Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Edgy OA Content  (Read 104107 times)
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »

Myself, I don't see the reason behind having a gangster/amazon/lizard/spiderwoman/penguinman/merman/soldier/hopping corpse packed in as a single package, since there is no storyboard as to why nor a consistent theme behind them; but that is only my opinion

And the models that iD packaged with their game fit into Quake how?  With the exception of Bitterman, none can be found in any of the other games, so I am sorry but this argument of yours does not hold any weight, and can be summed up with the phrase "I don't like the current models in OA."

I would find a solution for it instead.

It is open source software, you are free to contribute better looking models as long as they are licensed under the GPLv2 and include source, how many times does this need to be said?

But dmn_clown, for your information so that you can sleep at night: I am a 30 year old man engaged with a wonderful woman and I intend to keep it that way.

Thanks, I was loosing so much sleep over that...

w1zrd

Cakes 2

Give to life what you expect back

« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2007, 04:01:07 PM »

Myself, I don't see the reason behind having a gangster/amazon/lizard/spiderwoman/penguinman/merman/soldier/hopping corpse packed in as a single package, since there is no storyboard as to why nor a consistent theme behind them; but that is only my opinion

And the models that iD packaged with their game fit into Quake how?  With the exception of Bitterman, none can be found in any of the other games, so I am sorry but this argument of yours does not hold any weight, and can be summed up with the phrase "I don't like the current models in OA."
My opinion does not need to 'hold any weight' as it just my opinion and it is already added to the "I don't like ALL the current models in OA" phrase. But I guess everyone in the world doesn't like chocolate either, believe it or not.
Quote from: dmn_clown
It is open source software, you are free to contribute better looking models as long as they are licensed under the GPLv2 and include source, how many times does this need to be said?
So because the game is licensed under GPLv2 are you saying that everyone who contributes to the project with a picture, a model, a map or a texture, that they all will be added to the upcoming releases, or do they still need to be commited/verified/checked by someone first before they are included?

'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

HanClinto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2007, 04:07:23 PM »

Here there is no such thing if u disregard Major.
I'd also like to note that I really do like the Kyonshi character -- she's really quite good as well. I think the default inclusion of the offensive ones are more of the issue.

--clint
supermatic
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2007, 04:43:39 PM »

Are pure stupid and add nothing of value to the discussion. It's like insinuating that the previous poster would be a homosexual for having an opinion or saying openly that tits corrupt our youth out of sarcasm, but that's another chapter.

You are saying that being a homosexual is bad, right? Smiley So, yes, i'm sarcastic all
the time becouse is funny to me how those tits bother peoples. But im ok with
everything, this game is fun as hell.
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2007, 05:02:25 PM »

Are pure stupid and add nothing of value to the discussion. It's like insinuating that the previous poster would be a homosexual for having an opinion or saying openly that tits corrupt our youth out of sarcasm, but that's another chapter.

You are saying that being a homosexual is bad, right? Smiley So, yes, i'm sarcastic all
the time becouse is funny to me how those tits bother peoples. But im ok with
everything, this game is fun as hell.
I am not saying being a homosexual is a bad thing nor is it an issue that belongs on this forum. I am saying that your comment implied that the previous poster was a homosexual and that could offend some people. Breasts are nice, but they are not to be enjoyed by a 12-year old sitting in front of the computer playing a game, in my opinion. Search engines like Google have SafeSearch and software programs like NannyFilter exist to prevent mature material being shown to kids, maybe if you were a parent you could understand the whole point of sexually driven contents a little bit better.
[edit: and yes, the game itself is very enjoyable]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 06:19:07 PM by w1zrd » Logged

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2007, 06:35:35 PM »

So because the game is licensed under GPLv2 are you saying that everyone who contributes to the project with a picture, a model, a map or a texture, that they all will be added to the upcoming releases, or do they still need to be commited/verified/checked by someone first before they are included?

If that is how you want to take it, take it that way.  All I'm saying is that I see a lot of people complaining and no one is submitting anything better, which they are free to do. 

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2007, 10:30:20 PM »

This thread is depressing. It makes me feel I can't do what I want to do anymore. Isn't that what Free Software is about?

Exactly. You have a website, forum, IRC channel. You wanted to share this with the world, and now, like it or not, you have a nice small community. Isn't that what you wanted?

I'm just doing a media pack. I consider the playable standalone game and a following as nice side effects. Popularity was and still is not my goal here. It's entirely experimental. I could care less if 0 people or 10060404556408337 people played the game
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:33:20 PM by leilol » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Coconut_Kapow
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #82 on: August 23, 2007, 02:03:49 AM »

This thread is depressing. It makes me feel I can't do what I want to do anymore. Isn't that what Free Software is about?

I am in full support of the current models and I actually use the Angelyss/Dark models quite often during bot matches -- one of my favorites! As "bad" or selfish as this sounds, if it was me (which it obviously isn't), I'd just let the people that don't like the game go somewhere else if they don't like it. Want an extremely violent gun game without showing skin? Hmmm, I think Star Wars Battlefront II is a pretty good multiplayer FPS game that the character models are mostly robots or people wearing robes and armor. It is actually an amazing game and one of my favorites, but it's commercial and not free.

There's that saying "no matter what you do there's someone that won't like it," and this most definitely seems like one of those cases. There will always be that small percentage of people that disagree with how things are being run, and they're usually the most vocal, while those that are content and happy with the game are just sitting back and *gasp* playing the game.

Good luck with whatever your decision is fromhell, but whatever you choose I am in full support of it and I think that the way things are now are wonderful. I can't ask for anything more (especially since it's free) and thank you for the time you've spent in bringing this game to my desktop and the masses -- especially the great changes made in 0.7.1

-Coconut
HanClinto
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2007, 07:19:54 AM »

Popularity was and still is not my goal here. It's entirely experimental. I could care less if 0 people or 10060404556408337 people played the game
Groovy. Thanks, fromhell! I had thought that popularity was a goal, but I'm honestly glad to have the updated clarification.

I think Anyone was right-on when he said:
I'm afraid the problem is more about chosing a side of the fence and stick to it)

That's exactly what I was wanting to know.

Thanks again for the discussion -- thanks for working this out with me.

Respectfully,
clint
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:22:10 AM by HanClinto » Logged
noisyb2
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

MY SECOND ACCOUNT AND IT'S BANNED !!

« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2007, 07:32:20 AM »

I'm just doing a media pack. I consider the playable standalone game and a following as nice side effects. Popularity was and still is not my goal here. It's entirely experimental. I could care less if 0 people or 10060404556408337 people played the game

That's a relief.. I was worried that you would care if I take your "media pack" and split it into the single maps for use with a real Q3 server in the 1500+ players Q3 network...

I asked you about automatic downloading in the past and you locked and deleted those topics including my account. Remember?

My plan is to use the maps from OpenArena on a Q3 server I would call "OpenArena" because Q3 players seem to be more used to downloading than OA players for some reason that you don't want to change.

The advantage for you would be that you can finally remove all cvars that allow to tweak the engine (you call it cheating as I've heard) and nobody, who would care, will waste your precious time because they can play all the OpenArena maps "somewhere" else.

It's a win/win situation, isn't it?

Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 07:38:41 AM by noisyb2 » Logged
kernel panic
Lesser Nub

Cakes 6

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2007, 07:36:39 AM »

As "bad" or selfish as this sounds, if it was me (which it obviously isn't), I'd just let the people that don't like the game go somewhere else if they don't like it.

There's that saying "no matter what you do there's someone that won't like it," and this most definitely seems like one of those cases. There will always be that small percentage of people that disagree with how things are being run, and they're usually the most vocal, while those that are content and happy with the game are just sitting back and *gasp* playing the game.

Thankfully enough, not everybody displays the same lack of sensibility to critics as you blatantly do. The people you would let go somewhere else--I'm already free to do whatever I please, thanks--have reiteratively stated their liking of the game and have also been extremely polite, I should say. Too easy to hold a debate when everything you are prepared to hear are your own ideas.

Now, same proposals have actually been made:

-not to enable by default what can be perceived as edgy content. (post #1)
-to try to agree on which models may need some redoing. (post #21)
-to pack that content as an additional download. (posts #1 and 39)
-to create a "safe" fork release. (post #73)
-an invitation to propose/create alternative models. (posts #75, 81 and possibly more)
-forget about the nutters. (post #83)

Before even considering any of these suggestions (or forthcoming ones), the questions posed earlier in the thread should have an answer, ortherwise we are uselessly increasing the entropy of the universe to no avail:

So, a few questions out of interest:
Q: What is the target audience for Open Arena? Are they 8-14, 17-25 or are they 25-35 maybe even older?
Q: What is the concept behind Open Arena? Is it to make an replica of Q3 but which is built under GPL license, or am I wrong?
Q: What is the art-direction concept behind Open Arena really?

After all, it may well be that we are an isolated group of fanatics that happen to enjoy the game but don't understand/share some points of it. I believe, though, that the following assertion is shared by us all:

[...] I mean, look at this thread! You see this as a 'them vs us' situation, and that is so not true.[...]
w1zrd

Cakes 2

« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2007, 07:50:06 AM »

Exactly. You have a website, forum, IRC channel. You wanted to share this with the world, and now, like it or not, you have a nice small community. Isn't that what you wanted?

As I have been reading up on the history of Open Arena since I fell in love with the project itself, and the idea behind it, I found that in the past you have been wanting people to contribute and help in making this idea come true. But now you are saying that the community supporting you and the project, everything behind it is not important to you? You are saying, as the main developer and creator of the game, that you don't care if people play the game and that because a handful of people have options you feel restricted in performing your work? There is a great difference in being open-minded and being naive, but maybe I am both if I think that this project was meant for the people just as much for yourself.

dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2007, 09:06:08 AM »

It's a win/win situation, isn't it?

Sure, go for it.  Just don't violate the terms of the license.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2007, 12:25:34 PM »

Thanks for misinterpreting my post everybody. Now how about i lock this thread and no one wins

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: