Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Map(Development)  (Read 51737 times)
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 02:17:56 PM »

Funny I once thought of Delphino Island as inspiration for a map too.

There are still some overlapping like here:

(only place I could see)

I tried placing a skybox in your map, but I don't think it looks better and draws attention to the edges.

About the edges of the water I have the same problem in one of the maps I'm currently working on.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 04:12:19 PM »

Fixed that small Z-fighting problem with the roof tiles.

I didn't feel it required me to re-compile the map, so I'll just release the latest source file. With all known bug fixes.

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2007, 06:02:49 AM »

After looking at the mountain/cliff and deciding it really spoiled the map. I decided to replace it with something better.

The only way I could figure to make it look more rock like and less square would design a cliff in Blender and port it over. However the size of the model caused problems and ended up looking like a ball of planes when exported.

After some more other ideas I came up with something that actually worked!

And the frame rate is still high!

And finally here the files required to play the map. To run bring down the console and type "map Paradise_oa".

http://www.savefile.com/files/808609

Enjoy!
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 04:56:18 AM »

Fixed a variety of bugs that involved being able to walk through the mountain side.

And added in some details:

Added ledges to the 2nd floor or greater buildings, didn't add them to first floor as most players would get caught by them in intense fights.
Added a statue, and some pillars around the place.

And here's the latest version of it for anyone to try out.
http://www.savefile.com/files/811544
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2007, 02:15:15 PM »

Not much has changed except, I'm trying to reduce the r_speeds,

I know what's causing high r_speeds and its the mountain, when running around the outside facing in, the mountain is drawn even when you cant see it. I've tried using hint brushes but I'm no expert at them, I've managed to reduce the r_speeds in certain areas but the larger areas are still affected.

Help would be appreciated. Smiley

Here's the latest .pk3, with bot improvements to keep the .aas file down.
http://www.savefile.com/files/815223

And here's the source for any one wanting to take a look.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2007, 03:53:53 AM »

Did some r_speed improvements. And I managed to keep an average of approx 6000.

It fluctuates around 3000-8000 & only goes up to 10000 when on the mountain, but thats too be expected as yu can see the whole map.

The Frame rate stays at a constant 90fps with 6 bots playing. Only dropping to a minumum of 50fps on the more frantic shooting parts.

http://files-upload.com/349491/Paradise-oa.pk3.html

Theres a 20 second waiting limit. Before you can download the file. I would have used savefile.com but it was acting up.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »

Heres the latest source for those that want to modify it.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2007, 04:06:42 PM »

Been trying to figure out ways to reduce the r_speeds, & improve the framerate to a constant.

So I decided to block of the mountain restricting the user to only the roof tops which keeps the r_speeds variably lower, and not as constantly heavy hitting as just going onto the mountain.

I've improved the framerate & it stays at a constant 90fps(I've set the maxfps to 85).

It's probably possible to improve the hint brushes but its the best I can do. Smiley

You'll need to rename the .zip to .pk3 to run with OA. Requires 0.7.0.
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2007, 05:06:53 PM »

After much thinking...

I finally managed to get a steady and respectable r_speeds & the frame rate never dropped from 90fps for me. Smiley

Had to completely Hint the entire map, but it gave best results, and I managed to reduce the compiling time dramatically. Cheesy

C&C welcomed. Smiley

Will need to rename it from Paradise_oa.zip to Paradise_oa.pk3
Type /devmap Paradise_oa in console to test map.
Math.
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2007, 04:33:18 PM »

Hello there,

Before I'll post a message I shall first introduce myself;

I'm Math. from the Netherlands, 25years old. I'm a Desktop Publisher and Web designer and like to do some work for the Ubuntu community.
Linux is the #1 OS for me, and I like the idea of OpenSource. I've played a lot of Q3A, and a few weeks ago I heard about OpenArena, and tried it out. And I really love it, you guys did a great work! I only noticed, and I wont tell which one, but some maps could be better made. Anyway, I was curious to see if I was smart enough to build some map. And in a few days I already made some beginning. Well, i don't know if I have enough patience to finish this map, but I still like to build on it. Smiley Anyway, when I will finish this map and it is worth enough, and you guys like it then you can use this map for OpenArena. On my website you can read my blog about this map. Hope you guys like it so far, and hopefully you guys can understand a bit of dutch, lol Wink
Here's a screenshot of it:

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 04:20:56 PM by Math. » Logged

Open-Design.nl - Open your mind.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2007, 07:41:54 PM »

Hello there,

Before I'll post a message I shall first introduce myself;

I'm Math. from the Netherlands, 25years old. I'm a Desktop Publisher and Web designer and like to do some work for the Ubuntu community.
Linux is the #1 OS for me, and I like the idea of OpenSource. I've played a lot of Q3A, and a few weeks ago I heard about OpenArena, and tried it out. And I really love it, you guys did a great work! I only noticed, and I wont tell which one, but some maps could be better made. Anyway, I was curious to see if I was smart enough to build some map. And in a few days I already made some beginning. Well, i don't know if I have enough patience to finish this map, but I still like to build on it. Smiley Anyway, when I will finish this map and it is worth enough, and you guys like it then you can use this map for OpenArena. On my website you can read my blog about this map. Hope you guys like it so far, and hopefully you guys can understand a bit of dutch, lol Wink
Here's a screenshot of it:
Hello there and welcome to the community. I must say, that map already looks really impressive. I am not saying it only because it's your first attempt and I'm trying to be nice, but it's noticeable how you have designed the map with playability in mind, and that's the main thing. One can tell that you have experience in playing first person shooters by simply looking at this one picture.
You can have a map with all the eye-candy and gloss there is, but if you can't play it, then it's not worth building.
So, really impressive work and hard to understand blog Wink
Hope to see some more development of this map, and as usual: I am up for grabs if you want someone to help you test the maps.
Nice to have you aboard.
[edit: took away the screenshot from the quote, I got double vision]

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

Math.
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2007, 09:42:10 PM »

Thanks! That's realy good to hear. And you've seen it very well, my pursuit on this map is to make it playable, synchronous and perfectly in every detail. Everything has to be right on the grid, using as much as possible caulks(walls you cant see doesn't have to be displayed), and so on... The only issue is to get new idea's... most time I don't know what to make next, that's why this room has already almost finished. I got a bit stuck in there. Tongue Anyway, idea's are welcome of course. And sure, I like to test this map with you(when I've got a bit more in it). I'm running a server with OpenArena at: 77.162.7.132:27960(no, my alpha map is not yet download able Wink)

Sausage
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Ilaa

« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2007, 07:52:55 AM »

Looks nice Math, Very playable. (from what meets the eye, anyway.)

- Sausage
Sausage
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Ilaa

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2007, 05:53:20 PM »

@ Kit89 - Now guess what you gotta do...   Try an make the underground passage, just like it had in the game Wink
I can guess you wont want to though, it's only a suggestion. Smiley

@Math - Nice new screen.

- Sausage
Math.
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2007, 08:22:33 PM »

@Math - Nice new screen.

Thnx, I've build that room yesterday. Smiley

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2007, 01:50:01 AM »

Try an make the underground passage, just like it had in the game

It would certainly help in game play. Smiley Narrow passages. I might try that. Cheesy
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2007, 02:21:56 AM »

Wow, both maps look really great. Smiley Can't wait to try them out with a few bots! Cheesy
Sausage
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

Ilaa

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2007, 04:13:57 AM »

Try an make the underground passage, just like it had in the game

It would certainly help in game play. Smiley Narrow passages. I might try that. Cheesy
YAY, see if you can make the little discs on the floor work...   Could just have a rotating brush, but it would be annoying to attempt to get down there when you're having a little duel with rocket launchers...

- Sausage
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2007, 06:57:57 AM »

Added in a sewage system.

Having some problems tho..

I wanted to be able to use, trigger_push & target_position to be able to get out of the sewage system. But when I do that I cant get down cause I get shot backup. Sad

Is it possible to make a one way jump?

If that not possible how would I be able to make a ladder in OpenArena? Smiley
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2007, 07:20:08 AM »

Is it possible to make a one way jump?

no

If that not possible how would I be able to make a ladder in OpenArena? Smiley

clip brushes (see the ladder in dm4ish for an example)

kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2007, 08:04:02 AM »

clip brushes (see the ladder in dm4ish for an example)

Thanks dmn_clown, never realised quake 3 didn't  have a trigger_ladder...
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2007, 03:23:24 AM »

Update:

Added some Barriers in the middle of the map.
Added a sewage system. Which goes nearly everywhere.
Added ladders to get out of sewage system.
Redone the Bot Clipping to try and reduce the .aas

And a variety of other small changes which I have forgotten about. Smiley

Heres Paradise_oa.pk3 if you want to try it out. This version does work with bots. Smiley

http://www.savefile.com/files/1028366

Enjoy! Smiley
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2007, 07:24:31 AM »

Update:

Added Armour shards in the sewage system.
Added more weapons around the map.
Added a quad damage to the top of the tower.
You can now access Paradise Island from the skirmish window.
Supported gametypes: Death match, Team Death match, Capture The Flag, Tourney.

Problems:

Death match spawn points are used in Capture The Flag.
The Flags are visible in Death match & Team Death match.
Cant figure out why this is happening cause I have the spawn points disabled for CTF and the flags disabled in DM & TDM.

C&C welcomed. Smiley

EDIT: Removed link as that version was wrong. Correct version is in post below.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2007, 07:52:42 AM by kit89 » Logged
kit89

Cakes 6

Shoot him..

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2007, 07:51:30 AM »

Just realised why the Flags went wrong. I added  notteam 1, instead of notfree 1. Sad

Here's the fix to get the flags working appropriately.

http://www.savefile.com/files/1031744

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2007, 07:53:24 AM »

Problems:

Death match spawn points are used in Capture The Flag.
The Flags are visible in Death match & Team Death match.
Cant figure out why this is happening cause I have the spawn points disabled for CTF and the flags disabled in DM & TDM.

The Deathmatch spawn points will always be used if either team_CTF_redplayer, team_CTF_redspawn, team_CTF_blueplayer or team_CTF_bluespawn. Make sure to have plenty of all 4 types. Only if one of the four spawn points is missing spawnpoint is not available it will fallback to a random deatchmatch point.

Make sure to have severeral of each type (4 for each should the ultimate minimum for all types, 8 is better)

You fixed the flags while I typed, so no comment there...

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: