Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Differentiating colors for red and blue obelisks/flag basements?  (Read 8732 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« on: December 07, 2018, 10:43:07 AM »

Hi! The obelisks currently look made of some shiny black metal.
They look ok, but you can't tell the difference between blue/red/neutral obelisk by just looking at them.
In most cases it's not a real problem, as usually red and blue obelisks are placed within red and blue bases recognizable enough, but this is not always the case. Sometimes, mappers to not differentiate red and blue bases enough, and furthermore Harvester can be played in base-less maps (try it in am_galmevish2).

So, my suggestion is simply to differentiate the shaders for red and blue obelisks, to actually give them a bit of red and blue tones. Probably there is no need to make them bright, I guess dark red and dark blue may be enough... just to be able to distinguish between them!
(For both flag basement and overload obelisk models)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 02:00:34 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 01:30:18 PM »

I agree. In fact, for OA3, at least for the Harvester mode (the bases are fine as both flagbases in the CTF games and as the Obelisk base in Overload), the obelisks could be more noticeable. Here's a comparison.

Of course, the idea is NOT to copy them, but to create something with the same level of identification as "important item receptacle/generator", as key objective differentiation is an important component of many gametypes.

Problem is, I've tried to create several ASE designs, and none of them were worthy of replacing our current bases. u.u Here's where we could use concept art. Sad
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 01:35:21 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 01:45:29 PM »

My proposal was just a slight recolor of existing models, something which should require very little effort.

If you feel to do something more noticeable also in terms of shape, for me it's ok... but keep in mind that at the moment some maps use the "obelisk" (skull generator/receptacle model, not the Overload model) also as "flag basement" for flag-based modes.
Hence, the new models should still look good also with a flag over them, otherwise the gamecode should remove them in some flag-based modes (I can guess they should be still there in 1FCTF mode... but the skull generator should not interfere with the neutral flag).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 02:01:53 PM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 02:09:13 PM »

In Overload, TA uses a different model. I guess it's just a matter of knowing which models are loaded in Harvester mode and which models in Overload.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 02:23:00 AM »

My proposal was just a slight recolor of existing models, something which should require very little effort.
no

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2018, 10:06:11 AM »

no
Okay... but then, what do you plan?
A) Update the models design
B) Keep everything as is

(No haste, just to understand...)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 10:29:10 AM by Gig » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2018, 06:53:02 PM »

C) i'm an artist, so naturally i'd design and model a new thing of a new design.

and C isn't happening immediately.  I kind of have to forget i saw that comparison screenshot

(also the old model isn't even in OA3 anyway)

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2018, 02:25:47 AM »

Okay, thank you!  Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: