Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Changing number of bots  (Read 11693 times)
lambdacalculus
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 14, 2016, 02:01:54 AM »

I want to have a large number of bots in a single-player deathmatch. I am presently able to add up to 8 total players using the "/addbot ..." console command. Then I get an error message asking to change "sv_maxclients". However, I am not able to change "sv_maxclients".

I tried the following:
1. On console "seta sv_maxclients 16"
2. Manually edited the field in ~/.openarena/oax/q3config.cfg
3. Added a "Cvar_Set("sv_maxclients", "16");" line in SV_Init() function before the "Cvar_Get" of the variable.

From the other forum posts these options should have worked. Not sure what I am missing. Greatly appreciate your help!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 02:35:26 AM »

Excuse me, in which gametype number are you playing?
I ask this because you mentioned "single player deathmatch", which is g_gametype 2, which is a special gametype (see also (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Single_Player_Deathmatch), designed to be used only for the pre-defined matches you find in singleplayer menu without using the "skirmish" button. In that gametype, I don't know what happens if you add or remove bots... in theory you shouldn't do it. If you want to play against how many bots you wish, you should use "skirmish" button (or just load a map using "/map <mapname>" command).

In case you are playing in any other gametype, in theory you should just type /sv_maxclients <n> in console (place a number in the place of <n>) and then load another map (or do /map_restart), and then you should be able to add more bots.
What does it tell to you if you just type /sv_maxclients in console, without arguments?

However, are you using OAX "test mod"? Which version? What's the value of your "/fs_name" cvar?

See also:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Singleplayer
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Singleplayer#Single_Player_Deathmatch
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Singleplayer#Skirmish
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OAX
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Using_Mods

UPDATE: Now that I think about that: when you start matches through Skirmish menu (which is OK), there is a screen where you can choose the bots: from that screen, you can set slots as open/closed/botname.... so I think doing that also influences sv_maxclients.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 10:24:59 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 02:58:52 AM »

You need to set "sv_maxclients 16" (use the console, no reason to use set or seta).
You need to do this before starting a game. A game can be started from the console with "map MAPNAME".

There is a memory limit that prevents you adding too many bots. You can increase it in the source but then it starts being a problem that everything runs in serial.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: