Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Im a noob... How do I get all the maps? SVN?  (Read 9110 times)
BlackHawk22
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 17, 2007, 01:58:19 AM »

So I am a noob to modding - not computers mind you - but modding... Should I download the SVN of openarena if I want to get all the extra maps that the current version doesn't have? I am using windows XP BTW.

I tried adding maps to the regular package, but they came up with an error that said it could not find maps/(name of map).bsp even though I had made sure I created a map folder in the openarena directory and put the bsp and the other one in the folder... WTH?
BlackHawk22
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2007, 02:02:48 AM »

Are there mods or patches for openarena I don't know about? WTF is radiant? Where do you guys get your modding software, why are some maps supported by CoD, JK2, etc., and how are you using modded maps??? Im going CRAZY!
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2007, 12:17:17 PM »

Dude slow down you're frickin getting ahead of yourself like crazy. GtkRadiant is the mapping tool to create maps, for mappers, not necessarily programmers of mods. Google it and you'll find it. As for the 'it not picking up the bsp', was it made for Open Arena? You didn't just get some random map from another game and stick it in right? To get other games' maps in Open Arena you have to decompile them, don't ask about that here, google for "Q3Map2 wiki book", and READ.

I think you're confused about the whole modding thing. Typically modding is 'programming', where you make mods. But it also entails other things like making new maps, new models, etc. etc., modding can be though of as modifications, and they regularly are modifications to the code. But think about what YOU want to do, then we can help you better, because you're really confused.

I think what you want to do is make maps, if that's the case, get GtkRadiant, search for the gtkr thread in the forums on setting GtkRadiant 1.5 with Open Arena, and then read GtkRadiant tutorials.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2007, 03:18:51 PM »

As Blanky said, I think you are wanting to do mapping rather than modding. Although mapping comes under modding, modding is usually for actually changing the code(programming) to do something else.

All equally fun in my opinion. Cheesy

Check out www.qeradiant.com for GtkRadiant 1.5 and search the forum on how to setup GtkRadiant to work with OpenArena. After that go and read up on the tutorials on how to make maps.

Heres a link to some basic/advanced mapping techniques you can use. I suggest you look at basic level design first. http://bubba.planetquake.gamespy.com/mapping.html

If you have any troubles getting the map to run in OA or compiling the map just ask. Smiley
BlackHawk22
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2007, 06:40:22 PM »

Thats not my problem... I just want to try getting maps already made by people here to work in OpenArena... Such as czest1tourney which was posted here on the forums... I don't know what to do with it, so I copied it all over in the OpenArena directory, so now I see the logo for the map and can select it when making a server, but when I try to load it, it says "re_loadmap: cannot find file czest1tourney.bsp" so.. wtf... And also - arent I supposed to use .pk3's instead of .bsp's and .aas's?
BlackHawk22
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 06:55:43 PM »

Error: Can't create directory '/home/noxel/svn/openarena/db/transactions/197-1.txn': Permission denied 

I right-clicked on the baseoa file, and used tortoise to import from openarena.ws/svn and it gave me that error... wth...
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 07:17:18 PM »

What the heck, don't right click on a file, right click anywhere inside a folder (NOT IN OPEN ARENA FOLDER, SOMEPLACE ELSE), not directly on a file, then click on SVN Checkout. Then type in the address in the checkout url box. Once it's done downloading, double click on the build paks file and it'll create the pk3's, then replace the ones you already have with the ones it created (I suggest you back up your old ones)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: