Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Any other Free Software/libre only gamers here?  (Read 10173 times)
Treverend
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 03, 2014, 06:10:26 AM »

Also, are there any other popular libre shooters? Open Arena has a decent amount. I like Xonotic but no one plays it.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 06:20:05 AM »

OpenArena's mainly inspired from the existence of FreeDoom so there's that.  The relation is both have rather punny double-meaning names and both are replacement data for id's most popular shooters.  Freedoom can be played online in a totally Free way with Odamex.

Some of the motivation to develop OA also came from playing BZFlag online when that was popular, and was the most popular online shooter game from the universe repositories at the time.  I don't know how many players it has today, and certainly had none of the maps in their current gallery when I played  

Fast forward to 2014 there's lots of arena shooter choices with wildly varying licenses and now OA is just seen as saturation-adding "another pointless arena shooter" among them Sad
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 06:37:36 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Treverend
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 06:43:00 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, it's still the one I most enjoy that I've come across so far, and I've been playing on and off for about a year.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 07:54:21 PM »

Red Eclipse is perhaps the only other one with truly free assets (e.g. with Cube or Sauerbraten you are not allowed to use their textures or models in your own projects).

Some of the maps in Red Eclipse look really good, but I am not a fan of how the players or weapons look.  The impulse mechanism is kinda interesting, but overall it is not a game I enjoyed playing.  Not many people in servers either.  Worth trying though.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 04:05:51 AM »

Red Eclipse is perhaps the only other one with truly free assets (e.g. with Cube or Sauerbraten you are not allowed to use their textures or models in your own projects).

Some of the maps in Red Eclipse look really good, but I am not a fan of how the players or weapons look.  The impulse mechanism is kinda interesting, but overall it is not a game I enjoyed playing.  Not many people in servers either.  Worth trying though.

Certain pieces of content on Sauerbraten has a different license than ZLIB. Also Tesseract has a lot of content which is even public domain (like the playermodels).

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Treverend
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 08:37:21 AM »

@andrewj

If you look on the bottom of this wiki page for OpenArena, it says Red Eclipse isn't fully free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenArena

You'll have to drop down the box that says "Open-source video games (see also Linux gaming)."
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 09:02:26 AM »

@andrewj

If you look on the bottom of this wiki page for OpenArena, it says Red Eclipse isn't fully free.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenArena

You'll have to drop down the box that says "Open-source video games (see also Linux gaming)."
Are you referring to this template: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Open-source_video_games ?
Currently, that template lists "Red Eclipse" in the "fully free" area, just next to OpenArena. I don't know if that's right or wrong.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Treverend
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:03:05 AM »

Yeah, my bad, got Red Eclipse mixed up with Alien Arena somehow. I need sleep.. punched
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: