Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena Live  (Read 16675 times)
hauxir
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 27, 2018, 05:37:26 PM »

I've launched a web service similar to what Quake Live used to be that allows you to play OpenArena using only a browser and even start servers!

Check it out:
https://openarena.live
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »

That's nice...  Smiley

Is it possible to access console from it?
A thing I'm wondering, since anyone can very simply act as game server with it, how to deal with sv_maxrate? With a slow upload connection (e.g. ADSL), you risk to run out of bandwidth with very few players...

PS:
I don't know if you read my small notes on Discord, so I copy-paste them here just to be sure.
two small things:
- Maybe in the welcome page of the site you may tell more or less the amount of data the game will download, and where it will be stored (I guess in browser cache, right?)...
- In case one tries to go to https://www.openarena.live/ instead of https://openarena.live/, he receives a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN error. UPDATE: It looks like you already fixed this.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 12:17:29 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
hauxir
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 05:35:47 PM »

That's nice...  Smiley

Is it possible to access console from it?
A thing I'm wondering, since anyone can very simply act as game server with it, how to deal with sv_maxrate? With a slow upload connection (e.g. ADSL), you risk to run out of bandwidth with very few players...

PS:
I don't know if you read my small notes on Discord, so I copy-paste them here just to be sure.
two small things:
- Maybe in the welcome page of the site you may tell more or less the amount of data the game will download, and where it will be stored (I guess in browser cache, right?)...
- In case one tries to go to https://www.openarena.live/ instead of https://openarena.live/, he receives a SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN error. UPDATE: It looks like you already fixed this.

Thank you Smiley

The console works just as within a regular game and there you can configure the rate.
I don't recommend running a public server if you are on a slow connection. I guess in that case i would suggest running a private one for your friends Smiley

It's correct that the game is stored in the browser cache.
I don't find it very important to communicate that to users as the game is not large in size by todays standards(330mb). That's less than most YouTube videos and the game is only downloaded once you join a server, not when you browse the page which is very light in size.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 02:12:27 PM »

It's correct that the game is stored in the browser cache.
It looks like it's downloaded two times if you once use openarena.live and another time www.openarena.live, as the browser considers them two different sites I guess. Maybe a solution could be make one a different kind of redirect towards the other one... So if you go to www.openarena.live you end up on openarena.live (or the opposite, as you prefer).

I don't find it very important to communicate that to users as the game is not large in size by todays standards(330mb).
As you prefer....

The console works just as within a regular game and there you can configure the rate.
The usual key for italian keyboard (\) doesn't work... fortunately Shift+Esc still works! (sometimes requires to be pressed two times, the first one restores mouse control to OS).

So, even if one doesn't login with Discord account and plays as anonymous<random_animal>, he can later use the "name" command to set his own name...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:48:43 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2018, 02:39:57 PM »

To make a try, I started a server, then opened a different browser and checked the server list from there... and my server wasn't listed. Is this expected? Does it require to setup port forwarding on the router?

PS: Can I suggest to add bot_minplayers and g_spskill controls in the create server menu? This "OpenArena Live" thing is really nice, unfortunately it's hard to find players online at the moment...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 02:54:03 PM by Gig » Logged

hauxir
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 08:12:02 AM »

To make a try, I started a server, then opened a different browser and checked the server list from there... and my server wasn't listed. Is this expected? Does it require to setup port forwarding on the router?

PS: Can I suggest to add bot_minplayers and g_spskill controls in the create server menu? This "OpenArena Live" thing is really nice, unfortunately it's hard to find players online at the moment...

No portforwarding is needed. The server might take a bit to appear on the list Smiley.
Good idea with the bots, i'll look into it!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »

No portforwarding is needed. The server might take a bit to appear on the list Smiley.
With another try, this time my server appeared listed on the second browser. But for some reason it was listed as "Capture the flag" while the real gametype was "Team Deatchmatch"...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 01:22:14 AM »

A couple of small ideas:
- What about setting g_delaghitscan to 1 by default?
- What about allowing people to run a "dedicated server"?

hauxir
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 02:56:59 AM »

A couple of small ideas:
- What about setting g_delaghitscan to 1 by default?
- What about allowing people to run a "dedicated server"?

I fixed the game mode thing and added the delag parameter as default!

Also:

Here's a WIP dedicated server i use for my own servers:

https://github.com/hauxir/openarenalive-dedicated

it uses headless chrome to spin up a server
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 12:10:38 PM »

I was thinking about doing it from the create server web interface, a "dedicated" flag in the "create server" window, which would have opened a stripped down version of the game with the console only, like when on Windows you run "openarena.exe +set dedicated 2"...

Note: mine are just ideas, they are not necessarily the best way to go!  punched

PS: Now by Team Deathmatch test server was correctly listed, thanks!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 01:10:53 PM by Gig » Logged

hauxir
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 03:54:51 PM »

I was thinking about doing it from the create server web interface, a "dedicated" flag in the "create server" window, which would have opened a stripped down version of the game with the console only, like when on Windows you run "openarena.exe +set dedicated 2"...

Note: mine are just ideas, they are not necessarily the best way to go!  punched

PS: Now by Team Deathmatch test server was correctly listed, thanks!

You can do that also! just add ?dedicated to the room url Smiley
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2018, 01:19:08 AM »

Very nice to hear! You may add a button for it, or simply write a small help tip about it!  Smiley

Uhm.. maybe I'm doing something wrong:
On the first browser:
- In the "create server" page, I modified the URL to add ?dedicated, reloaded the page and then clicked on "start server".
- The game window becomes fully black, no console text is shown. But commands (e.g. map, quit) do actually work.
- The "Share this URL for others to join:" on the right included the "?dedicated" text. Maybe the interface should truncate it?

On the second browser:
- I noticed that the server was in the list.
- Trying to join it, it stays on "awaiting challenge" forever.
- Pointing to the full url of the server, as previously suggested by the "share this url..." (including "?dedicated"), the game window becomes fully black.

Update: the "awaiting challenge forever" thing happens also in case the server isn't in "dedicated" mode, so I guess it's just that I cannot run a OAL server and a OAL client on the same machine...
So, now I wonder... would it work on different machines behind the same NAT?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:14:13 AM by Gig » Logged

hauxir
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 05:37:16 PM »

Very nice to hear! You may add a button for it, or simply write a small help tip about it!  Smiley

On the first browser:
- In the "create server" page, I modified the URL to add ?dedicated, reloaded the page and then clicked on "start server".
- The game window becomes fully black, no console text is shown. But commands (e.g. map, quit) do actually work.
- The "Share this URL for others to join:" on the right included the "?dedicated" text. Maybe the interface should truncate it?

On the second browser:
- Pointing to the full url of the server, as previously suggested by the "share this url..." (including "?dedicated"), the game window becomes fully black.

Update: the "awaiting challenge forever" thing happens also in case the server isn't in "dedicated" mode, so I guess it's just that I cannot run a OAL server and a OAL client on the same machine...

The ?dedicated flag i mostly made for myself for running the official servers. It's normal the window goes black as the rendering is completely turned off(To Save CPU power on my headless servers).

You need to make sure that the tab is focused as the browser suspends unfocused tabs, making the server halt. Hope that helps.
Also: Which browser you using?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 05:39:54 PM by hauxir » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 12:04:15 AM »

On the first browser:

On the second browser:

The ?dedicated flag i mostly made for myself for running the official servers. It's normal the window goes black as the rendering is completely turned off(To Save CPU power on my headless servers).
So even you cannot read what's going on on console... Maybe an option to do not turn off rendering may be useful...

You need to make sure that the tab is focused as the browser suspends unfocused tabs, making the server halt. Hope that helps.
So, maybe it's just that I cannot keep two different programs focused at the same time... amd when I focus one, the other one stops... But it looked like the "awaiting challenge" count did go forth also with the window unfocused.
I was using Firefox for the server and Chrome for the client. Windows 10.

By the way, how are you managing to keep your four servers active at the same time? Running them on four different virtual machines?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 12:54:12 AM by Gig » Logged

hauxir
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 02:14:17 AM »

On the first browser:

On the second browser:

So even you cannot read what's going on on console... Maybe an option to do not turn off rendering may be useful...

So, maybe it's just that I cannot keep two different programs focused at the same time... amd when I focus one, the other one stops... But it looked like the "awaiting challenge" count did go forth also with the window unfocused.
I was using Firefox for the server and Chrome for the client. Windows 10.

By the way, how are you managing to keep your four servers active at the same time? Running them on four different virtual machines?

The reason i turned off rendering is because it was taking up CPU time since my servers don't have a GPU.
You can see the console output in the Development console of your browser where it is rendered as text.

Yes Precisely, i'm running the servers on virtual machines on vultr, one in amsterdam, one in reykjavik, one in NJ and one in SF Smiley.

Keep in mind that the tab focus/suspending can be disabled which i am doing on my servers.

not sure about your issues with running the server, maybe try running both the server and client in chrome?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 03:44:46 AM by hauxir » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: