Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Android Installation and Custom Bots (Two separate issues)  (Read 9163 times)
mod_mongerer
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 05, 2019, 09:13:59 AM »

Hi All,

Yet, another question.   Smiley  I successfully installed OpenArena for Android on two of my three devices.  After I first install the game, it connects to the sourceforge server to download the assets (.pk3 files).  This time around it says it cannot connect, even though I have an active WiFi connection on the device.  Did the server go down?  The Android device is running Kitkat, could this have anything to do with it?  Is there a way to bypass this and manually copy the assets from another one of my devices?  I tried copying them, but it still wants to connect to the server.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, on a different note, is there a site that has more custom characters or bots to download to add to the game's roster?  I'm having difficulty finding any on the internet.

Thanks again for any and all suggestions!
ELR1C_C150utcast
Nub

Cakes 0

I want to believe

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 02:04:25 PM »

Greetings!

I like to assume that the server must be down for dowbloading all the default pak files from sourceforge since i ran into the exact same problem installing the port driectly from google playstore this year. My solution was to go to an apk mirror like ApkPure and download an XAPK file containing all the necessary files from the latest release of the port. That site also has instructions on how to install XAPK files. Since you said you moved you attempted to copy the original files from another device that had Open Arena installed (i'm assuming its a pc)  you could technically skip this step, but the android port has a unique Pak7 pk3 file that has all the touch controls and options regarding the touchscreen ui stuff.

Here's the tricky part sorta: the app is looking for a specific file to confirm that the assets have been downloaded in the form of a .obb file i think, and it should be  located at the following filepath in the event that the apk had properly installed and downloaded all the assets:
 storage/emulated/0/android/obb

The file in question has the file name  " main.8828.ws.openarena.sdl.obb" located in
the folder named " ws.openarena.sdl".  If memory serves me right, once you downloaded the XAPK, this file should be included along with it since an XAPK is essentially an APK with all its assets packaged together. We best wait for Pelya for support since he was the one who made the port and is m9re knowledgable, but you can try my suggestions while waiting if you have time to spare.

As for bots and new skins i have done a good amount of surveying myself, and the biggest collection so far would be either of these two places:  

https://ws.q3df.org/models/  (worldspawn archive, where there are also a lot of skins for q3 characters, and for obvious reasons would not work with the Open arena characters)

http://ioquake3.org/extras/models/ (supposedly an old archived Polycount page that also has some weapon skins and sounds. Maybe even sprites/effects but i dont recall all too well)

You  can download maps from Lvlworld
https://lvlworld.com/

And if you want to legally frag characters from Quake, specifically Q1 and Q2, someone remade the Enforcer and Guard enemies respectfully from scratch:
http://www.tabun.nl/downloads.php

Filefront, fileplanet and Planet quake have had an abundance of models, especially Planet Quake.
The sad thing is filefront has most of the same items that worldspawn has if not less, and Planet Quake which had literally the complete motherload of unique and great quality custom character models and more was shutdown when gamespy was shutdown,all links leading to IGN. I'm assuming there's another archive site somewhere that had some of the other unique models intact.

I hope this could be of any use to you, and i bid thee well in getting OA android port to work!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 02:07:01 PM by ELR1C_C150utcast » Logged
mod_mongerer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 02:35:41 PM »

Thanks very much for the info!  Actually, I copied the assets from another Android device, so the special Pak7 file should have been copied as well.  Though, I didn't know about the obb file, so I'll try that trick and see what happens.  And thanks for the links to the custom resources for the game!
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »

I thought the in-game downloaded wasn't necessary anymore, and the pk3 files were downloaded from google play nowadays... but from your posys it looks like I was wrong...

I don't know what to do without pelya's support...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 12:58:10 PM »

Yes, the game should download all it's data from Play Store. Try to uninstall and reinstall it if you have the error. Sourceforge servers can go offline from time to time.
mod_mongerer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 03:41:04 AM »

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: