Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: new map for oa!  (Read 86311 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2010, 03:17:25 PM »

Seven, a suggestion: it is nice to update the link in the first post... but please add a new post to say that you published a new beta of the map, too...

I missed the version 6, and since there have been no new posts in the last days, probably also other guys missed it.

If possible, also saying what's new in each version would be nice...

Update: tried the beta 7. Not bad. I would still add two more powerline pylons outside. One of the small (empty) platforms has been removed (thus, only one side has it!), but its shadow is still on the ground. I fear that some textures may still not meet Fromhell's quality standards (do you remember his post about textures)?

PS: Does someone know why I get a much lower framerate when I enter the tunnel section? I have old hardware, with 32 MB Geforce2MX...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 03:30:23 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
WingedPanther

Cakes 4

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2010, 06:52:22 PM »

Just a heads up: I played this today with a few friends in E+, and had a ton of fun on it.

Programming is a branch of mathematics.
seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2010, 12:16:10 PM »

Just a heads up: I played this today with a few friends in E+, and had a ton of fun on it.
Grin
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2010, 12:20:06 PM »

Seven, I just tried your "tbs" version.
I don't understand why you did the tunnel and big ramps completely black...

And I still experiece strange framerate problems in this map... What programs do you use for editing and compiling it?

PS: Again, please write a new post when you upload a new beta, saying something like "New beta (X) is out! Please download it from the first post. Changes: Y,Z..."...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2010, 01:11:16 PM »

Seven, I just tried your "tbs" version.
I don't understand why you did the tunnel and big ramps completely black...

And I still experiece strange framerate problems in this map... What programs do you use for editing and compiling it?

PS: Again, please write a new post when you upload a new beta, saying something like "New beta (X) is out! Please download it from the first post. Changes: Y,Z..."...

J fix the tbs it's is a new version of tbs(sic!). J have no problem whith fps, J test map on windows XP with radeon 9600 and on Vista with radeon 4200. To compile J use q3map2 whith settings copy from http://rainbow.furver.se/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=1695).
Black ramp - J have a same problem. Solution is easy( (2h latter Cool), delete old map file. it's work. (pk3 file must be overwritten in otherwise game load old textures, even if map has other names, for me it's a surprise)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:42:49 PM by seven » Logged
seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2010, 01:39:41 PM »

New map for oa.
It's a test version only.
Map don't has a bots and work only in CTF mode.
Not tested in linux.
new version avible !!
Some changes. More weapons, items.
It's steel under construction.
v7
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/24579597/tunel7.pk3
v beta
- optimized texture (So far, only one)
- skybox
- fixed clip (near the left tube)
- add shaders
version tbs (tunel beta special - waiting for megatexture in OA)
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/24600714/tbs.pk3
Probably it's end. I waiting for support 4096px size textures, then I'll do a new good look texture and fix normals.

New beta map is ready. Please download it from the first post. Changes:
- skybox
- texture
- UV
- clips
- large terrain map
please delete old tunel pk3 file for fix texture bug
seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2010, 01:53:08 PM »

Seven, a suggestion: it is nice to update the link in the first post... but please add a new post to say that you published a new beta of the map, too...

I missed the version 6, and since there have been no new posts in the last days, probably also other guys missed it.

Update: tried the beta 7. Not bad. I would still add two more powerline pylons outside. One of the small (empty) platforms has been removed (thus, only one side has it!), but its shadow is still on the ground. I fear that some textures may still not meet Fromhell's quality standards (do you remember his post about textures)?

PS: Does someone know why I get a much lower framerate when I enter the tunnel section? I have old hardware, with 32 MB Geforce2MX...

In the future J'll optimize the map and delete unnecessary polygons.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2010, 04:32:43 PM »

What is "fbs"? (You are talking to a person that does not create maps.)
I thought that most people created maps using Q3Radiant or GTK Radiant. And maybe someone uses DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Modelling_a_map]Blender to do this (I don't know if this is advisable or not).
What is fbs?

Maybe someone could add some info/link about it on this page: DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_resources_%26_tutorials]Mapping resources & tutorials...

seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2010, 04:49:21 PM »

What is "fbs"? (You are talking to a person that does not create maps.)
I thought that most people created maps using Q3Radiant or GTK Radiant. And maybe someone uses DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Modelling_a_map]Blender to do this (I don't know if this is advisable or not).
What is fbs?

Maybe someone could add some info/link about it on this page: DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_resources_%26_tutorials]Mapping resources & tutorials...
J use q3map2, gtkradiant, blender.
To make skybox I use blender
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2010, 06:05:40 PM »

Maybe you may add a pair of more items (some more health, for example, or a new kind of weapon) around the upper level and/or on the thin ramps (otherwise, why should one use those ramps instead of using the teleporter or jumping down?). Without exceeding, since the map is small.

Again, I suggest to place something red and blue to distinguish the two bases.

What's the problem with the textures? Can we help you in some way? I don't think that "waiting for megatexture support to fix them" would be an option: I don't have idea if OpenArena will ever support them! And without a good looking, it is unlikely that even a good-gameplay map would be placed in a future official release.

Quote from: Seven
(pk3 file must be overwritten in otherwise game load old textures, even if map has other names, for me it's a surprise)
AFAIK, when the game loads the PK3s, it puts everything together... thus if a pk3 contains a file like \textures\walls\wall1.tga, it may affect any map that searches for \textures\walls\wall1.tga, even if that map is packaged into another pk3. This explains -at least in part- why sometimes you autodownload a map (or other stuff) and something else (like another map, apparently unrelated) starts having problems.
Pk3s are loaded in alphabetical order: a \textures\walls\wall1.tga inside a "PAK1.pk3" file is loaded after, and thus will "override" a  \textures\walls\wall1.tga contained in a "PAK0.pk3" file. If two files contained in two separate Pk3s have the same path/name, the one contained in the alphabetically "highest" pk3 "wins", and potentially may cause problems in things created to work with the other file. And I think that, in case of conflict, "autodownloaded" files tend to override the files under the installation folder, but I'm not sure how this priority works exactly.

In our case, tbs.pk3 comes alphabetically before tunel.pk3, thus it loaded before the other and its contained files with the same name are overridden.

When creating new custom textures or shaders, maybe using imaginative names may be good to try to avoid naming conflicts (I suppose).
Anyway, maybe someone more expert than me could give you better advices.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 04:42:06 AM by Gig » Logged

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2010, 01:15:22 PM »

Gig, what you've write is absolutely correct.

Seven, Sago007 found some interesting compiling options which may helps you to not get a megatexture as well. See http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2837.msg31498#msg31498

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
hkn
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2010, 02:03:32 PM »

The low framerate can be explained by the high polycount in the pipes and that map hasn't any HINT BRUSH splitting the map areas to help the engine in backface culling.

Open the map with devmode and set "r_showtris 1", you can view all the polygons occluded actually being rendered anyway.

The worse part for fix that it's that the map itself, especially the distribution make difficult the task of hinting, so probably the most part of geometry will be rendered no matter what.

ToDo >> / 1. New map, Greyscale / 2. Mapmodels / 3. New weapons  / 4. In-game music
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2010, 04:46:39 AM »

Tried version TBS1... The textures still don't seem too good.
But I'm not the right one to test them: cause of the big performance problems this map gives to me, I have to lower the "texture detail" (not the "geometric detail"), or I get around 1 pfs (except when I see only the border wall)...

Another question: why do the "marks on walls" do not work on this map?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2010, 06:52:43 AM »

Hi Seven... we're waiting for a new beta! :-)

seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »

Hi Seven... we're waiting for a new beta! :-)

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/24796404/tbs2.pk3
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2010, 02:03:55 PM »

I like the new version! Now it seems no more suspended in nothing... a lot better! :-)

Smiley  Smiley  Smiley

Probably someone may suggest some optimizations, I don't know how to do them...
Anyway I list some things to take a look:

- the pk3 seems quite big for a such small map
- some textures seem "too bright"
- the big ramps now are completely white!
- "marks on walls" do not work in this map
- I have the performance problems I talked about before, on it
- It would be nice to have bot support, to do some real tests
- It would be nice to have the location names (to know where your teammates are... like "red base", "blue base", "tunnel", "blue ground", "red ground"... or something similar)
- It would be nice to have support for the additional gametypes (one flag ctf, harvester, overload, domination, double domination)
- It would be nice to have "something" looking red and blue do distinguish the two bases when the flags are out
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:23:45 AM by Gig » Logged

Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2010, 02:00:55 AM »

Nowadays I play with cg_flares and cg_leis on, and I was surprised that the whole terrain emitted light in tbs2.

I even misthought my HUD color because of that.

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »

Right! With "Bloom" activated, the whole map emits light! This may even be nice, for a desertic planet with very high temperatures... but maybe it's too much!  Smiley

seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2010, 03:11:29 PM »

Right! With "Bloom" activated, the whole map emits light! This may even be nice, for a desertic planet with very high temperatures... but maybe it's too much!  Smiley

J have problems
- with bloom effects or flare, j don't know how it disables
- j can't do shader with "marks on walls"
- and how disable shadows on weapons
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 12:24:29 PM by seven » Logged
seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2010, 04:46:12 PM »

Somthing wrong with shader. The difference between full screen and window under Windows
what is wrong?

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 05:25:59 PM by seven » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2010, 04:04:25 AM »

I don't know... I do not have this change while switching from fullscreen to window mode... maybe it's your video card driver? I'm using Windows XP on an old machine with a 32MB video card (GeForce2MX).

OT: I see that you see the big ramp "normally"... on my pc, it looks completely white...

seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2010, 09:01:01 AM »

I don't know... I do not have this change while switching from fullscreen to window mode... maybe it's your video card driver? I'm using Windows XP on an old machine with a 32MB video card (GeForce2MX).

OT: I see that you see the big ramp "normally"... on my pc, it looks completely white...

hmm... i will test it on radeon 880 on another "clean" comp
seven
Half-Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2010, 11:35:11 AM »

it's a shader of big ramp  - (not include in q3map2 and gtk radiant)
textures/lm/droga
{
   qer_editorimage textures/lm/droga.tga
   surfaceparm nolightmap
   {
      map textures/lm/droga.tga
      alphaGen lightingSpecular
   }
   {
      map textures/lm/myx.tga
      tcMod scale 4 4
      alphaGen lightingSpecular
   }
   {
      map textures/lm/droga.tga
      blendfunc gl_dst_color gl_dst_color
   }
   {
      map $lightmap
      blendfunc filter
      rgbGen identity
      tcGen lightmap
   }
}

and map in tga format and alpha channel (it's example all is in pk3 file).
J delete surfaceparm nolightmap, cause J compile map with paramets no vertex light. It was nessesery for early compilations.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2010, 03:48:07 PM »

I'm sorry, I really don't know how to help you... I hope that someone able to map reads these posts...

Maybe you may ask to Cosmo, Neon Knight or Pulchr, if they are able to help you fixing the map...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 03:55:26 PM »

I'm in the mapping department, not in the texturing one. Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: