Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Game doesn't launch. (OSX 10.9.2 Mavericks)  (Read 7516 times)
SilentA98
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« on: April 09, 2014, 06:00:08 AM »

I apologize, I'm a first timer with this particular game so I'm a bit out of the know.

Anyway, when I downloaded the game last night (the unified 0.8.8 file) I couldn't get it to launch. Now I saw another forum post about this with the same problem (apperantly it's well known), and they solved it, but unfortunately they didn't specify and I'm not sure how they solved it. Reading the installation guide for Mac wasn't overly helpful (for record, I did download the patch and did all that fun stuff) either.

I'm currently re-downloading both (the unified file and the patch) in case it was a bad download or I screwed something up. But would it be possible to get a slightly more detailed "How to" for installing and/or patching the install? I'm not sure what exactly I'm supposed to be dragging over and replacing.

Also, I did attempt to launch with the chmod command in the terminal, both before and after I patched the game. I didn't receive an error, but the game wasn't launching either.
stigmha
Nub

Cakes 0

Bit by bit

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 07:04:16 AM »

• Download and unzip.
  • Open terminal in OSX, navigate to the unzipped directory. E.g.: cd ~/Downloads/openarena-0.8.8/
  • Make the binaries executeable: chmod +x OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/*.ub

You may now launch OpenArena.app, but you won't be able to install by dragging it into your applications folder as it needs the files located in the baseq3 folder which resides in the same dir as  OpenArena.app. This "hack" hard copies the files into the app, run from terminal: cp baseoa/* OpenArena.app/Contents/MacOS/baseoa/. You can now copy OpenArena.app to the Applications folder and run it directly from there. Right click (ctrl+click) it and click "Open" (twice) if you get the unknown developer warning.

UPDATE - automatic patch & install:

I made the following script to simplify the entire process; http://everythingismyfault.com/archive/stigmha_osxfix.command. Download it and place it in the extracted openarena-0.8.8 directory, it won't run out of the box due to security restrictions.

Open terminal, navigate to the unzipped directory (e.g.: cd ~/Downloads/openarena-0.8.8/) and make it executable: chmod +x stigmha_osxfix.command.

Run it from terminal (./stigmha_osxfix.command) or double click it in finder, wait for it to complete, and voilĂ ; OpenArena is automatically patched and installed to your Applications folder. Right click (ctrl+click) it and click "Open" (twice) if you get the unknown developer warning.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 07:41:23 AM by stigmha » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: