Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nightly builds now with UI3  (Read 21022 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« on: November 19, 2016, 10:03:51 AM »

I have changed the nightly gamecode build a bit so that instead of creating a missionpack version it now creates a build that uses UI3.

It can be found here: https://files.poulsander.com/~poul19/public_files/oa/dev088/gamecode_nightly/

The versions using UI3 is postfixed "_m".

Note that new versions are only generated if the gamecode repository has been updated not the UI3 repository.

It is sorta playable (as playable as UI3 is at the moment).

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »

Wow! This is something I have absolutely to test, next week!!!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 06:55:47 AM »

Just made a quick try with the new UI.
It's cool!
There are many things unfinished yet, but the overall look is nice!

Just a very little thing that I noticed, I write it down before forgetting it.
By entering the first time in Setup -> Controls -> HUD Style option was BLANK. After I set one, it saved it and the next time I entered the menu it showed it. So, it looks like a missing "default" value.
Why I mention now a such small problem when half of the UI is incomplete, you ask? Because that happened at first access only, so I would forget about it in the future!

... and why did it not inherit my player's name from baseoa?  Undecided
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 06:58:44 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
1pixel
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 08:03:38 PM »

I ran it from Linux with supermake_ui3. I placed the UI3 and my config files in ./openarena/oax_m.
The config files are loaded, but the name doesn't show. After changing it and restarting it still isn't saved.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:45:36 PM »

YAY!

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 06:12:44 AM »

Another bit related to the HUD Style: it controls "ui_hudFiles" CVAR, which at the moment defaults to "ui/hud.txt".
Changing it from the GUI makes it change to values like "ui/hud-simple.txt", which probably are empty or almost empty files, because they do not show health/armor or score table. So, at the moment, it looks like changing HUD style from GUI breaks your HUD and you have to use console to restore it (e.g. /reset ui_hudfiles).
Note: a vid_restart is required to see the changes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:04:03 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 11:59:08 AM »

Yes, unfinished UI3 is indeed unfinished.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2016, 12:34:33 PM »

Yes, unfinished UI3 is indeed unfinished.
Weren't you the one who, a few days ago, on Discord, said something like "We are going to place ui3 in oax nightly builds. Maybe we'll finally have some feedback after two years." (I don't remember exact words)?

Which kind of feedback do you want, at the moment?

In the specific case, I was warning other testers about how to have their HUD back in case they touch that option in the GUI...
My intention was not "complaining" that additional HUD layouts aren't ready yet... it's just that at the moment it's easy to get stuck without an HUD at all..
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 04:05:08 AM by Gig » Logged

cheb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 03:50:19 AM »

It would be common courtesy to rename "HUD Style" into "(DO NOT TOUCH!)HUD Style" or "(BROKEN!)HUD Style" until the corresponding control is not broken.

Seriously. You dig a hole in the middle of a road, you put "Wet floor!" board in front of it. Doing otherwise is just rude  grouch

Imma lazy dreamer. I achieved nothing.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 01:02:30 AM »

I noticed that the Controls -> Weapons screen lacks the "grapple".
And maybe the "credits" which roll when you are going to leave the game may roll a little bit slower. I don't know if they roll again after they end... maybe they should.
(Tried 2016-12-11 nightly build)

PS: maybe the option about how to deal with npot textures may already include the ability to use npot textures directly (I know that only works with updated binaries).

PPS: About the brand-new simple animation of the oa logo fading in when you launch the game:
1) After it faded in, my screen "flickers" for a brief moment.
2) Cannot it be skipped?

PPPS: Hud style option has been fixed, now it makes you choose between more or less "working" HUD layouts. Thanks. Smiley Note: you still need to manually do vid_restart to apply the change.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 07:53:33 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 01:40:28 AM »

Can I ask a thing?

I noticed that the code of this commit to make "obituary output" support UI3 fonts, does a check if it is the "missionpack".
For what I understood, currently the UI3 testing buillds do use the "trick" of identifying themselves as missionpack (previously, gamecode nightly builds made a .zip for oax and a .zip for missionpack... now they make a .zip for oax (classic ui) and a .zip for oax_m (ui3)), right?

Does this mean that for the time being a lot of these "#ifdef MISSIONPACK" will need to be added (as parts of the output will be converted for supporting UI3 fonts), and then, when the UI3 will be "mature" enough for being promoted as the main one and you will do the switch over, you will have to do a massive work of searching for all those "missionpack checks", to remove the check where not needed anymore?

I fear I expressed it in an overcomplicated way... I hope you understood anyway...
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 09:52:52 AM by Gig » Logged

1pixel
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2016, 06:49:58 AM »

I noticed that the code of this commit to make "obituary output" support UI3 fonts, does a check if it is the "missionpack".
For what I understood, currently the UI3 testing buillds do use the "trick" of identifying themself as missionpack (previously, gamecode nightly builds made a .zip for oax and a .zip for missionpack... now they make a .zip for oax (classic ui) and a .zip for oax_m (ui3)), right?

Does this mean that for the time being a lot of these "#ifdef MISSIONPACK" will need to be added (as parts of the output will be converted for supporting UI3 fonts), and then, when the UI3 will be "mature" enough for being promoted as the main one and you will do the switch over, you will have to do a massive work of searching for all those "missionpack checks", to remove the check where not needed anymore?

I fear I expressed it in an overcomplicated way... I hope you understood anyway...

Searching and removing `missionpack` commands isn't massive work, it should be fairly simple.
We could remove that lines if the code for oax (baseoa) and oax_m (missionpack) would be the same, but how would that affect the compatibility with older version?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2016, 09:02:04 AM »

I just want to see a finished UI before removing the old one.

Because if the mission pack UI fails. Refactoring the classic one might be a more realistic approach.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 07:41:32 AM »

A question, is there some way to test the "console" version of the UI? As far as I understand, there are some menu files meant for being used with consoles, which show simpler menus with fewer options. Is there a way to try how they would look like?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: