Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: High Quality Map-pack  (Read 131010 times)
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2007, 07:31:20 AM »

It's really nice to see someone be informative and helpful, keep the good work up Smiley

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

hyp3rfocus
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2007, 07:33:48 AM »

thankyou. Smiley
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2007, 08:08:24 AM »

no problem Coconut_Kapow,

save the following text to a text file called dentesca.arena, put it in a folder called scripts, zip that folder, rename the zip file to something like dentesca-arena.pk3 and drop it in openarena's baseo folder.

{
map "dentesca"
bots      "beret beret"
fraglimit   10
type "single ffa tourney sp ctf"
}

Sounds easy enough... The only thing is, how would I found out what type(s) each map is? I also don't know the amount of players that each map is optimal for... Hmm.
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2007, 08:33:26 AM »

It didn't work. Sad

I made a notepad document and put this in it:
{
map "jaxdm8"
bots "Penguin Dark Major"
fraglimit 30
type "ffa tourney"
}

...then I saved it as "jaxdm8.txt," but then renamed it to "jaxdm8.arena" and made a folder named "scripts" and put the jaxdm8.arena inside of it. Then I zipped it using normal zip compression then renamed it "jaxdm8-arena.pk3" and put it in baseoa. I tried doing it 3 or 4 times and it didn't work each time. Sad Wouldn't show up under FFA (and the readme specifically says it's an FFA map)
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2007, 12:24:48 PM »

I know this might sound dumb to ask, but did you make sure that the scripts folder is in the zip file. In other words, the zip file needs to contain a folder named scripts and that folder needs to contain a file named jaxdm8.arena.

I thought I would ask even though it seems silly...
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2007, 11:33:02 AM »

I know this might sound dumb to ask, but did you make sure that the scripts folder is in the zip file. In other words, the zip file needs to contain a folder named scripts and that folder needs to contain a file named jaxdm8.arena.

I thought I would ask even though it seems silly...

Yup, put the .arena file into a folder named scripts then zipped the scripts folder then renamed the resulting zip as blah-extra.pk3

I've done this with several maps -- I tried it with apocalyptica, jaxdm8, and another one and it didn't work with any. I went to skirmish and didn't see it. Sad

Here was my latest attempt...
{
map "alkdm13"
fraglimit 20
type "ffa"
}
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2007, 11:49:56 AM »

Another question that might seem dumb, but is important to make sure on - I know this one because I was guilty of it myself... :-(   

When you cycle through the maps they are not in alphabetical order. So make sure that you go all the way through the list... When the list first starts, it looks like the maps are alphabetized, but they are not... Again, sorry if you have already done this, but thought I would throw it out as a possibility... 

I've added a a couple of maps the way discussed in this thread and it worked for me.
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2007, 12:13:59 PM »

also, if you want a picture of the map to appear in the menu, you can take a screenshot, crop it and tidy it up in gimp, save as either dentesca.jpg or dentesca.tga, put it in a folder called levelshots, zip that folder, rename it to something like dentesca-levelshot.pk3 and drop that in baseoa.

OK, adding a picture seemed to work fine, but doing the .arena scripts thing didn't. I added a screenshot to the "leafland" CTF level because it didn't have one, works perfect.

Only problem is that it says "SPECTATOR" at the bottom of the screen in my screenshot... Is there a way to take a screenshot without the HUD showing? (I used MS Paint to splice it off, but would rather take clean HUD-less screenshots if possible.)

@TheBeast: Yes, I made sure the map wasn't there, I did that a few times. Smiley If I don't add a picture as well as the .arena script, will it still show up? Maybe I need to add a screenshot or it won't show up in the menu?

[EDIT #1: I'd be more than happy to add screenshots and scripts for all the maps that don't have it, my only problems would be 1) I can't seem to get the .arena file to work, 2) I have no way of knowing which maps are made for which types of gameplay and recommended bot number]

[EDIT #2: Is there a way to get the screenshot I took to override the default screenshot of a level? For example XPac_BT "BlackTown" has a screenshot that is just the words "BlackTown" and I'd rather have an actual picture of the map. So I took a picture of the map, did the same thing, but it doesn't seem to want to override the existing BlackTown screenshot.]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 12:32:17 PM by Coconut_Kapow » Logged
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2007, 01:52:21 PM »

I made a notepad document and put this in it:
{
map "jaxdm8"
fraglimit 30
type "ffa tourney"
}

I took the existing jaxdm8.pk3 file and modified the jaxdm8.arena file inside it to have bots Sergei and Ayumi and the bots show up now. I didn't create a separate jaxdm8-arena.pk3 file. Maybe the problem is related to the fact that there is a jaxdm8.arena file in the jaxdm8.pk3 file so it never looks in the jaxdm8-arena.pk3 file. I don't know enough about this stuff, so I am only throwing guesses out there. But, on my machine, with the modified jaxdm8.pk3 file, the map shows up in skirmish and create server and the bots are mapped to OA bots.
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2007, 02:32:28 PM »

Ok. This is weird... I got jaxdm8 to work, so I thought I would try another map to see if I could duplicate the problem... Well... I downloaded a map called transylvania. And, low and behold, it does the exact same thing that you are experiencing. I can't get it to show up in any of the map lists, but I can play it via /map transylvania... This may take a little looking into... anyone with any other ideas feel free to chime in...
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2007, 02:49:37 PM »

aah, the beast might have a point. if the map already has an arena file, but it's one that doesn't work with openarena then that might be causing the problem. as far as i understand it openarena looks at the pk3 files in alphabetical order. if there are two copies of the same file then it use the one with from the the last pk3 read.

try renaming your pk3 with your new arena file something like z-jaxdm8-arena.pk3 so that the arena file in it takes precedence over the one in jaxdm8.pk3

i hope that works.

beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2007, 09:59:03 PM »

Ok.  After much fiddle-farting around, I solved the problem for transylvania on my machine.

The map came with a transylvania.arena file that was as follows:
{
map      "transylvania"
bots      "gargoyle kyonshi grism major"
longname   "Transylvania"
fraglimit   20
type      "single ffa tourney team sp"
}

As is, this would not load. OA appears to not like the 'single' in the type. So once I removed that, it loads up in the list just fine... Doesn't sound like the same problem that you are having, but maybe will point someone in the right direction. During my testing, I did verify that the arena file that is loaded alphabetically last, will override earlier ones. I left the transylvania.arena in the transylvania.pk3 file and just put the modified arena file in a separate z-test.pk3 and it loaded. Without the z-test.pk3, transylvania would not show up in the list. Anyway...
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2007, 10:05:41 PM »

I took the existing jaxdm8.pk3 file and modified the jaxdm8.arena file inside it to have bots Sergei and Ayumi and the bots show up now. I didn't create a separate jaxdm8-arena.pk3 file. Maybe the problem is related to the fact that there is a jaxdm8.arena file in the jaxdm8.pk3 file so it never looks in the jaxdm8-arena.pk3 file. I don't know enough about this stuff, so I am only throwing guesses out there. But, on my machine, with the modified jaxdm8.pk3 file, the map shows up in skirmish and create server and the bots are mapped to OA bots.

[EDIT: So, you've stated that there's a .arena file in the scripts folder inside the jaxdm8.pk3 ... What this makes me wonder is: Isn't what you guys taught me is that a map needs a .arena file to get the map to show up in the skirmish list? If so, why doesn't jaxdm8 just show up in the list since inside the .pk3 there is already a .arena and already a levelshot?]

What extra modification did you make that allowed it to show up in the skirmish list?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 10:24:16 PM by Coconut_Kapow » Logged
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2007, 10:32:33 PM »

Changing the bot names was the only thing that I did. And that was just to get the bots to show up automatically. Without that change, the map would still show up, there just wouldn't be any bots auto loaded. I even downloaded the mappack from beer-garden which has the jaxdm8.pk3 file in it and tried it unchanged and it shows up in the list. (That's where I got the transylvania map also...)
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2007, 11:06:22 PM »

Changing the bot names was the only thing that I did. And that was just to get the bots to show up automatically. Without that change, the map would still show up, there just wouldn't be any bots auto loaded. I even downloaded the mappack from beer-garden which has the jaxdm8.pk3 file in it and tried it unchanged and it shows up in the list. (That's where I got the transylvania map also...)

Well, that explains it then. There must be something wrong with my OpenArena or my computer. Maps that show up for other people fail to show up for me. (And yes, I've rechecked a dozen times back and forth looking through the map list to make sure if it was there or not.)

I have been randomly opening different .pk3 packs -- the ones that don't show up in skirmishes -- and they all have .arena files within them yet they fail to show up in the skirmishes menu.

For example "apocalyptica" is an ffa + tourney map that does not show up in skirmishes yet it has a .arena file, also "cf" doesn't show up in skirmishes even though there is a .arena file.

Time to reinstall?

[EDIT: So, I deleted my OpenArena directory and re-installed but the maps still won't show up. Thanks for the help hyp3r and TheBeast, but I'm temporarily giving up on this because I'm getting frustrated and confused as-to why everyone else seems to be able to see these maps except for me.]
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 11:19:39 PM by Coconut_Kapow » Logged
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2007, 11:42:31 PM »

Ok..... I found it... It's one of those Doh! things... I got my clue when I started thinking about the mappack.

It has 100 maps in it. And you have others (the default ones and maybe more). The UI will only show 79 maps. (It's supposed to show 64, but I think there's a problem with their math somewhere...)  Therefore, depending on when it loaded the maps, they may not show up in your list.

Try deleting (temporarily) about 15 of the maps that are high in the alphabet (starts with r,s,t,u, etc.) and see if you start seeing other maps that didn't show up before. That's what I found on my machine.

When I had all 100 maps (plus the others), most of the maps in the lower alphabets were missing from the list (not all, but most)... The missing maps seems to go from j-k to a. Somewhere in that area depending on how many maps you have in your baseoa directory.

The reason it worked for me is probably obvious at this point--- I didn't have the mappack in my baseoa directory...

Whew! I hope this solves it for you...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 12:23:57 AM by theBeast » Logged
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #66 on: August 28, 2007, 12:19:04 AM »

I looked through the code and found some interesting things... The code will allow a maximum of 1024 arenas to be loaded. However, when it gets time to display them in the start server menu, the code has a maximum of 64 arenas set. Then, to make matters worse, it appears that there is no check in the code to make sure that more than 64 arenas are not written to the array. (The array has a place for 64 arenas). So, if there are more than 64 arenas that match the game type, there's more than a good chance that memory is going to get written to that probably shouldn't be. That's probably why I am seeing 79 maps displayed instead of 64...

I will put together a patch and post it upstream to the ioquake folks. I'm sure they will be more than happy to fix this one...

So... I think this ends the investigation of your problem... Unless... Arrrrrrrgggg.... No don't tell me it doesn't work...

:-)

[update]
I put the patch upstream to the ioquake folks. Depending on how many maps you had, this could have overwritten quite a bit of memory and could be the cause of all kinds of seemingly random problems. You had to have atleast 65 maps that matched the gametype selected for this problem to show up. So, for a lot of folks, this was never a problem. I'll update again when the patch has been accepted...

I have attached a .diff file for anyone that needs to have this fix pronto...(Of course, you need to recompile...)
[/update]
[update2]
I looked through the code some more and found another place that will overwrite memory if you have more than 64 maps in your base. So, I removed the .diff file until I can get a new one together later today (sorry, real life gets in the way sometimes). If you have more than 64 maps, you should seriously consider removing some until this fix gets implemented.
[/update2]
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 09:01:13 AM by theBeast » Logged
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #67 on: August 28, 2007, 01:56:03 AM »

so it's the huge amount of maps in the map pack causing these problems. i should have known w1zrd was to blame. Wink

great work on spotting this and fixing this. thanks theBeast. Smiley

Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #68 on: August 28, 2007, 04:00:12 AM »

I looked through the code and found some interesting things... blah blah blah...

Great, good work theBeast. Cheesy I am on Windows XP and don't know how to compile, so I will humbly await for the new patch or whatever to come out before I comment further on the situation. Wink I can't wait to try this, finally I can make sense of a problem that made no sense to me! Tongue
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #69 on: August 28, 2007, 09:36:06 AM »

so it's the huge amount of maps in the map pack causing these problems. i should have known w1zrd was to blame. Wink

great work on spotting this and fixing this. thanks theBeast. Smiley
ye, it's my fault Wink
btw, does it also count models/weapons .pk3? (just a side-note).
It is well known problem with the engine not dealing with large amounts of maps, but there are tools to pack them. You can find some useful tools for this on our website, or if you google for map-packers.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #70 on: August 28, 2007, 07:26:26 PM »

ye, it's my fault Wink

:-))

btw, does it also count models/weapons .pk3? (just a side-note).
It is well known problem with the engine not dealing with large amounts of maps, but there are tools to pack them. You can find some useful tools for this on our website, or if you google for map-packers.

if the tools are used to stick the maps inside of pk3 files, it doesn't solve the problem that I was looking at. There is a hard-coded max of 1024 maps. It doesn't matter how many files they are in. (1 or 1024 files, it's all the same). There also appears to be a hard-coded maximum of 1024 files, which normally is not a problem. There's still a problem in the code that I haven't figured out, but I should have a complete fix soon. Maybe late this evening after work...

I'll look into the models/weapons. They are not handled at the same point in the code as the maps.
beast
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2007, 12:32:01 AM »

Ok. I have all of the fixes. For those that are interested, the previous description explains most of what was going on. The other part of the equation that I had to find was that there was a hard-coded limit of 1024 chars for all of the "scripts/mapname" 's. Each map has a similar entry. (With mapname replaced by the actual mapname, of course) So, even after I fixed the array problem, I was still only seeing 79 maps. I increased this value to 2048 (doubling it) so it should cover most people's environment at this point. Understand that if you have 1000 maps, you probably will never be a happy camper.

I'm guessing that the utilities that w1zrd referred to probably cut all the names up into smaller names so that more would fit in the 1024 bytes. Little did they know that this was just causing more memory to be overwritten :-)

I have tested this with 145 maps in my base directory and it parsed all of them... Woohoo!

If anyone wants to try this out and give me feedback, I have attached a zip file with a ui.qvm file in it. Place this file in your baseoa directory and rename it pak8.pk3. When you are through testing, remove this file.

This is compiled from the ioquake source without the OA changes. This is only to get the thing tested. So, don't have a cow when it looks different. Acts a little different, etc. The main thing you want to check out is if all of the maps are showing up. I will build one for OA as soon as I am totally sure that all issues have been addressed. Remember to delete this file as soon as your testing is done...

[update]
W1zrd, I forgot to mention... In my testing I came across an error in the mappack. It is in the arena file for geo2_AD5. The type entry has no closing quote mark... It says    type "ffa
[/update]
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 09:48:58 AM by theBeast » Logged
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2007, 04:23:39 AM »

theBeast, you are a star. Smiley your fix works beautifully, suddenly i've got all the maps from the map pack and every map i've ever played online available under my skirmish menu. Smiley

i didn't pack your qvm into pak0.pk3, instead i simply renamed testqvm.zip to pak8.pk3 and dropped it into baseoa.
pulchr

Cakes 34

« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2007, 04:44:31 AM »

awesome fix!

to contribute to the project i'm working on a ctf-map that'll hopefullt be among all those maps we now can see Wink
hyp3rfocus
« Reply #74 on: August 29, 2007, 05:16:53 AM »

on a related note, i've noticed that if i open the terminal as soon as i start openarena there is a list of entries like this...

Loading Arena file : scripts/dubneoc.arena
Loading Arena file : scripts/blahblah.arena

...which makes sense, but after all the arena files are loaded it says...

173 arenas parsed
3 arenas ignored to make count divisible by 4

...which is a bit worrying. is this actually being done?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: