Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Voyager: Elite Force and OpenArena  (Read 18384 times)
mod_mongerer
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 17, 2014, 07:20:26 AM »

Hi All,

This may be a stupid question  Huh, but I just can't help myself.  I own the pc version of Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force.  I've been trying to find a way to run it on my Android mobile device, and I know that there's a version of OpenArena for Android in the Google Play Store.  Is OpenArena able to somehow support the multi-player maps and models of Voyager: Elite Force?  Thanks for your time and for humoring me!  Wink
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 08:13:43 AM »

Techically, I can guess it should be possible to "port" EF to Android, like other games ported "quake 3 arena" to Android (asking users to manually "sideload" their own PC baseq3 files to the phone)...
That's not the way the OA port from Pelya works (OA is free, so you don't need to own the PC version to play the Android version)... but DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Ports_and_markets]some Q3 ports which also allow to play OA do that to play the complete Q3A game...

Note: I don't know if EF source code has been GPL'd... I don't know if there may be some compatibilty problems with "standard" ioquake3 implementations (e.g. due to possible engine customizations applied by EF developers)...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:18:51 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
mod_mongerer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 08:52:03 AM »

Thanks for your reply.  I don't think the EF source code has been "GPL'd" yet, that's why I was wondering if OpenArena possibly was able to run the EF maps.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:57:30 AM »

Uhm...
Maybe one may try to use it as a "mod" and try what happens.
I don't know how main EF data folder is called... "baseef" maybe? One may try to copy that inside OA installation folder and then select it (from mods menu, or with "/game_restart baseef").

Just a try... but I cannot bet on that.

Just loading third-party (additional) maps designed for EF directly into OA would not give great results, due to the lack of EF textures and EF items... I can guess one needs EF gamecode to get EF items spawn in the map.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:00:42 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:08:21 PM »

It won't work.  EF relies on new rendertypes and other changes.  The best you can do with EF data is load some maps with some missing textures and greatly missing items.

There was a patch for ioq3 called ioSTVEF that handled this, however only holomatch has been worked on.

It's probably possible to reverse the SP portion of the engine by starting with the Jedi Outcast source though...

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
mod_mongerer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 10:32:31 AM »

Hi,

I know it's been five years (yes, unbelievable) since my original post regarding Voyager: Elite Force on Android via Open Arena.  I still can't find anything on the internet regarding this (probably because it doesn't exist).  Though, I must ask, does anyone have ANY ideas (or motivation  Smiley ) on how to get this game working on Android?  I tried loading the game (which I own) PK3 files from OA as a mod.  I can hear the sounds of the main startup screen, believe it or not, but I don't see anything on the screen.  Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:21:34 AM »

I can see there are some "source code" downloads for singleplayer and holomatch, and a developer kit.
https://www.totallyef.net/downloads/
These seem to be thought for creating mods/missions, not a GPL thing.... and without the engine part....

And there is this ioquake3 engine fork which should work with the holomatch: https://github.com/UberGames/ioef

So, at least for the holomatch part, in theory something may be possible (although the result would be more similar to the quake3 ports than OpenArena port, at least license-wise). But I have no idea if Pelya may be interested on it. It's some time I don't see him around here...

Maybe you may try to contact the authors of the various quake 3 engine ports from Play Store, maybe one of them may be interested...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 11:24:05 AM by Gig » Logged

mod_mongerer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 04:24:18 AM »

Thx
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: