Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server Not Showing on Master - Sometimes!  (Read 9158 times)
levelledout
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 20, 2015, 10:09:36 AM »

Hi I have this problem that is currently driving me insane. I have created an Openarena server on my home network, it's on a headless machine (Raspberry Pi 2) that doesn't have a GUI installed. I have set everything up but I have the problem that sometimes it shows up on the master server and sometimes it doesn't. Worst of all it seems to defy all logic. For instance last night and this morning it was showing up on the master server every time I switched it on / loaded it (for reasonable amounts of time, not just a few seconds), then just now I changed a firewall setting on the Raspberry and it stopped working. So I changed the setting back to how it was was before but it still doesn't show up! This sort of thing keeps happening. I really have no idea what's causing it other than the fact that I've read some stuff about heartbeats, routers and ports (I'm behind a Netgear VMDG485 router) and that sometimes apparently certain routers can change the source port that the server heartbeat is sent out on causing it to then be returned on the wrong port or something like that. But I can't analyse the problem directly with Wireshark as the server is on a headless machine with no GUI and I'm having trouble doing it remotely through SSH.

So I'm a bit stuck, I'm not even sure if it is my router that is the problem (although I have a bad feeling that it might be seeing as the server keeps appearing and disappearing so unpredictably). I've tried all the usual stuff, even gone as far as (temporarily) forwarding ports 20000-30000 to the Raspberry just to test things out and turned the firewall off completely on the Raspberry and router. Any ideas? If it is my router is there anything I can do or would I need to use a different router to fix things?

By the way when it doesn't show up on the master server I can still connect to it by typing in my external IP address under "specify" within the game, so it is available as such, just not being recognised.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 03:20:44 PM »

Did you already read here?
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#Dedicated_server
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#IPs.2C_routers_and_firewalls
Considering your post, I suppose you already did... but I ask anyway to be sure...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
levelledout
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 04:59:03 PM »

Unfortunately yes already been through those infos which led me to the stuff about heartbeats, thanks all the same though. I have now determined for pretty much certain that the ports are being forwarded correctly, checked with netcat, although seeing as I can connect externally anyway, didn't expect that to be a problem. One question I have though, I have the Debian/Raspbian installation of the Openarena Server and I can't seem to find a log file, which I was hoping to use for some clues. I know that apparently I can run the executable and redirect the output with ./ioq3ded > logfile.log but the way the files are organised on the Debian installation this doesn't work. The server is is supposed to be started through an init.d script, not through the executable directly. If one tries running the executable directly, one gets errors about pak0.pk3 can't be found etc. I've tried modifying the init script without success. Anyone know if there is a log file by default on Debian or how to produce one?
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 07:25:21 PM »

For logs check in /var/log -- especially /var/log/daemon.log
levelledout
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 09:21:15 AM »

I think I may have fixed it, I'm not 100% sure but it's now been showing on the master server list consistently for over 12 hours, far longer than I've ever managed before. This is what I did. I couldn't find anything in /var/log/daemon.log or indeed /var/log at all (although there may of course be something hidden in there somewhere). However I managed to produce a log file by running the server with the following command:
Code:
$ openarena-server +exec debian_server.cfg +set dedicated 2 &> logfile.log

...EDIT: I take it all back I wasn't going mad, after 24 hours of it working, the server crashed for some reason and after restarting it it's not showing up in the master server again Angry. Here's part of the log, not sure if there's if there's anything wrong with it. Other than that, think I give up now  Sad

Code:
]Hitch warning: 1266 msec frame time
]Resolving 107.161.23.68:27950 (IPv4)
]107.161.23.68:27950 resolved to 107.161.23.68:27950
]Sending heartbeat to 107.161.23.68:27950
]Resolving 176.9.53.212:27950 (IPv4)
]176.9.53.212:27950 resolved to 176.9.53.212:27950
]Sending heartbeat to 176.9.53.212:27950
]Hitch warning: 589 msec frame time
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 06:07:39 PM by levelledout » Logged
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 07:53:18 PM »

What's odd in the logs is the two different IP addresses it sends heartbeats to.

First one 107.161.23.68 (dpmaster.deathmask.net) is correct

Second one 176.9.53.212 (tjps.eu) -- I don't know what that is or if it is correct or not.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »

Second one 176.9.53.212 (tjps.eu) -- I don't know what that is or if it is correct or not.
That's master.ioquake3.org (as well as master.worldofpadman.net). Might be set as a backup in one of the sv_masterN cvars, e.g. sv_master2.

One question I have though, I have the Debian/Raspbian installation of the Openarena Server and I can't seem to find a log file, which I was hoping to use for some clues. I know that apparently I can run the executable and redirect the output with ./ioq3ded > logfile.log but the way the files are organised on the Debian installation this doesn't work. The server is is supposed to be started through an init.d script, not through the executable directly. If one tries running the executable directly, one gets errors about pak0.pk3 can't be found etc. I've tried modifying the init script without success. Anyone know if there is a log file by default on Debian or how to produce one?
I don't have the Debian version myself, but
Code:
ioq3ded +set logfile 2
should yield a ~/.openarena/baseoa/qconsole.log file.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:06:13 AM by grey matter » Logged

This space is for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: