Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: High Quality Map-pack  (Read 131024 times)
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2007, 11:51:42 PM »

Quite an impressive set of maps. It's a shame that my ping is so high on the *rainbow* servers.
The *rainbow* servers are based in Germany and Sweden, that gives most European player a ping about 50, but as for some german players, down to 6. Cross-Atlantic surfing from America to Europe takes longer routes, hence a higher ping. However, a ping of 120-130 is not what I would consider unreasonably high and render the maps unplayable. There are however other servers running the maps, one of them being The Old Farts Arena which located closer to you, it does however run the Excessive+ modification. There are other players who are experiencing high pings when playing on European servers but that is unfortunately the way things work...
If it gets unbearable there are some of the maps that works with bots on localhost, it's not the same thing as on-line play but it gives less lag Wink

Don't get me wrong: *rainbow* is still very much playable with 130 ping, it's just that I can enjoy myself more playing older maps on servers where I'm guaranteed a ping that doesn't cause a noticeable lag. As you said, it's a shame that it's the way things work, but it's not the end of the world. Either way, I still can enjoy the other maps on servers that place me around 50 ping. I'll be sure to drop by *rainbow* once in a while, though--I'll be sure to bring Steger. ;p
You are welcome in whenever you want to have the pleasure of shooting away on us people from this side of the pond, we enjoy a good beating every now and then Wink As said previously, the servers are running maps from this map-pack, in addition to the vanilla OA ones, but also hosting some of the new, still in development maps, being built by Open Arena's mappers. Examples of these maps are this one and this one.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

Leopold
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2007, 12:55:10 AM »

I think his reason for this is that most if not all of these maps are Q3A maps. Inside each maps pk3
resides a scripts/mapname.arena where gametype, fraglimit and some other map-specific things
are defined. Among them are the bots that are supposed to be loaded by default.
These bots are called by their name which are different from the oa-bots names.
Most of these maps don't have a license that would allow modifying their .arena files i guess.

The best way out would be a list inside OpenArena that would map Q3A bots to their
OpenArena counterparts (This goes for skins too, look at the CPMA-thread to see why).

Interesting, that would be why when I create a skirmish with these maps it seems the only bot listed is Sarge, the rest have "Bot" slots but no bot selected.

Would be cool if it randomly selected bots instead of using a list of pre-determined bots. Smiley !!!!
Is there a way for me to do that? Also, how do I "make a list inside OpenArena that would map Q3A bots to their OpenArena counterparts," like you wrote in your post?
I have no idea and i lag time to look at the code to submit a patch for this at the moment, so you may have to wait for someone else to
step up and do this.
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2007, 10:45:19 PM »

I have no idea and i lag time to look at the code to submit a patch for this at the moment, so you may have to wait for someone else to
step up and do this.

Fair enough. Smiley I got plenty of time so waiting is a non-issue, just glad someone is considering the idea. Cheesy

Thanks for the reply.
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2007, 02:03:21 AM »

I have no idea and i lag time to look at the code to submit a patch for this at the moment, so you may have to wait for someone else to step up and do this.

The best way out would be a list inside OpenArena that would map Q3A bots to their
OpenArena counterparts (This goes for skins too, look at the CPMA-thread to see why).

Inside of q3_ui/ui_startserver.c, find the function ServerOptions_InitBotNames. Look for the line:

Code:
botInfo = UI_GetBotInfoByName( bot );

Add 4 lines after that call as below (the first line below is the same line above. Don't remove it. Just add the 4 lines below it ):

Code:
if( !botInfo ) {
Com_Printf( "Remapping unknown bot: %s\n", bot );
botInfo = UI_GetBotInfoByNumber( count );
}

you will get a mapping to the OA bots for unknown bots. This is not super elegant and will only return the bot associated with the current bot index, but it will at least populate the bot slots for unknown bot names.  The Com_Printf is not required, but it will put a message in the console so you can see what name it was searching for...

Let me know if this doesn't work and I'll try something else.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 02:26:36 AM by theBeast » Logged
Leopold
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2007, 07:53:42 AM »

I have no idea and i lag time to look at the code to submit a patch for this at the moment, so you may have to wait for someone else to step up and do this.

Inside of q3_ui/ui_startserver.c, find the function ServerOptions_InitBotNames. Look for the line:

Code:

Add 4 lines after that call as below (the first line below is the same line above. Don't remove it. Just add the 4 lines below it ):

Code:
if( !botInfo ) {
Com_Printf( "Remapping unknown bot: %s\n", bot );
botInfo = UI_GetBotInfoByNumber( count );
}

you will get a mapping to the OA bots for unknown bots. This is not super elegant and will only return the bot associated with the current bot index, but it will at least populate the bot slots for unknown bot names.  The Com_Printf is not required, but it will put a message in the console so you can see what name it was searching for...

Let me know if this doesn't work and I'll try something else.

After thinking about it, i took another approach since content and engine should be kept separated.
I made myself a pak-combat.pk3 which includes
1) Model files for id's models, aka models/players/xaero etc. by copying models/players/sarge/* into each (lame but works;), and
do the same for sounds.
2) Create botfiles/bots/*.c files for every id model by copying, aka : copy botfiles/bots/sarge_c.c botfiles/bots/visor_c.c and so on.
3) Create a scripts/<botname>.bot file for every id bot (look at scripts/bots.txt to get the idea how they must look like).
4) Put in a rail jpg by copying gfx/misc/lightning3.jpg to gfx/misc/railcorethin_mono.jpg like mentioned in the CPMA thread.

Now the bots that are coded into the maps load.
As a plus CPMA (the old 1.40 the afore mentioned thread is about and the new version, 1.43)  works out of the box now.

Caveat is that pak-combat.pk3 is large and i don't have that much webspace so i created a smaller version (8.3 mb) with files
for mynx, xaero and visor (This is enough for CPMA).
http://home.foni.net/~schlichting/OpenArena/pak-combat-example.pk3

This is an ugly hack, but one should get the basic idea.
Forgot COPYING, pk3 is updated now.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:26:29 AM by Leopold » Logged
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2007, 12:01:27 PM »

After thinking about it, i took another approach since content and engine should be kept separated.

The patch I suggested doesn't mix content with engine, it merely allows the engine to select bots for maps that otherwise would not have any automatically loaded. An example is the map PADCENTER. It tries to load biker, bitterman, lucy, patriot, mynx, and slash. Since OA doesn't know any of these names, no bots are loaded when the user selects the map from the skirmish menu. The user has to manually add OA bots.  With the suggested patch, grism, kyonshi, major, merman, sergei, and penguin are automatically populated (at least on my machine). IMHO, it seems that users would be happier with the list being populated than having to select each bot manually. I'm pretty new here, so I don't have any data to back up that opinion :-( 

Of course, the best solution is for OA to know all of the bots out there. Your pk3 file will fix that problem for ID bots (thanks!). If there are maps out there that have other bot names, though, they will still show up as empty bot slots. Just a thought...

Caveat is that pak-combat.pk3 is large and i don't have that much webspace so i created a smaller version (8.3 mb) with files for mynx, xaero and visor (This is enough for CPMA).

That's a lot of work. Thanks... If you IM me or catch me on IRC, I can give you an email address to send me the larger file and I will be happy to post it out on one of my web servers.
Leopold
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »

The patch I suggested doesn't mix content with engine, it merely allows the engine to select bots for maps that otherwise would not have any automatically loaded. An example is the map PADCENTER. It tries to load biker, bitterman, lucy, patriot, mynx, and slash. Since OA doesn't know any of these names, no bots are loaded when the user selects the map from the skirmish menu. The user has to manually add OA bots.  With the suggested patch, grism, kyonshi, major, merman, sergei, and penguin are automatically populated (at least on my machine). IMHO, it seems that users would be happier with the list being populated than having to select each bot manually. I'm pretty new here, so I don't have any data to back up that opinion :-( 

Of course, the best solution is for OA to know all of the bots out there. Your pk3 file will fix that problem for ID bots (thanks!). If there are maps out there that have other bot names, though, they will still show up as empty bot slots. Just a thought...

Caveat is that pak-combat.pk3 is large and i don't have that much webspace so i created a smaller version (8.3 mb) with files for mynx, xaero and visor (This is enough for CPMA).

That's a lot of work. Thanks... If you IM me or catch me on IRC, I can give you an email address to send me the larger file and I will be happy to post it out on one of my web servers.

If i find time, i will look a little closer. There should be a way to populate models/player etc. without copying so much data and keep it small.
But it would be cool if you can upload pak-combat-examle.pk3 somewhere, it hits the limits of my webspace and i have no idea how
tolerant my ISP is;)
Though your patch is cleaner it requires recompiling, general acceptance and should be send upstream to the ioquake3 folks.
Some people may use even other engines to run OpenArena like Evolution Q3 who would be left out in the cold.
On the other side, it would save some work;)
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2007, 01:04:53 PM »

But it would be cool if you can upload pak-combat-examle.pk3 somewhere, it hits the limits of my webspace and i have no idea how tolerant my ISP is;)
Though your patch is cleaner it requires recompiling, general acceptance and should be send upstream to the ioquake3 folks.
Some people may use even other engines to run OpenArena like Evolution Q3 who would be left out in the cold.
Up at http://www.froggyssurfshop.com/dl/pak-combat-example.pk3

The patch is not specific to OA, so I will post it upstream. This patch will work for any mod based on the ioquake source. It just tries to map to whatever the known bots are, so names won't get in the way...
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2007, 11:10:34 PM »

IMHO, it seems that users would be happier with the list being populated than having to select each bot manually. I'm pretty new here, so I don't have any data to back up that opinion :-(

I can wholeheartedly agree that -- as a user -- I'd like the list to be populated automatically (randomly?) instead of selecting bots manually. Smiley

In regards to all the posts on this page... I'm kinda confused, there's lots of instructions and links and .pk3s flying around, which should I do or use to utilize the above feature?
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2007, 11:58:12 PM »

IMHO, it seems that users would be happier with the list being populated than having to select each bot manually. I'm pretty new here, so I don't have any data to back up that opinion :-(

I can wholeheartedly agree that -- as a user -- I'd like the list to be populated automatically (randomly?) instead of selecting bots manually. Smiley

In regards to all the posts on this page... I'm kinda confused, there's lots of instructions and links and .pk3s flying around, which should I do or use to utilize the above feature?

The link above will get you the new pk3 file that should make CPMA work 'out of the box'.
Leopold
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 12:47:31 AM »

But it would be cool if you can upload pak-combat-examle.pk3 somewhere, it hits the limits of my webspace and i have no idea how tolerant my ISP is;)
Up at http://www.froggyssurfshop.com/dl/pak-combat-example.pk3

The patch is not specific to OA, so I will post it upstream. This patch will work for any mod based on the ioquake source. It just tries to map to whatever the known bots are, so names won't get in the way...
Thx for uploading, and good luck with the patch!
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 10:54:44 PM »

The link above will get you the new pk3 file that should make CPMA work 'out of the box'.

Well, it definitely does the job, but it populates the deathmatch with all the same model -- the green-suited guy.
Leopold
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2007, 01:19:25 AM »

Well, it definitely does the job, but it populates the deathmatch with all the same model -- the green-suited guy.

I was lazy and only used the sarge model to populate mynx, xaero and visor model directories. Feel free
to stuff other models in there. Plus the scripts/<botname>.bot files i created are using the same model.
If you look at them, you'll see what needs to be changed to load a different model.
Its more a proof of concept then a final version, that's why it's got example in it's name;)
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 02:50:55 PM »

Ok for everybody who doesn't prefer torrent for huge files here another fast way to get the HQ Map-Pack Smiley

<<<FTP Mirror>>>

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2007, 04:30:29 PM »

Ok for everybody who doesn't prefer torrent for huge files here another fast way to get the HQ Map-Pack Smiley

<<<FTP Mirror>>>
Nice that someone is hosting the maps, thanks on everyone's behalf.

Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 06:54:50 AM »

Anyone else get an error when trying to play "The Return of Mythology," MYTHOLOGY?

After I pick the bots it says "HUNK_ALLOC FAILED ON 224"

w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 07:04:44 AM »

Anyone else get an error when trying to play "The Return of Mythology," MYTHOLOGY?
After I pick the bots it says "HUNK_ALLOC FAILED ON 224"
Might be that you need to increase your /com_hunkMegs to 64.
I'm running it fine with 54 though.

Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 11:31:08 PM »

Might be that you need to increase your /com_hunkMegs to 64.
I'm running it fine with 54 though.

It says it is already on 64 and that 64 is the default. Any other values that you suggest?
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2007, 07:53:49 AM »

It says it is already on 64 and that 64 is the default. Any other values that you suggest?

65, 66, 67, 68 ... until it works.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Fitacus
Lesser Nub

Cakes -3

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2007, 07:56:18 AM »

What does this /com_hunkMegs affects?

"The things you own, they end up owning you."
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2007, 04:54:04 AM »

65, 66, 67, 68 ... until it works.

OK, so I got the level to work at com_hunkmegs = 74... Only problem is since then the game occasionally halts then starts... It never did that before, I tried many different values for com_hunkmegs and 74 was the lowest I could get it but it still "halts" at the beginning when a map has just loaded as well as sometimes when I'm moving.

On a different topic, I was looking through some maps on quake3world.com and noticed one called "dantesca" that I wanted to download. But first I looked in the "baseoa" folder and noticed it was already there! But then when I open OpenArena and check through all the levels, there is no "dantesca" to be found. Anyone else getting this, "dantesca" not showing up in the game under skirmish?
It makes me wonder how many other maps are in the pack but not showing up in the list...
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2007, 05:00:18 AM »

to show up in the menu a map has to have an arena script. you might have some maps in your folder that don't have this so they don't show up.

open the console, type   \map   and then hit the tab key. this will give you a list of all the playable maps. you can then type the name of the one you want after the \map command and play it.
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2007, 05:45:09 AM »

to show up in the menu a map has to have an arena script. you might have some maps in your folder that don't have this so they don't show up.

open the console, type   \map   and then hit the tab key. this will give you a list of all the playable maps. you can then type the name of the one you want after the \map command and play it.

Hmm... OK well, I hit "\map" in the console and it only said "Map" "Map Restart" "Mapname = "

But I got dentesca to load by typing "\map dentesca"

...This kinda bums me out though, I am a very GUI-centered person and starting my skirmishes with bots will be even tougher to do now. >_<

[Edit: My memory is bad enough as it is, I doubt I can remember what levels I have to access through console and which I can access through GUI... Can I *add* arena scripts for those levels, or does anyone happen to know which levels don't have arena scripts?] ....SadSad
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 05:47:27 AM by Coconut_Kapow » Logged
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2007, 06:10:24 AM »

no problem Coconut_Kapow,

save the following text to a text file called dentesca.arena, put it in a folder called scripts, zip that folder, rename the zip file to something like dentesca-arena.pk3 and drop it in openarena's baseo folder.

{
map "dentesca"
bots      "beret beret"
fraglimit   10
type "single ffa tourney sp ctf"
}
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #49 on: August 26, 2007, 06:14:32 AM »

also, if you want a picture of the map to appear in the menu, you can take a screenshot, crop it and tidy it up in gimp, save as either dentesca.jpg or dentesca.tga, put it in a folder called levelshots, zip that folder, rename it to something like dentesca-levelshot.pk3 and drop that in baseoa.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: