Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 Version of Open Arena?  (Read 10899 times)
Lupin
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 26, 2007, 09:21:19 PM »

Im not too familiar with the XNA framework that MS is offering for homebrew developers on their next gen console but I was wondering if any has looked into porting Open Arena to the 360 this way? I mean, Im not even sure what kind if any Live code is included with the XNA language to allow play on Live or maybe there you can just have it run on the normal servers like the PC versions do. Just thought this would be a cool idea.
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:28:13 PM »

Man, I saw this post on that one site of that game fromhellal hates, tripidashit or something. Short answer: Won't happen anytime soon if at all. It probably is possible, but first the whole engine would have to be ported to a .Net/CLI-aware language such as C#. Then porting to using XNA rendering and input and all that instead of OpenGL and DirectX/SDL. It's not just like saying "Well hey XNA is out there and it letz u play gaems on teh xb0x nstuff, we shud port every gaem to it!", there's actually more than that, especially with a monstrous engine like Quake 3.

Not trying to diss you here buddy, out of all the idiots I've seen post this type of thing you by far are the most noble/humble, and for that reason, I don't mind your question. I'm not saying it's impossible, but it's nothing as easy as one two three either.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 09:29:37 PM »

Plus OA is too big for Live anyway (50mb max) and M$ isn't very open-armed to open source projects

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 10:50:17 PM »

Microsoft has "open" source...

iD tried this with the dreamcast version of Q3:A and it didn't work out to well.  If they couldn't pull it off with a console that was worth owning, why should we try it with one that isn't?

Sindwiller
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 08:57:00 AM »

1. 360 sucks
2. 360 is Microsoft (which speaks for itself)
3. 360 doesn't support OpenGL (therefore, no Quake/2/3 ports for it)
4. How about porting Stratagus to the Wii?

Honestly, worst idea ever.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 10:34:37 AM »

I'm going to try getting OpenArena running under the PS3 when I install YellowDog. Smiley

Be interesting if it works. Cheesy
baconfish
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 10:51:17 AM »

1. 360 sucks
2. 360 is Microsoft (which speaks for itself)
3. 360 doesn't support OpenGL (therefore, no Quake/2/3 ports for it)
4. How about porting Stratagus to the Wii?

Honestly, worst idea ever.
You could probably have phrased that better... the only valid argument was number 3. I might have missed it, but did anyone point out that the OA team doesn't really do work on the Quake 3 engine?
Amphetamine
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Cyberpunk

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 12:02:09 PM »

FWIW, Silacon_milk is converting Q3 source to C++ and SDL. Also, Q3 has already been ported to Xbox 1 as Homebrew. I was playing my half-bro the other day with him on one of my modded Xboxes on a 32" TV and me on my PC. Oh, and hasn't XBLA file limit been raised to 250mb now thanks to Capcom's efforts?

Top 5 tunes last week:
FragUPlenty
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2007, 03:25:39 PM »

I still couldnt imagine playing Open Arena on an Xbox 360 because of the lack of keyboard and mouse. I need that because I have never been able to play with those gamepads.

Macintosh - we might not get everything right, but at least we knew the century was going to end.  ~Douglas Adams
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: