but not definitive textures).
- at the moment it's a boring concrete ambient texture, but i hope to find some other better.
- no AAS file, bot go nowhere without items.
- some light need to be fixed.
- jumppad are not working.
- teleporters are not working.

I'm sorry, but i can't do better in two days.

I'm waiting for comments and suggestion, but remember, it's a "tribute map" and have to maintain the original feeling of the map for UT3.

Wink
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 03:07:07 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 09:35:59 PM »

From that screenshot alone (I still have to play your map):

The two lower corridors could be crossed by an intersecting middle path. That way, support for 1FCTF and Harvester might be possible. The middle intersection is also useful in the other CTF modes as well, as you can take another path while escaping with the flag/infiltrating onto the enemy base.

Remember that Room-Corridor-Room is usually a bad idea: http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/gameplay-basics-and-multiplayer-floorplan-introduction (obligatory lecture for multiplayer environment creation)

Remember to add some more cover at the top, also. Bear in mind that Instagib is played a lot in OA.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 05:28:57 AM »

Ran around a bit.
Optimizing this map can be a problem. At least the top level entrances to the bases from the outside must be visblock'd so they don't render a huge amount of tris and slow down the FPS.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 05:58:59 AM »

Ran around a bit.
Optimizing this map can be a problem. At least the top level entrances to the bases from the outside must be visblock'd so they don't render a huge amount of tris and slow down the FPS.

I know, it's impossible to hide polygons for VIS process.
I told you that the map it's huge  Grin Grin

The corridors must remain like the original and i think this map will be for CTF only, if someone want to do it for another gameplay, it's free to do this with the original .map file when it's released.

My only worry is for the textures.... Sad Roll Eyes.... i'll do something.

Wink

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 06:52:21 AM »

You have done really good work so far, you applied your idea pretty well into this map. The distances and sizes of the rooms, corridors and stairs  (of the now accessible down-area) are well chosen, so that a fluid "movement" in the map is possible (corridors are not too long; no places were you get stucked).
Especially the upper platforms of the building need to be tested (by playing) as there seem to be very much platforms up there.
Neon_Knight's makes sense how he told about it, but I think that for now it should be only be an idea you should take in mind. First of all (in my oppinion) you should add teleporters, jumppads and bot-support, so it is a good help to test the gameplay. And then we can look further what should be changed.
I can tell you another idea that came spontaneously in my mind, that you/we can take by side as an idea for now (it may can be useful or maybe totally nonsense, but it costs nothing to bring the idea punched): A hole in the down-area, where you can jump in from the top of one of the two corridors (see both screenshots in attachement). Neon_Knight's idea may is better, but maybe we don't need to none of them because 2 ways to escape in the corridor + 2 on top of corridor is enough... we'll see.

Another thing: Do you think to add something around the blue+red base like in original version? I think the cars and buildings give a nice depth to the map. Instead of cars you could also add flying cars like in Futurama XD ( http://www.razorfine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/futurama-2-d-blacktop.jpg ).

That's all for now. Merry Christmas to all!  Smiley

edit: sry, I haven't recognized you want to leave the map's rooms and paths as the original version or did I understand wrong?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 07:04:35 AM by adriano » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 08:16:53 AM »

Thanks Adriano.

The hole is not a bad idea, maybe it can be inserted in a second time.
First of all i need to focus on texture and items placement.

Merry Christmas to all from me too. Tongue Smiley

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 02:18:39 PM »

UPDATE !!  Grin

Download Link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/og674t6sv6z6ptsruu95

It's still not perfect and there are some issues, but this time you can play with BOTs and play a real CTF game, i've added some geometry and some weapons.

Tell me if you like it.

@Neon_Knight, can you please tell me how improve VIS process for compiling ? I've added some cluster_portal, hint_skip/hint and some botclips.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 04:24:43 PM »

I was working a bit on the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Hint_brushes]Hint Brushes article today, I'm nearly finishing, the only missing thing is where to exactly place the Hint Brushes. But you should start with making every decorative/complex brush as detail brush and adapting your map to the block grid (View -> Show Blocks).

Downloading your map.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »

I was working a bit on the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/User:PumpkinKnight/Sandbox/Hint_brushes]Hint Brushes article today, I'm nearly finishing, the only missing thing is where to exactly place the Hint Brushes. But you should start with making every decorative/complex brush as detail brush and adapting your map to the block grid (View -> Show Blocks).

Downloading your map.

Thank you.
I'm waiting for response Tongue

In another version of the map, I've placed some bot_clip and clusterportal for bot navigation as suggested in tha guide, but now bots won't move or capture the flag and stay, don't know why  Huh

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »

Do you compile using the -meta switch in the BSP stage? And then -forcesidesvisible in BSPC?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 03:12:46 PM »

Do you compile using the -meta switch in the BSP stage? And then -forcesidesvisible in BSPC?

In Q3Radiant 202 there isn't the -meta parameter.
Quote from: Q3Radiant Compile Commands
Bsp_FullVis (light-extra)
Bsp_FullVis
Bsp_FullVis (nocurves)
Bsp_FastVis
Bsp_FullVis (nolight)
Bsp_FastVis (light -extra)
Bsp_FastVis (nolight)
Bsp_FullVis (nowater)
Bsp_Entities
Bsp_Textures
Bsp_NoVis (nolight)
Bsp_Relight_Extra
Bsp_Relight

The AAS file was compiled with -fircesidesvisible. Now i'm trying again but it takes a long time in full-vis.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 03:35:54 PM »

You should start using a compiling front end for your maps, like q3map2build. There are a lot of options which doesn't appear in the compile menues of the editors and which you should know, use and take advantage of.

Likewose, try to get a newer verison of q3map2 and bspc. GTKR 1.6 and NetRadiant comes with such newer versions.

So, the next step of my manual is the "Compiling the map" page...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2013, 02:37:01 AM »

Given a quick look to both versions of the map. Nice!  Smiley

I was thinking about a suggestione Suicizer gave about some other maps... what about introducing a few differences in the left and right sides of the map? Just minor differences in scenery placement may be enough.
I mean, of the two main corridors, maybe one may be "clean" as it is, while the other one may include some coverage (e.g. big boxes) that would force you to slalom. So, the player may choose to use the quicker (but more exposed) way, or the slower (but more covered) way.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2013, 07:15:09 AM »

This map is the last for OACMP Volume2 that have symmetrical layout.
This is a sort of tribute map, and it has to be similar as it can at the original.

In oa_akomctf5 the bases will be different  Tongue

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2013, 08:12:03 AM »

I can guess a tribute (homage) should be similar to the original model, but not exacly identical, to avoid the risk of being considered a plagiarism.  Smiley

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »

I can guess a tribute (homage) should be similar to the original model, but not exacly identical, to avoid the risk of being considered a plagiarism.  Smiley

Infact, the original it's different from mine and viceversa Tongue
My version is scaled and really not finished yet, i've to add the building skybox, windows and i have to find some textures but online i can't grab anything and i can't do it myself, don't know what to do....

Wink

adriano

Cakes 4

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2013, 01:07:31 PM »

I tested again your map and found two bugs:
1.) See shot0003 (first attachment). There is something you build there that shouldn't be. As you can see in screenshot, I can walk on an invisible thing in the air.
2.) When a bot takes the flag, it walks one platform down and then take the the jumppad to get again back to the flag-platform. (see shoot0001) They do this continously, till they accidently miss the jumppad and fall down. In this case they bring the flag to the right base and all works normally again.

The rest seems ok. There has been some ideas that wouldn't respect the original form/paths of the map, but I think it is not really 100% necessary to do changes to the original map, because all in all the map has a logical structure.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 01:20:30 PM by adriano » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »

Thank You Adriano.

Actually i have fixed some issues and the bug you noticed.
But i'm fighting with BOT roaming....  Sad ....damn bots  Angry

Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: