Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ...  (Read 8542 times)
matija123
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« on: December 29, 2013, 05:49:38 AM »

I have a question: Am i able to put q3 map that i mapped on openarena server?

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 05:52:34 AM »

On an OpenArena multiplayer server? Of course. You need to package it accordingly, inside of a .pk3 file.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 05:55:50 AM »

I have a question: Am i able to put q3 map that i mapped on openarena server?

Yes, but textures must be GPL'd, not third part textures or Q3A originals textures have to be placed in that map(s). Use onlt textures converted for OA, download the OA.0.8.8 cleaned install and try the maps you want, in this way you can see what the maps need.
Also watchout at the models, like teleporters or torch (example).

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

matija123
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 05:56:10 AM »

But textures... they will prolly crush on OA..

― Mark Twain
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 06:06:08 AM »

The maps will still work, otherwise a lot of Q3-made maps wouldn't be able to see online action.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
matija123
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 09:38:49 AM »

Thanks neon Smiley

― Mark Twain
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 02:56:55 AM »

Well, using everything under GPL is a strict requirement for we who try to create most "officially-compatible" OA maps as possible. However, if one does a thing for his own, he may even use different licenses (such as CC-BY, just as an example. GPLv2+ is however advisable.). Of course, what's not GPLv2 or Public Domain will never be part of an official OA release. And derivative works of GPL stuff (e.g. a modified version of an existing OA texture) have to follow the original GPL license.

About running Q3 maps in OA, the texture replacement project is far from being completed, so you may experience some textures missing, when running a Q3 map in OA. If you are the mapper, you can modify the map to fix the problem by using only textures that are already available in OA, or by using textures by your own. Otherwise, you may place a third-party "q3a2oa texture compatibility pack" into your server, but that would have the side effect of also replacing a few existing OA textures with different ones.

Some links about Q3 maps compatibility:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#How_can_I_use_maps.2C_models.2C_mods_made_for_Quake_3_Arena.3F
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/FAQ#Maps_designed_for_Quake_3
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Map_compatibility

Another thing: please choose proper names for forum threads. Thread titles such as "?" or "..." are really bad!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: