Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Concepts: UT3's DM-Gateway  (Read 61528 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2013, 11:26:36 AM »

Screenshots look nice. I can't test the map right now, I will do in the next days.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »

Sorry guys, i've missed one texture in this PK3, in the attachment you can find the right one.

It need to be placed in textures\akom_env2
After that you have to delete the grayclouds.JPG file (NOT the TGA !!)

Sorry for this issue Tongue

Wink

P.S.: The "Castle-Arena" part is in First-look version, just to see how it is, but you can tell me whatever you want about it anyway (i mean suggestion or better way to build it) Tongue Tongue

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2013, 12:41:14 AM »

What about an updated .pk3 instead?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2013, 11:44:02 AM »

Ok, i've recompiled and reupped the PK3.

Now it work.

Here is the Download Link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/sucq94l5006f21gn588j
(I know it's the same link than before, but it's updated and the link remain the same, the PK3 is fixed now.)

Updates:

1) Replaced the wrong sky texture.
2) Replaced the teleporters textures that conflict with the other PK3 (OAcmp).

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2013, 01:24:16 PM »

Well, tested.

Overall the map is good. However, there're some things:

In general, the map lacks Z-axis fighting, a.k.a. "vertical combat". All the arenas just look and play the same. But since constructive criticism is accompanied by suggestions, here're my advices:

1) In the green-sky arena, you can turn this place...

...into a sniping spot, by carving this part behind the statue.

If you're worried about camping, bear in mind that the other arenas might hold most of the action, and, anyway, you can always choose to switch the Railgun with one of the Lightning Guns from the Rocky arena. Speaking of which...

2) What about turning the arena into some kind of hub? It's short enough to connect all the other arenas.

In fact, I have an idea for this connection between arenas:

3) The Castle Arena has enough potential for vertical fighting. For example this place:

Here it's possible to rocketjump to the upper levels, but there's not much reason to do so. What about placing a jumppad or a stair and some goodies? Also, it would be a good idea to place a bridge between the following area and a carve in the wall facing it:

4) And, finally, the City! Here're some suggestions for vertical fighting in this area. This place could use a Jumppad:

And this ground floor (and similar) could have a launchpad.

Lastly, in this area, the buildings could contain some catwalks or something else.

Also, in the City and Castle arenas, place more cover stuff, such as statues or lighting lamps. They also help improving visibility, since the walls at the Castle are pretty dark. Remember: players should be visible enough with r_gamma 1.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 01:34:59 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2013, 01:43:09 PM »

Thanks Neon_Knight  Grin

Some ideas for the "Castle-Arena" are good, i'll do something soon.

The "City-Arena" it's thinked for a fast "shoot and run" as the "Monument-Arena", small and fast play.
I've thinked to the "Giant Robot- Arena" to be the biggest, and to the "Castle-Arena" to be more complex, i mean vertical fight, but unfortunately the space is an enemy and the size of the map could be heavy for some computer hardware.

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2013, 12:05:37 PM »

Sorry for double post  Tongue

I'm waiting for jangroothuijse, Pelya and Gig's comments about this new release.
Meanwhile i'm doing some changes following Neon_Knight's suggestions.

@Neon_Knight: To make tha arenas Hub style you mean that i have to place 3 teleporters for every arena ?
@Neon_Knight(2): I have improved the light for every arena, you still see them too dark, do you have toe original video setting or changed settings ? No problem for me to bright up the lights, but first i have to hear others beta-tester response.

I have to change a bit the teleporters geometry, but i want to know what do you (all) think about the effect. Do you like it ? I try to do it as the same of UT3 with the textures of OA and one custom from original.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2013, 12:27:03 PM »

You can also opt for doing just two teleporters in the main arenas (thus cycling between them) and leave three for the hub, at the cost of culling traffic towards the hub.

Its all up to you, really.

The teleporters are perfect as they are, I wouldn't touch them.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 12:30:21 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2013, 12:36:44 PM »

You can also opt for doing just two teleporters in the main arenas (thus cycling between them) and leave three for the hub, at the cost of culling traffic towards the hub.

Its all up to you, really.

The teleporters are perfect as they are, I wouldn't touch them.

But this image suggest a three-way teleportation:

By the way, i can insert 4 teleporter in the "Monument-Arena" to use it as a Hub, and leave two teleporters in the other arenas.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2013, 12:42:58 PM »

Hmmmm, I've suggested the small arena for a Hub as it really looks like it could be one. I can't see the monument arena as a hub, really.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2013, 12:58:05 PM »

Hmmmm, I've suggested the small arena for a Hub as it really looks like it could be one. I can't see the monument arena as a hub, really.

For "Monument-Arena" i mean this:

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »

Personally, I only see some flat rooms filled with pillars which are connected to each other by some teleports.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2013, 11:58:32 AM »

Personally, I only see some flat rooms filled with pillars which are connected to each other by some teleports.

Yes, you're right, I am a total newbie but I'll try to improve.

Maybe in the weekend, i will get to a newer version, not flat and with fewer pillars.

I hope to be forgiven if I make some mistakes, but I ask the opinions and suggestions of all users just to improve myself.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2013, 12:08:23 PM »

It's all OK. I do tend to commit those mistakes once in a while.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 02:58:09 AM »

Tried the map. Not bad, I like also the new "castle" part (patience for the removed part).  Smiley
What more can I say, except the small glitch you see in the screenshot, and that textures on teleporters do not work if I have OACMPvol1Beta3 package?
That maybe also some other worlds may have some raised platforms (I might think to a balcony in the city, but maybe it's mostly the gigant robot part that gives the feel of "something still missing"... I don't know exactly). And maybe a few jump-pads would be welcome (in the castle, at the moment we have to do all that walk just to reach a simple shotgun and some small bonuses... I mean, what about adding a jump-pad to go there more quickly?).

PS: Excuse me Akom... in what would you be a "newbie"?  Huh
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 06:16:27 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 06:04:42 AM »

The shader prolem can be solved by placing the new shaders in a different file.

I agree with Gig that there should be a better bonus for going to the top floor. What about a Rocket Launcher?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2013, 04:27:27 AM »

Tried the map. Not bad, I like also the new "castle" part (patience for the removed part).  Smiley
What more can I say, except the small glitch you see in the screenshot, and that textures on teleporters do not work if I have OACMPvol1Beta3 package?
That maybe also some other worlds may have some raised platforms (I might think to a balcony in the city, but maybe it's mostly the gigant robot part that gives the feel of "something still missing"... I don't know exactly). And maybe a few jump-pads would be welcome (in the castle, at the moment we have to do all that walk just to reach a simple shotgun and some small bonuses... I mean, what about adding a jump-pad to go there more quickly?).

Teleporter's textures work perfectly with the last version, check if you have the right PK3.
The download link is the same because the file is upgraded directly on the server.

PS: Excuse me Akom... in what would you be a "newbie"?  Huh

(sarcasm mode ON) As you can see from Suicizer words, i have made a series of flat arenas filled with pillars and connected by some teleporters, every noob can do it.....than i'm a noob..... Tongue Grin

I'm sorry, i know i'm not the best mapper ever, but i try to do something for this community.

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2013, 04:58:10 AM »

Updates  Cheesy

1) As you can see from the first shoot, the "Castle-Arena" was rebuilded to look better and remind Q2  Grin
2) Modified the building as suggested by Neon_Knight and added a jumppad inside.
3) Added a couple of catwalks. Added also the borders at the top of the building and created the OA logo, hope you like it.
4) Added a sort of "Dungeon" under the "castle" and yes, i've added two more (rocky) pillars
5) Added another teleporter in the "Monument- Arena" but i have to add more teleporters also in the others arenas if i want to go in all from one to another.

Soon i hope to give you a playable version, stay tuned.

Meanwhile, look at the work in progress in Q3Radiant Tongue

Wink
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:44:53 AM by Akom74 » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2013, 06:47:16 AM »

Looks good, I like that catwalk in the city. Sorry, I could not test the previous version, because of real life.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 05:18:11 AM »

Hi everyone  Cheesy

I'm here to give you a playable version of the OA_gateway map.

Download Link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/sucq94l5006f21gn588j

Updates:

1) Work a lot in Castle geometry and in City catwalks.
2) Added some lights.
3) In the "Giant Robot- Arena" i have made some changes, tell me if you like it.
4) Added AAS for play with BOTs. They seems to roam well.
5) Added a jumppad in the garbage container to jump over the catwalks, and BOTs use it !!
6) Fixed dungeon's lights and added a jumppad to escape Tongue

Know issues:

1) Some lights need to be fixed.
2) Some geometry need to be fixed.
3) Sometime (not always) BOTs tend to remain in the same place in the "City-Arena", don't know why  Huh
4) Some places need more items Tongue

Note: This is only a "test-version" and NOT a "final-version". Please, tell me if you find some bug or wathever don't work well.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 07:51:55 AM »

Tried the map. It's much better now, especially the castle part. I like it.  :)

Just a few notes/suggestions:
1) Well, I think you may place a few more weapons, but you aleady said you need some more items.
2) I think also a personal teleporter may fit well a map filled with teleporters.
3) I have not understood why someone should go to the underground room of the castle... probably it's just due to 1).
4) In the giant robot arena, you have to walk enough just to find two shotguns. What about making them spawn alternately with nailguns? Maybe you may want to tweak spawn time, too?
5) See the first screenshot attached. You can jump over there only at 125 Hz. I think you should make it lower (to allow to get there also with different game physics) or higher (to make it not possible to simply jump there). The first one in case you want to allow this "shortcut" to reach the lower level, the second one if you want players to be forced to take the standard paths to go downstairs.
6) See the second screenshot attached. On the right, there is a thin brown border on the floor (partially covered by the medkit icon), that is missing on the left part.
7) See the second screenshot attached. On the opposite side of the room, there is that area that is very difficult to reach (something like a grenade-rocket-jump or a grenade-plasmaclimb is required). Once you go there, there is nothing there. I don't know... maybe you may make that area easier to reach, and place something there... or maybe you may completely make it unreachable, with a playerclip invisible wall. Or just leave it as it is now.
8) Two worlds have similar (grey) skies... maybe you may change one of them.
9) You may use bouncepads with different design or different colors than the old classic OA one (e.g. the one from wrackdm17, or the one from this thread...). Maybe a different pad style for each world may be nice, but it's not strictly necessary.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:00:54 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2013, 01:09:51 AM »

Tried the map. It's much better now, especially the castle part. I like it.  Smiley

Just a few notes/suggestions:
1) Well, I think you may place a few more weapons, but you aleady said you need some more items.
2) I think also a personal teleporter may fit well a map filled with teleporters.
3) I have not understood why someone should go to the underground room of the castle... probably it's just due to 1).
4) In the giant robot arena, you have to walk enough just to find two shotguns. What about making them spawn alternately with nailguns? Maybe you may want to tweak spawn time, too?
5) See the first screenshot attached. You can jump over there only at 125 Hz. I think you should make it lower (to allow to get there also with different game physics) or higher (to make it not possible to simply jump there). The first one in case you want to allow this "shortcut" to reach the lower level, the second one if you want players to be forced to take the standard paths to go downstairs.
6) See the second screenshot attached. On the right, there is a thin brown border on the floor (partially covered by the medkit icon), that is missing on the left part.
7) See the second screenshot attached. On the opposite side of the room, there is that area that is very difficult to reach (something like a grenade-rocket-jump or a grenade-plasmaclimb is required). Once you go there, there is nothing there. I don't know... maybe you may make that area easier to reach, and place something there... or maybe you may completely make it unreachable, with a playerclip invisible wall. Or just leave it as it is now.
Cool Two worlds have similar (grey) skies... maybe you may change one of them.
9) You may use bouncepads with different design or different colors than the old classic OA one (e.g. the one from wrackdm17, or the one from this thread...). Maybe a different pad style for each world may be nice, but it's not strictly necessary.

1) Yes, i have to place more items Tongue
2) Really ??
3) As point (1) Tongue
4) In "Giant Robot-Arena", when you spawn in the game you are near the granadelauncher or the Railgun/Lightningun, also when you teleport in this arena from the others. Maybe i can insert the nailgun at the bottom of the legs, at the third teleporter (also fixed).
5) Maybe i have to make it higher Tongue
6) Fixed.
7) In this case, i make an oblique roof, you will see.
Cool Yes, the red sky don't give me satisfaction and i've placed one that i'm sure it work. I have to make another Tongue
9) Yes, i'm thinking at something more good for the "Castle-Arena" .....stay tuned....

Another suggestion ?

If i've missed something from previous suggestions, please tell me.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2013, 03:54:15 AM »

2) Yes. Of course, this is just an idea, and IMHO.
4) This is what I meant: currently, considering there are better weapons nearby and quicker to get, why should someone go on the shotgun platforms (except for railcamping)?

PS: I think you may extend a little the upper level of the city, connecting the catwalk with another building. For the additional part, there is no need to be as detailed as the current catwalk (all those archs are nice, but may limit movement and are extra polygons to be drawn... so they are not required to be so "concentrated" on all the upper floor).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 06:38:10 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 06:36:27 AM »

You should also consider placing any of the newer weapons (Nailgun, Chaingun, Prox). They would fit the map, seeing as there's plenty of cover places and almost no corridor.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »

You should also consider placing any of the newer weapons (Nailgun, Chaingun, Prox). They would fit the map, seeing as there's plenty of cover places and almost no corridor.

Yes, i'll add the Nailgun and the Chaingun.
Tomorrow i hope to give you (all) a new version.

@Gig: Catwalks added, you will see Tongue

Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: