Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hopper Bot for OpenArena  (Read 10961 times)
ermonski
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: January 08, 2019, 02:03:49 AM »

Hello, folks.

I'm a big fan of the Hopper Bot mod for Quake 3 Arena, is there any way I can make it work for OA?

Thanks!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 02:53:53 AM »

This stuff?
https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake3-hopper
I didn't know about its existence, and I'm even a bit surprised about bot AI tweakings done through engine, as I thought the bot stuff was mostly gamecode-driven.

I haven't tried that, but considering it's in engine, I find it quite unlikely to have it working with OA, unless trying something like running baseoa as a mod within Q3...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
ermonski
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 02:44:00 PM »

This stuff?
https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake3-hopper
I didn't know about its existence, and I'm even a bit surprised about bot AI tweakings done through engine, as I thought the bot stuff was mostly gamecode-driven.

I haven't tried that, but considering it's in engine, I find it quite unlikely to have it working with OA, unless trying something like running baseoa as a mod within Q3...

Yeah that one! I wanted to make it work on OA since in my opinion stock OA bots are better than vQ3 bots and could be playable with that mod like it did with Q3
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »

The problem is that OA engine has got some changes from q3 engine, the first I can think about is the usage of "baseoa" instead of "baseq3" folder. That modified engine surely expects to find q3, not oa...
So maybe you may use some trick such as trying to run baseoa as a mod folder under q3... or maybe renaming baseoa to baseq3 instead? Uhm, I don't know.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 02:23:42 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 06:46:38 PM »

Engine mods won't work with OA by definition. Unless the code of the mod is released under an OA-compatible license so an OA version could be created from it.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: