Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using OA assets in another project  (Read 12509 times)
Orbital-S2D
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 03, 2016, 05:29:56 PM »

Are all of the assets in OA GPL? can they be used in another game project?

I tried to search the forum for information on this but i couldnt find anything that states specifics.

Thanks ccool
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2016, 08:23:02 PM »

I think searching the wikia would probably hold more information on that. I'm not sure though.

Orbital-S2D
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »

Yea i tried... it would help if i know what exactly i should search for. When i search the forums or the wiki for assets its pretty broad.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 01:37:31 AM »

Everything in official OA releases is supposed to be available under GPLv2 license. So, if your project uses GPLv2, it should be fine.

I'm not sure, but probably (everything? I don't know how to be sure) should be as "you can reuse the stuff under GPLv2 or -at your opinion- any later version of the license" (option which is also known as "GPLv2+") meaning that you can use the stuff in any "GPLv2+" project, including GPLv3/GPLv3+ projects.

Furthermore, some of the stuff which have been put in was originally under "public domain"... if it has not be altered, it should still be under "public domain" (and under GPLv2) and hence you can use it in any project you wish, not caring of your project licensing. Unfortunately, I don't know if some kind of trace of which stuff is in public domain has been collected.

I hope someone may help better on this topic.

PS: You can search for assets sources in OA SVN repository: http://openarena.ws/svn/ - http://openarena.ws/svn/source/assets/ and for engine/gamecode sources in OA GIT repository: https://github.com/OpenArena/

PS: Also DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OACMP/Volume_1]OACMP Volume 1 V3[/i] is under GPLv2+ license.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 01:42:41 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Orbital-S2D
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 06:08:52 PM »

Cool.

Aught to make this heer thread a stikay.

Lol I'm sure some one else would like to know. 😎
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 07:20:36 PM »

It's been like this for 10 years.   I don't think it needs to be stickied if the whole premise is clear down to its name.

The only issue is that many of the assets are so unique and familiar (like some characters and some weapons), it'll make anyone scavenging it look like a ripoff artist (to the Free uninitiated) and it's a poor form of game development. Tongue see Jim Sterling's video on "asset flipping" on why this is bad, even if you can legally do it (Jim's video addresses purchasable assets on the Unity store)

maybe it'll be nice as placeholders though, depending on what you're using.  OA did nick a few things from Nexuiz and Freedoom, some regrettably (like Nexuiz's sounds)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 07:29:24 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: