Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Grenade Launcher  (Read 9429 times)
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« on: June 07, 2010, 06:37:06 AM »

Ok so there was a thread recently about which weapon is the worse. It got me thinking about the grenade launcher. Noone uses it! It is really hard to get a kill with a grenade and the only time I try or see people try is when they are camping. or out of ammo Wink I think that the launcher should be changed to not bounce but to explode on impact. the damage and aoe are fine but I think that the projectiles should move faster and further then they do now. Even if the distance of the launcher was improved I think that making it explode on impact might not be needed. I hate to say it but what im going for here is to have the grenade launcher work more like grenades is halo or something. physics-wise not damage(cuz grenades in most games are pretty much insta kill Wink) In the end it should be more like a mini rocket launcher with an arc shot instead of a direct one.

Edit: I also think that it should spawn with 20 ammo instead of 10.

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 09:14:40 AM »

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/NOTTODO

This is a list of stuff we won't do and never will:
* Change the gameplay. (This includes the physics, weapons, and anything that's the default gameplay) That's stuff for a mod, not for the original gameplay.

If someone comes with the 0.8.5 physics argument, then the answer is: the option for the old physics is still there.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:38:38 AM »

If someone comes with the 0.8.5 physics argument, then the answer is: the option for the old physics is still there.
Are you talking about Q3 framerate-related physics or something else?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 09:44:23 AM »

http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=3711.0 I seems to me that there IS talk about changing bad weapons. but I'll ask anyway. Why are you against changing it? It could make the weapon more useful instead of a worthless weapon.

sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 09:56:33 AM »

It is the map layout that reduces the effectiveness of the weapon. It is not well suited for open environments where you can just move away from the explosive. There are a few maps where it can be useful like dm4ish and oa_dm5 but generally maps are big and open.

In combat the feature of the grenade is that even if it misses the enemy will still need to stay clear of the explosion and consider his movement for a few seconds.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
HelloKitty!
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 11:52:39 AM »

The weapons won't be changed because people are used to them from playing Quake3 for 10 years. Changing physics and weapons is something for mods, not base oa.

I know that I'm quite a grenade hater, but the weapon is just fine the way it is -- it is just that it is viciously abused by campers and spammers. Just reducing the amount of ammo would get rid of it.

Grenade launcher is a strategic weapon. The best thing to have if you're running away from someone frantically. You can spam a corridor entrance with it and force the opponent to go the other way. You can lob a grenade in someone's face (the best feeling ever). It's really useful if you know how to use it. The weapons are not supposed to be equally valuable anyway -- rocket launcher, lightning and rail will always be the "big 3". Other weapons complete the picture, and you should learn when to use them.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 01:29:59 PM »

I find the grenade launcher to be a very useful weapon.  There are several maps where it can help end a standoff by bouncing the grenade around a corner.  That forces back the enemy, so you can dodge in with a few rockets.  I've also used it to hit somebody on a ledge above me.  It's not my favorite weapon, but certainly isn't useless.  Exploding on contact would ruin its place in the game.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 02:16:12 PM »

Exploding on contact would ruin its place in the game.
And probably would make impossible to do grenade-rocket-jumps and grenade-plasma-climbs! :-)

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Bane

Cakes 5

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 03:32:59 PM »

The Grenade launcher is fine and usually good for getting out campers from hard to reach areas and for when you retreat. Also am I the only one that thinks the grenade launcher looks like a Tommy Gun  Cheesy
Snickersnack

Cakes 1

obnoxious OA fan

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 10:27:48 PM »

I <3 the grenade launcher but I must confess I'm a little spammy with it. It does feel great when it connects on the first shot. Smiley
Thoushaltdie
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 08:53:53 AM »

Ok so clearly im the only that feels it should be changed. and i guess ill just drop it.

@HelloKitty! You are probly right in looking at it as the "big 3" and the other weapons just kinda filling out the game

Marble of Doom
Bigger member

Cakes 4

Caketastic

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »

I love the grenade launcher but it would be cool if you could see grenades rotating in the drum-magazine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: