Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Effects = lag?  (Read 6877 times)
dopelfish
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: November 03, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »

Hi. I have problem with the performance of the game. When somebody uses plasmagun/lighting gun, or there are many rocket flying, the game becomes more laggy (ping is way higher), sometimes I get less fps than usual. Is this normal case or there's something wrong with my computer/oa config? I set the settings to defalut, get the most compatibile drivers to my graphic card (30.72), even used r_picmip 9 - the result is still the same. I'm playing on Celeron 1,7 Ghz, 256 MB Ram (DDR) and GeForce 2 MX 400.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 04:42:25 PM »

Graphics card shouldn't affect the ping at all. I get low pings on my p2 233 with 3dfx Banshee even, and even my '99 laptop with integrated trident gets 80 ping.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 09:57:06 AM »

Hi. I have problem with the performance of the game. When somebody uses plasmagun/lighting gun, or there are many rocket flying, the game becomes more laggy (ping is way higher), sometimes I get less fps than usual. Is this normal case or there's something wrong with my computer/oa config? I set the settings to defalut, get the most compatibile drivers to my graphic card (30.72), even used r_picmip 9 - the result is still the same. I'm playing on Celeron 1,7 Ghz, 256 MB Ram (DDR) and GeForce 2 MX 400.
The reason for the feeling of lag is that your FPS simply drops so it looks like your actual ping is higher. As leileilol said, visuals and ping have nothing in common. Simply changing the r_picmip won't do you much good, rather try to lower your colourbits/textures to 16 instead of 32. Also give it a go with turning off the muzzle flash/dynamic lightning and last, but not least, switch over to vertex lightning and see how that affects.

As for network settings, the lagometer (cg_lagometer 1) should give you an indication if there are network problems also.

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

dopelfish
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 01:35:14 PM »

Thanks for the replies, I also messed around with programs called "RivaTuner" and "GeForce Tweak Utility" and the problem seems to be gone now.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: