Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: **Malikith's Instagib Server News**  (Read 11533 times)
Malikith
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 19, 2007, 02:31:42 PM »

In this thread this is all the info you'll need to know whats going on with the Malikith's Instagib server. Here you'll see news on events, server updates, or whatever else falls into that category. Also beneath the news you'll find more information on the server such as hardware specs, and a FAQ.

Lastly, if you have any suggestions about the server, or any ideas like how I did the 20 second warmup gauntlet event, let me know.

Name: Malikith's Instagib
Server IP: 209.144.27.130:27961

-----------------
03-02-07:

- Replaced cbctf1 with my oadm17ish map in the rotation.

------------------
03-01-07:

Changes:

- Updated latest ioquake3 svn to 1047.

- Made the rail jump less powerful on cbctf1, now its at a useful amount.

- Increased the movement speed by about 1/2 the amount. Now its wicked fast and fun.

- Increased Warmup event by 2 seconds.

------------------
02-21-07: The server started two days ago, this is not the actual day it started.

Changes:

- Updated the ioquake3 server to the latest svn at this current time (1046), this includes security fixes and bug fixes.

- Tweaked the rate and sv_fps settings to give a overall better experence, I believe the pings dropped about 20 in some cases as long as you use the \snaps 40   command.

- Updated the Instaunlagged mod to version 1.1, it was running 1.0 prior to this, there is a 1.2 beta version, but it doesn't seem to work very well with Open Arena. Actually, it doesn't work at all.

- Further tweaked other settings not related to net connectivity but gameplay, made things more authentic as far as instagib servers go.

- Added a 20 second warmup event at the start of each match, you will be equipped only with a gauntlet, and you can go on a gauntlet killing spree for 20 seconds. Pretty fun.

-----------------

FAQ:

Q: Why don't you put custom content on your server?

A: I want people to be able to easily access the server that are new to Open Arena, so they can just jump in and play. If theres demand I will put up more servers, and custom content exclusive servers. But I'd like to stay away from custom levels at the moment since there is a lack of textures and sound replacements in Open Arena at the moment, I don't want to hurt your game experience. However if the map is converted to Open Arena or works flawless otherwise, then its a done deal.

Q: Do you run the server from home? What kind of hardware does it have and what kind of connection?

A: No I do not run the server from home, the server is located in Dallas,TX. It has 2x dual core Opterons with 4 GiB of ram, running 64-Bit CentOS Linux. The connection is approx. 100 mbit. Give or take a little. But thats what it is on paper. And the server box is not completely mine, I share it with a friend. The server runs the ioquake3 x86_64 server and a bunch of other crap.

Q: You know, I like playing instagib when I can rail jump super high, so high that I have no control, will you change the server settings for me?

A: You know, I've been there and done that, I would, but the problem is, others disagree, others feel its cheap, or stupid. So I just leave it at a justified amount, about the regular amount. This keeps the people from turning it into a dispute over what they want, and keeps it in agreeable terms to the majority. If you don't like the settings well, you know.. But if you have a suggestion thats considered fair, or a fix, let me know.

Q: What is Instagib Unlagged?

A: Instagib Unlagged is two things, first off, its instagib. One shot kills, fast paced and high precision. Unlagged is a way of compensating for people with high pings, so they can play normally in a matter of speaking. They will not have to lead their targets, the higher their ping, the bigger the hitboxes are to compensate. This has always been the most popular instagib mod in Quake 3 because of this. It is considered balanced, but a very select few of the hardcores feel this is still unbalanced. Its disputable, but all in all, its pretty fair. I haven't seen anything unusual that would say otherwise.

Q: Do you know of any ways for me to have less lag and/or a better ping on the server?

A: Yeah, since the server runs at sv_fps 40 instead of the default of 20, I recommend you go into your console in game and type \snaps 40 . Make sure you do this on baseoa and instaunlagged since if you just do it on baseoa while not on the mod, the changes will not take effect in instaunlagged due to there being seperate directories and duplicate config files. If that sounded like gibberish what I just said, then I suggest just doing it twice, once when you launch the game, then again when you're on the server. Also the server's max rate at the moment is 12500, I used to have it at 25000, but I noticed some people with lower end DSL and cable connections were getting hit pretty hard, especially euros, even if they had a good connection. So it has been lowered to reduce the bandwidth. The server however has more than enough bandwidth. This only effected a small minority. But the minority are always heard in my book, at least with these types of things.

Q: Can you add player rankings like Beer Garden?

A: Yeah maybe, depends, its not top priority or anything. Its a nice feature though, Beer Garden I might add is a great server.

Q: How long is this server going to be around?

A: As long as possible, but who knows, my friend has been thinking about canceling the server, but doesn't have any plans to do this anytime soon (at least I believe). So keep your fingers crossed.

---------------------
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 03:40:52 PM by Malikith » Logged

Support Open Source Software!

-- Catch me on IRC at the Open Arena channel, its at irc.anynet.org at #openarena --

-- If you need to contact me for whatever reason, my messenger info is all next to my avatar, go ahead and add me up. --

-- Running Fedora Core 6 X86_64 --
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 08:44:29 AM »

Great Server, Great fun! Thanks!
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »

A little off-topic, but since you have access to a nice server maybe you could setup a cron job to build nightly pk3's from svn and run a server with the nighty builds. "Malikith's bleeding edge"
ratix
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 11:09:52 AM »

I really like the unlagged system, it makes the hitboxes huge as xboxes so I can easily hit tw3k
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 11:12:35 AM »

I really like the unlagged system, it makes the hitboxes huge as xboxes so I can easily hit tw3k

Grin
Malikith
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 05:52:37 PM »

A little off-topic, but since you have access to a nice server maybe you could setup a cron job to build nightly pk3's from svn and run a server with the nighty builds. "Malikith's bleeding edge"

Yeah, that'd be interesting for sure. I'll have to look into that one possibly.

-- Catch me on IRC at the Open Arena channel, its at irc.anynet.org at #openarena --

-- If you need to contact me for whatever reason, my messenger info is all next to my avatar, go ahead and add me up. --

Malikith
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2007, 05:48:16 PM »

Made a few updates, check my post on top for details.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: