Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Suicizer  (Read 144616 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: September 05, 2013, 12:33:12 PM »

Hi all you people  Cheesy

I have an idea to build a map dedicated to our member Suicizer, and i need your suggestions about the map theme. The map type and how many players have to play it (8 - 16 - 24) thet stand for little map, medium map and big map Tongue
Maybe a handwrite scheme can help.

@Suicizer: Don't kill me for this, it's just an idea  Grin [and i know you (as a player) can give me a lot of suggestions]

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 03:29:42 PM »

I have an idea to build a map dedicated to our member Suicizer, and i need your suggestions about the map theme. The map type and how many players have to play it (8 - 16 - 24) thet stand for little map, medium map and big map Tongue

@Suicizer: Don't kill me for this, it's just an idea  Grin [and i know you (as a player) can give me a lot of suggestions]

Wink

I guess I should feel honoured?
Well, is OA actually having any (proper) tourney maps?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 03:35:04 PM »

Wink

I guess I should feel honoured?
Well, is OA actually having any (proper) tourney maps?

Do you like that kind of map ? I can do it if you want Cheesy
Just suggest me the theme and how many floor do you want.

Now it's late for me 11.30 pm (italian time) but tomorrow i will read your response and reply Cheesy

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 04:41:18 PM »

If you're going to create a competitive map, you might be interested in checking the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_resources_and_tutorials#Level_Design_Tips_and_Know-Hows]Promode Competitive Map Guide.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 12:41:14 AM »

I don't know if "suicizer" word has got some meaning... however it sounds similar to "suicide", so an idea could be including one place (or more) where the player can die in some fashinating way.  Smiley

Example: do you remember that lava trap from a Q2 dm map (a button closed both entrances of a small corridor, and then the corridor was flooded with lava, killing who was there; player activating the button was able to see the scene trough a glass), that you more or less recreated in spctfmap5 (DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/FlagRaiders]FlagRaiders mod), but making the player fall in lava instead of filling the room with it? According to this page (section 1C), there is a way to create working raising water (or lava/slime).
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:49:53 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 04:36:35 AM »

I don't know if "suicizer" word has got some meaning... however it sounds similar to "suicide", so an idea could be including one place (or more) where the player can die in some fashinating way.  Smiley

Example: do you remember that lava trap from a Q2 dm map (a button closed both entrances of a small corridor, and then the corridor was flooded with lava, killing who was there; player activating the button was able to see the scene trough a glass), that you more or less recreated in spctfmap5 (DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/FlagRaiders]FlagRaiders mod), but making the player fall in lava instead of filling the room with it? According to this page (section 1C), there is a way to create working raising water (or lava/slime).

The name Suicizer is certainly refered from suicider (as my playing style was quite aggresive and risky back in the days).
I wouldn't make another riskfull to die map as there are plenty of those and isn't fitting tournanent style. I'll try to make a sketch soon.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 06:00:18 AM »

I wouldn't make another riskfull to die map as there are plenty of those and isn't fitting tournanent style.
Do you remember Xaero & Q3Tourney6?  Grin

I was not thinking about a space map... but maybe requiring some risk to get a specific, powerful powerup may fit also a tourney map? If you don't want the powerup, you may just avoid the dangerous place...

Of course, the lava idea of the post above may be also used in some other "less competitive" map...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 06:12:33 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 06:07:50 AM »

Competitive gaming dislikes risk areas such as lava, traps... so you have to avoid them.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 07:12:24 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 06:18:30 AM »

PS, just for trivia: theoretically, a flooding room may be used for reaching some places that are normally unreachable... but that become reachable while swimming (e.g. a button opens an hatch on the ceiling, uncovering a megahealth... and at the same time, the room is filled with water, so you can swim up to the ceiling, and get the bonus).

Just an idea, maybe to be used in some not-so-competitive map, maybe in some oacmp volume 2 map.  Smiley

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 09:38:58 AM »

@Gig & Neon_Knight: Thanks, but depend from Suicizer ideas and suggestion.....
....and from the engine possibilities Tongue Cheesy

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »

@Gig & Neon_Knight: Thanks, but depend from Suicizer ideas and suggestion.....
....and from the engine possibilities Tongue Cheesy

Wink

Well, then here we go.
I hope you understand this sketch, took quite long before  I decided to do it on the old fashion way (tried in SolidWorks first; found out it would take too long, tried Sauerbraten afterwards; can't send a screenshot without perspective, then finally start to draw so while I can't).
Every colour is an individual floor (which are different in height and aren't overlapping each other, if that's necessary you could always decide later). Every symbol means a certain entity (as J stands for jumppad).                              
A grey coloured pattern means a solid wall, while ||||| means stairs that lead to another floor.

For the wide and depth measurements; take about the same wide path on floor 2 like courtyard's U-shaped upper floor on each base. It probably should be on the same height as the U-shaped floor as well compared for floor 0.

Feel free to give any suggestions about the layout and entity placement.

About the theme, I would have no idea so far but that comes after the layout anyway.

P.S.
Named it what ever you want, even pinkponyride would do.
If I would really recommend any guide for a tournament map, then try this one.
web.archive.org/web/20080501082032/http://www.promode.org/wiki/index.php/Competitive_Level_Design_Guide
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 03:52:49 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 04:57:05 AM »

Hi, i'll start soon the map and give you a version as soon as i can.

Wink

Edit: i'll name the map OA_Suicizer and place a texture with the Suicizer's write Tongue

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2013, 12:34:57 PM »

Hi at all.

Finally i've finished the "first-look" version, just to see how it is.

This version is just to try the playability and for suggestions about item placement.
Textures are not the same of the final version.

Download the map to test it from the box.com server, or from the attachment (same file):
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/cgopmfhlsh3tmphpciby

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 12:05:38 AM »

Quickly tried. Nice.
I like the way it's open, I think it may work well also in Last Man Standing mode.

Just a curiosity: look at the screenshot attached... from where I am, it is possible to reach that other platform (at the same height of the green health, of course more on the right) by jumping/bumping over the light in the middle (where I am aiming to). That's a really cool shortuct (although sometimes I fail it). Is that intentional or just happened?

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 01:46:17 AM »

Nope not intentional.

I still found a crucial mistake in the layout; the room with the RA only has 1 entrance to the other room. Also got a better placement which I'll soon show.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 04:17:28 AM »

Nope not intentional.
That question was for Akom (I already looked at your drawing, and it did not specify details such as lights)...  Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 09:30:07 AM »

@Gig: it's not intentional  Tongue by the way, i don't know if it is a good thing or not.

I think the map is too small or it's right tiny as is ?

I have to work to the geometry and with textures.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 09:58:21 AM »

@Gig: it's not intentional  Tongue by the way, i don't know if it is a good thing or not.
"Unintentionally cool"... may be a slogan of some advertisement...  Grin

However:
Pro: it's a cool shortcut
Con: I suppose bots would not do it. Some people may not imagine that is possible, and not always I succed with it.

Well, one may modify those lights to make them as standard platforms (from above) where to jump normally... but why? That may be easier, but less cool. I propose to let Suicizer decide what to do with it.

By the way, I have not yet tried it using different DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Game_physics]Game physics settings.

Considering it's meant for 1vs1, maybe its size is already okay. Again, let's let Suicizer decide.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:00:52 AM by Gig » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 01:32:02 PM »

@Gig: it's not intentional  Tongue by the way, i don't know if it is a good thing or not.

I have to work to the geometry and with textures.

Wink

You did a pretty good job, but it seems like you haven't scaled it like the previous layout (as the stairs are still very steep and all platforms very high). Is any radiant not having a scaling option or so? As that adds more room to the map again (stairs equip a lot of space, especially the one near the teledestination). Currently, the GL is practically useless when an opponent is on the upper floors while you're not (which would also be fixed by lowering all platforms).

Add a jumppad from the (current) RA to the (current) RG, so people can actually get away if they need to instead of being force to take the stairs instead. Be sure to make the platform of the RA just as high as the platform of the RG before adding a jumppad.

About the placement; I found out a more spicy once:
Switch the RA with the RG (weapon).
Replace the YA for the RL (weapon).
Replace the health at the YA for a PG (ammo) and SG (ammo).
Put the YA as located in the sketch.
Replace the RL (weapon) for a pair of 25 health.
Replace the RL (ammo) for a 25 health and GL (ammo).
Add an SG as located in the sketch.
Replace the 25 health (at the opposite side of the pillar where the SG is located) for RL (ammo).
Replace the SG (weapon) for a LG (weapon).

Don't worry about light yet, the layout isn't even finished!

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »

Is any radiant not having a scaling option or so?

Thanks for more suggestion, i will work on the map tomorrow (italian time) after work.
I don't know if Q3Radiant have a scle option (Gig, do you know ?) i have resize all the brushes one by one  Rest In PEACE!.

I was thinking......maybe the first (not scaled) version was better ?  Huh Tongue

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 04:13:53 PM »

Is any radiant not having a scaling option or so?

Thanks for more suggestion, i will work on the map tomorrow (italian time) after work.
I don't know if Q3Radiant have a scle option (Gig, do you know ?) i have resize all the brushes one by one  Rest In PEACE!.

I was thinking......maybe the first (not scaled) version was better ?  Huh Tongue

Wink

The not scaled version was better, if it would be 1,5 size smaller (just everything).

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 12:11:11 AM »

I don't know if Q3Radiant have a scle option (Gig, do you know ?) i have resize all the brushes one by one  Rest In PEACE!.
I learned mapping from your tutorial... I'm still relatively new to mapping. However, I have never noticed a "map scale" option, and considering that various "tribute maps" around have the problem of being too large or too small when compared with the original ones, I can guess not many people know a scaling tool. But who knows? UPDATE, see the end of this post.

By the way, maybe I'm missing something: have there been two versions of the map? I found only one....

PS: I tested the "cool light shortcut" (of the only version of the map I have) with 125 Hz, 90 Hz, and Accurate physics, and it works in all three of them.

UPDATE: Hey, it is possible to scale up or down!  Smiley Smiley Smiley I just checked in NetRadiant 1.5 and in GTKRadiant 1.5. Under "Modify" menu, there is the "arbitrary scale" option!! It applies to selected brushes. Just select all the map (i), then choose "arbitrary scale": modify X, Y and Z scale values (from their defaults of 1.0. Maybe using different scales for different axes may bring to badly placed entities.), and click Ok. Your map is magically scaled up or down! I have not tried compiling a map modified this way, however this seems a great feature. I can guess you may do this specific change in NetRadiant or GTKRadiant, and then continue working with your trusted Q3Radiant...

UPDATE2: In Q3Radiant, "Scale..." is under "Selection" menu.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:16:46 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 08:43:44 AM »

By the way, maybe I'm missing something: have there been two versions of the map? I found only one....

I mean the first version i've sent to Suicizer Tongue

There is the same scale tool in Q3Radiant Tongue , i've never used or noticed it.....
By the way, i can not use it because the scaled version is not compatible vith the size of the map that Suicizer want.
I'll do it again and see what appen.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 09:16:13 AM »

I was about updating my post, to tell you that I also found "Scale..." option under "Selection" menu in Q3Radiant... but you found it before.  Smiley

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 03:20:20 PM »

Hi all  Cheesy

After some experiment with "scale tool"  Rest In PEACE! in Q3Radiant, i've decided to delete all and redo the map.

In the attachment you can find the exact replica of the sketch by Suicizer.

Now i think the sizes are ok  Grin

I've inserted also the original .map file for let you see the player/item placement.

Don't look at the textures, just watch the geometry and playability.

Wink

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: